May want to wait for 3G iP

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I had a meeting with someone today, an aquaintance, that I will say runs a business heavily dependant on real time video streaming, who claims they are in talks with Apple to release a 3G iphone not long after the iphone releases. My friends technology requires nothing less than 3 G.
While the version I am talking about probably will probably release in the next 2 years, the 3G version should be soon after the original version.

I don't want an iphone in its current version but I thought I would release that tidbit for those drooling for one.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I had a meeting with someone today, an aquaintance, that I will say runs a business heavily dependant on real time video streaming, who claims they are in talks with Apple to release a 3G iphone not long after the iphone releases. My friends technology requires nothing less than 3 G.
While the version I am talking about probably will probably release in the next 2 years, the 3G version should be soon after the original version.

I don't want an iphone in its current version but I thought I would release that tidbit for those drooling for one.
Man, I was all set to get one the first day it's released...if a 3G version comes out shortly afterwards, I'll be one pissed camper... :confused:

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
Man, I was all set to get one the first day it's released...if a 3G version comes out shortly afterwards, I'll be one pissed camper... :confused:

what does soon mean?

why put out a non 3g phone, only to put out a 3g phone 3 months later.

does this sound like apple? who come out with new model every 12-18 months.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
They may have to take the wifi receiver out to put the UMTS modem in...I could see that happening.

The HTC Cavalier has both WIFI and UMTS at the same time. They dont HAVE to do anything. Wont stop them though, and wont stop them from making excuses about it. They did the same thing to the Samsung Blackjack.

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
The HTC Cavalier has both WIFI and UMTS at the same time. They dont HAVE to do anything. Wont stop them though, and wont stop them from making excuses about it. They did the same thing to the Samsung Blackjack.

Surur

I said they MAY have to...I was talking about space limitations. My TyTn has both also, and a touchscreen, but its not the iPhone so I don't see what the relevance is. Cavalier has no touchscreen, so you cannot compare sizes if thats what you meant.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
what does soon mean?

Well if we are talking Ipod, they have moved to the every 3-6 month mode now. Shuffle colors just released.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
so we'll be able to get our hands wet with the first release, return it, and then get the 3g version soon thereafter. at least we'll have a good idea by then if we would want to own either one of them.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
For how much though? And can't those only be used on newer devices?
It's a moot point. The real point is you can only expand the iPhone's available memory by buying a new iPhone instead of just buying a new memory chip - a chip you can (likely) use in your next phone too.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
a chip you can (likely) use in your next phone too.
You'd think that but I'm losing faith in the whole concept. I replaced a Treo 650 (SD) with a Nokia E61 (miniSD) and was thinking I might replace that with an E61i (microSD). I bet the device after that will have nanoSDHD or some-such :mad: You can see why the flash card manufacturers are doing this but I wish those designing and making phones hadn't bought into this forced 'upgrade' nonsense.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
You'd think that but I'm losing faith in the whole concept. I replaced a Treo 650 (SD) with a Nokia E61 (miniSD) and was thinking I might replace that with an E61i (microSD). I bet the device after that will have nanoSDHD or some-such :mad: You can see why the flash card manufacturers are doing this but I wish those designing and making phones hadn't bought into this forced 'upgrade' nonsense.

Bummer..which is why the treo 680 is good for me...I can use these same cars in my Nikon 5200 if I want to ;)...of course if I ever upgrade to a smaller thinner camera with microSD then I may have to change my phone too :D

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I am always surprised by this worry about card differences.

I have Compact flash that now cost me $19 for 2 GB for my Eos
SD that cost the same for my compact camers
and 2 gb Mini SD cost me $23.. whats the big deal?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site

When's the E61i coming? MicroSD, huh? Everything is getting way too small, LOL! I like mini, but micro is SOOO small. Someone on HoFo claimed they swallowed their's!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I am always surprised by this worry about card differences.

I have Compact flash that now cost me $19 for 2 GB for my Eos
SD that cost the same for my compact camers
and 2 gb Mini SD cost me $23.. whats the big deal?

If using in a phone, it's a hassle to keep moving your stuff from one card to another. Plus constantly having to buy a new card. And the new cards are usually expensive. I don't know what type of miniSD you have, but 2GB generally is around or over $40 everywhere I look. I want high speed, so it will be about $45-$55(or maybe even higher, I think that's for 1GB high speed) online from what I've seen.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
what does soon mean?

I wouldn't count on a new 3G phone too soon. Cingular DOES have a 3G network called BroadbandConnect... or "MediaNet" if you buy Cingular's associated Cingular Video service - in a FEW cities (more in the future for sure). But, it is based on RealVideo, NOT QuickTime or H.264 like Sprint PCS or the iTunes Store.

Check my posts from years back in regards to RealVideo. Basically, I detail why RealVideo is bad and h.264 is good.

Anyway...

Apple wants the iPhone to get its content primarily through iTunes, ideally by syncing with a Mac or Windows PC. Apple doesn't like the Cingular Video solution and doesn't want its customers to know it exists, much less use it... with good reason. It is simply the most awful experience ever made available to consumers.

But it would be very hard to introduce a true 3G iPhone and then have Cingular promote it strongly, only to say that it can't be used to view the mobile carrier's own video content. So instead Apple falls back to the slower EDGE network which inturn makes iPhone customers use iTunes to get most of their higher-resolution video.

So what it comes down to is this; Cingular wants the iPhone exclusive. Apple doesn't want Cingular Video. So the only elegant way around that problem is to make the iPhone incapable of operating on the 3G network.

Cingular wants video to succeed on their 3G and 4G platforms because it means a huge source of revenue. Apple's iPhone is the best handset yet for displaying that video. But Apple isn't going to allow it to happen without their QuickTime Server solution and the iTS being in the equation.

The market's ecstatic response to the iPhone will put strong pressure on Cingular. They will see a huge surge in new contracts contributed to the iPhone and then realize they should be accomodating to Apple. But only then will we see the iPhone suddenly become faster on a 3G network.

Dim-Ize

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
LOL.

What if the radio is there all along.

3-6 months later - they sell a billable IMEI printed patch to your phone - enabling the broadband for existing clients on their network - but charging for it.

That way, they lower the entry level price to get into the thing - and then recap on the backend with the upgrades.

I know. Not gonna happen.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro