Rumors: Leopard Top Secret Features

copernicus

Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
"iPhone integration is also a major feature that was left out of Jobs' presentation. When he showcased Leopard, the iPhone was not yet announced. We now learn that the iPhone runs a scaled down version of Leopard. And because Apple expects the iPhone to be more popular than the iPod, we can expect several enhancements in Leopard that tie in to the iPhone. We reported that Apple is still developing a mystery application for the iPhone that won't be released until the phone's release. This application could run independently from the computer, or have a direct tie in to Leopard. Although Apple offers the iPhone for both PC and Macs, some Leopard specific features are said to be installed in the iPhone, to help 'switch' users to the Macintosh platform."

Full Article...

Chatter

Sep 1, 2002
www.chatteremail.com
More nonsense from you. Why would there be a huge number of hits on iPod, when it's been around for years? IT'S NOT NEWS. To be as big as iPod, it would have to be sold to EVERY one of Cingular's customers in the US.

And why would I be in denial; I have no dog in this fight.

Marc

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Perhaps you should consider that the iPhone is an iPod... PLUS a phone.

That makes it more popular than the iPod.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I'm not saying it is going to sell in greater numbers than the iPod it's first year out. That is obviously not going to be the case. I am talking about popularity.

Chatter

Sep 1, 2002
www.chatteremail.com
So it can sell 5% as many as iPods, but be more popular? You are just spouting nonsense, as usual.

Marc

p.s. The typical archie modus operandi is, when proven wrong, to pull a humpty-dumpty and claim that words mean what he wants them to.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
No my modus operandi is to thrive on continually proving YOU wrong. And it's so easy. :)

Look I didn't start this thread, I was simply chiming in.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
there is only ONE measure of popularity in commerce...sales...and right now the iPhone stands at zero..I'd LOVE to see it outsell the much cheaper, bigger and more widely-accesorized iPod w/o Jobs simply pulling the pods from the shelf ...or selling the iPhone for $200 -$300 less w/o contracts!

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Perhaps you should consider that the iPhone is an iPod... PLUS a phone.

That makes it more popular than the iPod.
Of the 30 or so iPod users I've discussed this with, none of them are particularly interested in this phone. While they're probably not a representative cross-section of the entire iPod using community, they all felt the phone was cool, but too big, too clunky looking, too clumsy (requires 2 hands to use) for a phone. They plan to continue using their iPods to play music/videos and use their phones to make phone calls ... for the total cost of about $350.00.

Eric5273

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
they all felt the phone was cool, but too big, too clunky looking, too clumsy (requires 2 hands to use) for a phone.

It's actually very similar in size to the current 30 GB iPod. It's about the same footprint as the Treo 680, but half the thickness.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
It's actually very similar in size to the current 30 GB iPod. It's about the same footprint as the Treo 680, but half the thickness.
Or to compare it to a phone, it's very close in size to the Motorola Q (Q: 4.57" x 2.52" x 0.47", iPhone: 4.5" x 2.4" 0.46"). The folks I'm talking about find my Q something too clunky to hold against their face ... they're iPod owners for crying out loud, not nerds! :cool:

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
More popular than the iPod? Right!

I don't know Marc. But I do know that "these times they are a changing". I think Palm gave us too little too late, and unless they have something revolutionary up their sleeves they have something worry about. I'd love to see Chatter running on either the iPhone or Openmoko. Aren't you just yearning to try something new?!

Dunc

KMeloney

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
they all felt the phone was cool, but too big, too clunky looking, too clumsy (requires 2 hands to use) for a phone.

I can't speak for those 30 people you spoke to, but I don't see "too big, too clunky looking, [and/or] too clumsy."

Here are my thoughts on it:

Re: Too big -- It looks no larger than the Treo, yet we know it's thinner than the Treo. Using the Treo -- which I don't find to be "too big" -- as a measuring stick, I'd say that the iPhone should not be too big at all.

Re: Too clunky looking -- Again, it's thinner than the Treo, so that's out. And, it has no protruding antena, and is mostly smooth on all sides. I think this is about the most streamlined-looking phone out there.

Re: Too clumsy -- I still don't know what people are basing the "requires two hands" use thing on with this phone. Is it because Jobs used two hands in the address? That can't be it, can it? Heck, the Treo doesn't even require two hands. Sure, it's easier and faster to hold and type with two hands on the Treo -- but if it's easier and faster, then that's the route people will go. But it's not a requirement. My previous Nokia was very small, and two hands on that device didn't make much sense. Then again, texting on that phone with one hand was super-slow, so I'd never consider it "better" that I used one hand to type on it. AT VERY LEAST, the jury must still be out on the whole two-handed thing. I think we just have to wait and see, but I would bet it could be used with one hand.

/< / /2 /<

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Re: Too big -- It looks no larger than the Treo, yet we know it's thinner than the Treo. Using the Treo -- which I don't find to be "too big" -- as a measuring stick, I'd say that the iPhone should not be too big at all.
Yet, as cell phones go, the Treo is big. As PDA phones go, the Treo is average to above average size (especially the ones with the antenna). To people who love their iPod, but don't want a "nerd phone," the Treo is laughably large. :D
KMeloney said:
Re: Too clunky looking -- Again, it's thinner than the Treo, so that's out. And, it has no protruding antena, and is mostly smooth on all sides. I think this is about the most streamlined-looking phone out there.
It's a cubic rectangle with straight edges and curved corners...without the consideration of the shape of the human hand like an HTC Excaliber or HTC Meteor. I will admit it's very shiny though! ;)
KMeloney said:
Re: Too clumsy -- I still don't know what people are basing the "requires two hands" use thing on with this phone. Is it because Jobs used two hands in the address? That can't be it, can it? Heck, the Treo doesn't even require two hands. Sure, it's easier and faster to hold and type with two hands on the Treo -- but if it's easier and faster, then that's the route people will go. But it's not a requirement.
I think you miss my point. With a Treo (or any other PDA phone with a consolidated keyboard and navigation pointer like the 5-way) you can use it 1-handed...typically without even having to look at the screen or the keys. With the iPhone you're faced with a featureless, smooth surface displaying images under that surface, so you need to hold it with one hand, look at the screen to see what you want to press, then press it with a finger on the other hand. That's for typing, dialing, navigating, everything - period - because there's no other controls. If you try to one hand it, at best you'll just end up guessing about your (virtual) button press since there's no tactile feedback; at worst you'll experience the unintended consequences of a multi-touch digitizer and a big mushing thumb coming together on an otherwise elegant screen.

If you come from the world of one handed, tiny phone operation (like the ~30 friends I mentioned) with a wholly separate music device for when you want to listen to music (because who wants to do both of those activities at the same time anyway?), then you don't see any use for the iPhone...as a phone replacement. They are all, to a person, exceedingly interested in an iPod replacement that can do the things they saw Stevie J do with his iPhone...but they don't want to make phone calls on it or pay $600 for it. :eek:

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
The exception??

Of the 30 or so iPod users I've discussed this with, none of them are particularly interested in this phone. While they're probably not a representative cross-section of the entire iPod using community, they all felt the phone was cool, but too big, too clunky looking, too clumsy (requires 2 hands to use) for a phone. They plan to continue using their iPods to play music/videos and use their phones to make phone calls ... for the total cost of about $350.00.

Well, I have an iPod and a Treo. I would love to be able to carry only 1 device. Guess I'm the exception? However, if it's true that people want to have a separate music player from a phone, why are all these new phones coming out featuring their music capabilities? I do love the Christina Aguilera Chocolate commercials--yet I'd never go with Verizon(too expensive).

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Well, I have an iPod and a Treo. I would love to be able to carry only 1 device. Guess I'm the exception?
No. According to my friends, you're not so much the exception as just the nerdy guy. :p BTW, did you know you can purchase an SD card for your Treo and load all kinds of music on it to play? Up to the same 8GB the iPhone will have? That way you can have your music on your phone! :rolleyes:
MacUser said:
However, if it's true that people want to have a separate music player from a phone, why are all these new phones coming out featuring their music capabilities?
You mean the phones that hold nearly as much as a low-end nano? Or the ones that force you to purchase the phones from your wireless service? Like the Moto ROKR or the LG Chocolate? Pass... By this logic, I shouldn't need to purchase a camera either since many phones already have built in cameras. Pass...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR