May want to wait for 3G iP

sbono13

Oct 10, 2003
www.pyslent.com
So what it comes down to is this; Cingular wants the iPhone exclusive. Apple doesn't want Cingular Video. So the only elegant way around that problem is to make the iPhone incapable of operating on the 3G network.

Interesting thoughts, but I don't think they're really supported by facts. Palm 750 is 3G and it doesn't seem to support Cingular Video. Same is true about the Cingular 8525. Samsung Blackjack is the only 3G smartphone that does.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So much for that theory then. Could a more prosaic reason be than Apple just was not ready, but launched in any case, knowing fans will lap it up no matter how behind the times it was?

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I want high speed, so it will be about $45-$55(or maybe even higher, I think that's for 1GB high speed) online from what I've seen.
Faster is better! The 2GB Sandisk Ultra II miniSD I have now cost me a little over ?30 ($60). That's three times the upfront payment for the phone.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
sbono13, suror

I am not trying to disillusion anyone here. I am anonymous here and have nothing to gain.

If you want supporting facts from this post of mine from 3 weeks ago, check this article from yesterday:

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page94?oid=71939&sn=Detail

or this one:

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...NFZTZhA_2z8OBtD6GK900_20070224.html?mod=blogs

The key point I would like to address is in the sentance that reads: "John Stratton, was firm that Verizon wouldn't give up its ability to sell content like music and videos through its proprietary V Cast service."

What do you know, It seems I was correct.

Suror, I would appreciate you refraining from declaring what is fact based on other's mere opinions in an effort to sustain your ulterior motives.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Archie Archie Archie... Verizon if famous for having full control of the devices they sell. Clearly they wanted the IPhone to use THEIR service to buy music. Funnily enough Cingular does not have the same reputation. Saying Apple would DELIBERATELY CRIPPLE their device just to avoid being forced to use Cingular's WMA based service is beyond ridiculous.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Archie Archie Archie... Verizon if famous for having full control of the devices they sell. Clearly they wanted the IPhone to use THEIR service to buy music. Funnily enough Cingular does not have the same reputation. Saying Apple would DELIBERATELY CRIPPLE their device just to avoid being forced to use Cingular's WMA based service is beyond ridiculous.

Surur
HA!

I wish you would read what you post here because THAT is "beyond ridiculous".

Here, let me repeat for you in my own post for you: blah, blah, blah... Archie is always wrong and has no idea what he is talking about. Clearly I do because what is so ridiculous is that archie thinks that Apple doesn't want to use Microsoft's WMA based content on the Apple iPhone.

This is good stuff. Seriously, I burst out laughing when I read this.

Let me summarize it, can I—bwhaa, ha, ha, ha.
Hey everybody, surur doesn't think Apple would have a problem in supporting and strengthening Microsoft's WMA format in lieu of Apple's own "heart & soul", "life blood", "5 year court fighting worthy", "iTunes + iPod essence" technology called QuickTime.

BWHAAAAA HA HA HAH A!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
HA!

I wish you would read what you post here because THAT is "beyond ridiculous".

Here, let me repeat for you in my own post for you: blah, blah, blah... Archie is always wrong and has no idea what he is talking about. Clearly I do because what is so ridiculous is that archie thinks that Apple doesn't want to use Microsoft's WMA based content on the Apple iPhone.

This is good stuff. Seriously, I burst out laughing when I read this.

Let me summarize it, can I—bwhaa, ha, ha, ha.
Hey everybody, surur doesn't think Apple would have a problem in supporting and strengthening Microsoft's WMA format in lieu of Apple's own "heart & soul", "life blood", "5 year court fighting worthy", "iTunes + iPod essence" technology called QuickTime.

BWHAAAAA HA HA HAH A!

You are clearly a great believer in cutting off your nose to spite your face. How about Apple just saying no, without deliberately crippling their device? Not Machiavellian enough?

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
You are clearly a great believer in cutting off your nose to spite your face. How about Apple just saying no, without deliberately crippling their device? Not Machiavellian enough?

Surur
ummm... refer to my initial post. You know, the one you chose to discount.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
ummm... refer to my initial post. You know, the one you chose to discount.

archie said:
So what it comes down to is this; Cingular wants the iPhone exclusive. Apple doesn't want Cingular Video. So the only elegant way around that problem is to make the iPhone incapable of operating on the 3G network.

That you actually believe this is rather amazing. Is there also a conspiracy over why the IPhone does not have a keyboard?

Apple was already in a strong negotiating position. They did not have to do something so idiotic to avoid carrying Cingular Video. That you actually believe your explanation is reasonable speaks rather poorly of your reasoning ability.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Hmph! Well, we'll soon see, won't we.

If Cingular starts distributing content that is QT compatible or lets users purchase iTunes Store content through the iPhone, then I will be right.

If not then you would be correct in your prognostication that I would have a "poor reasoning ability".

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
If Cingular starts distributing content that is QT compatible or lets users purchase iTunes Store content through the iPhone, then I will be right.

How does that figure? You just said Apple crippled the phone for OTA downloads. Are you saying QT and other Itunes content wont be hampered in the same way by bandwidth issues? Maybe you want to expand on your argument, so I can see exactly where your logic error is.

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Cingular has already released 3g phones INCAPABLE of Cing. video. Treo and 8525 to be exact. Nice theory though, but Cingular obviously has no problem doing it....

Apple could easily make its own program to link to Itunes on the iPhone to purchase/watch videos on the device. I really think the iPhone isn't 3G capable right now because of battery and stability issues. 3G isn't fully reliable IMO (and I live in a city where 3g is supposedly "EVERYWHERE") and fluctuates too much between 3G/EDGE/GPRS, killing battery life. Until this issue geyts resolved Apple can't afford that risk with their intro phone...

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Cingular has already released 3g phones INCAPABLE of Cing. video. Treo and 8525 to be exact. Nice theory though, but Cingular obviously has no problem doing it....
That's right and as you have touched on, it was Cingular in control of releasing these phones. What you have forgotten is that Apple is in control of the iPhone and on top of that you have also forgotten that Apple would not damage their own services by support a competitors.

Apple could easily make its own program to link to Itunes on the iPhone to purchase/watch videos on the device. I really think the iPhone isn't 3G capable right now because of battery and stability issues. 3G isn't fully reliable IMO (and I live in a city where 3g is supposedly "EVERYWHERE") and fluctuates too much between 3G/EDGE/GPRS, killing battery life. Until this issue geyts resolved Apple can't afford that risk with their intro phone...
That's right! 3G only has about a 15-20% coverage right now with marginal reliability. You seem to have forgotten that I mention this lack of availability in my post. That is why they are initially offering the iPhone with 2.5G service (EDGE). That is why they can use it as a leveraging point.

Whay can't readers connect these dots that are so close together. I place these dots right next to each other and you people still get lost.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
How does that figure? You just said Apple crippled the phone for OTA downloads. Are you saying QT and other Itunes content wont be hampered in the same way by bandwidth issues?
Why don't you read it to find out. It's in there.

Maybe you want to expand on your argument, so I can see exactly where your logic error is.

Surur
That's a rather arrogant and audacious statement.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
That's right and as you have touched on, it was Cingular in control of releasing these phones. What you have forgotten is that Apple is in control of the iPhone and on top of that you have also forgotten that Apple would not damage their own services by support a competitors.

Right, but you said that this may be a reason not to throw 3G in the phone. All I said was that is not true, because 3G does not necessarily = Cingular Video.

That's right! 3G only has about a 15-20% coverage right now with marginal reliability. You seem to have forgotten that I mention this lack of availability in my post. That is why they are initially offering the iPhone with 2.5G service (EDGE). That is why they can use it as a leveraging point.

Whay can't readers connect these dots that are so close together. I place these dots right next to each other and you people still get lost.

I just connected the "dots," not sure why you are still trying to prove something here. I merely stated what I THINK is the reason why the iPhone doesn't have 3G right now. Coverage area aside, even the places that DO have coverage have spotty coverage at best... (yes, I do agree with you. It is possible)

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Then why not make the device 2.5g upgradeable to 3g via software patch/unlocking?

That's what the Palm/Service providers did with the Treo 750 which had HSDPA not-enabled on the device until the network providers were "ready".

That seems like a middle ground you are leaving out.

That avoids the problems you mentioned while protecting your customers from having out-dated devices in 6-12 months, no? Sort of like the Apple/802.11n issue?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Then why not make the device 2.5g upgradeable to 3g via software patch/unlocking?

That's what the Palm/Service providers did with the Treo 750 which had HSDPA not-enabled on the device until the network providers were "ready".

That seems like a middle ground you are leaving out.
I didn't leave it out. Check this post from JUST before the iPhone's introduction.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=1140978#post1140978

Towards the bottom I say, "Apple will be able to cater to the multiple phone markets because it will be able to work on most any network (like GPRS, GSM, Sprint PCS, Wi-Fi or even WiMax) utilizing Intel's software-defined radio for adaptability... and to also cut costs."

Added note: I do have to say though that I wasn't 100% sure this was incorporated but it is now looking like this is the case.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Archie, maybe you want others to connect the dots because you cant draw the lines yourself?

Surur
Here's a dot you were probably wishing wouldn't show up.

MarketingWeek reports that:

Despite reports that Vodafone would be the iPhone carrier, sources are saying T-Mobile is favored to secure the deal. Both carriers have been active in the music area, but apparently Vodafone's Live! portal would not be a good match with Apple's iTunes software.​

I must really bug you. :p

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh