Reading up on the iphone religiously everyday Is making me have second thought about it regardless how revolutionary it it. I said to myself, hey there will be/and are other things out there. Doing a little research this is what i found. Yes this has been in the works for quite some time but i thought i share it with the ones who haven't heard of it...enjoy! Oh IMO I would swipe my Atm card on this one anytime before the Iphone.

specs:
    http://mobile.qj.net/OpenMoko-FIC-Ne...g/49/aid/79016

iphone vs neo1973
    http://www.metaportaldermedienpolemi...s+apple+iphone
    01-23-2007 09:53 AM
    As far as I can see - the only "neo" that actually exists at the moment is a plastic mock-up. Is there any footage of anything.. ya know.. working?

hum.. further investigation reveals that it will be available @ march - yet at the January CES, the only video seems to be of a plastic mock-up....
    01-23-2007 10:45 AM
    A further look around the net is setting off all my "vaporware" alarm bells - even on their own site, there is not a sniff of anything that is not a photoshop mock-up - which is odd when you consider they plan to send those out to selected developers on feb 11th.
    01-23-2007 10:59 AM
    Small screen is a deal killer for me .
    I am tired, my eyes are hurting browsing on treos' and Nokia E61 .
    I need a large screen .
    BTW never heard of 'neo' as big smartphone company i.e samsung , HTC, SE ,palm or even apple . It's a vaporware ,untill it is released and .
    01-23-2007 11:13 PM
    I hope there are some updates come Feb. I don't think you can compare other vaporware items with the iPhone. We've seen an iPhone...
    01-24-2007 12:07 AM
    Who knows what the OS will do... I wouldn't want to be strapped to a proprietary OS without a paddle. However, I like the design of it.
    Small screen is a deal killer for me .
    I am tired, my eyes are hurting browsing on treos' and Nokia E61 .
    I need a large screen .
    BTW never heard of 'neo' as big smartphone company i.e samsung , HTC, SE ,palm or even apple . It's a vaporware ,untill it is released and .
    01-24-2007 06:54 PM
    Who knows what the OS will do... I wouldn't want to be strapped to a proprietary OS without a paddle. However, I like the design of it.
    Specimen ,
    I need a bigger screen . Email/internet /phone /contacts /calendar is all i need .
    I don't want butler , 3rd party alarm softwares and others.......
    If a phone can do all that properly , i do not care ,whether the plateform is open or closed.
    01-24-2007 10:09 PM
    ^what he and/or she said

so much drama
    01-24-2007 10:53 PM
    Any sign of this? Is this vaporware?
    02-13-2007 12:50 PM
    Specimen ,
    I need a bigger screen . Email/internet /phone /contacts /calendar is all i need .
    I don't want butler , 3rd party alarm softwares and others.......
    If a phone can do all that properly , i do not care ,whether the plateform is open or closed.
    When you put it like that... Me too!
    02-14-2007 06:04 PM
    Why would someone choose the iPhone if Music Playback wasn't one of the desired features?
    02-15-2007 08:44 AM
    Why would someone choose the iPhone if Music Playback wasn't one of the desired features?
    You could say the same thing about the Treo. But like the Treo, Music isn't the only thing the iPhone does. I don't personaly listen to music on my treo, and with a 60g iPod, I probably won't be using an iPhone for music, especially with it's measly 8g max capacity.
    02-15-2007 02:53 PM
    A further look around the net is setting off all my "vaporware" alarm bells - even on their own site, there is not a sniff of anything that is not a photoshop mock-up
    The first batch shipped to developers this week. The next batch, for sale to enthusiasts, is scheduled to ship at the end of the month! Personally, I can't wait.
    03-07-2007 12:07 AM
    The first batch shipped to developers this week. The next batch, for sale to enthusiasts, is scheduled to ship at the end of the month! Personally, I can't wait.

Enthusiasts? How, pray tell, does someone qualify for the "enthusiast" shipment? :hmm:
    03-07-2007 12:13 PM
    No, REALLY - if this is for real, how does one qualify? There are at least 4-5 of us here who should easy qualify as enthusiasts of this particular device. Tell us the source so we can get hooked up...

I'm betting availability of these things is going to be luck of the draw for a few months after the initial release - at least! I've pretty much decided to forego the 8525 for now since finding out we are going to be at least November before getting 3G. Now I'm just stuck waiting for tasty iPhone goodness...

Oh, and to combat my earlier concerns regarding 8gb memory, I'll just have to get one of those Seagate 20gb Bluetooth hard drives that should hit the shelves just about simultaneously with the iPhone shipping...
    03-07-2007 03:37 PM
    Oh well, I guess Apple hired a hit man to silence poor Dunc for leaking info...

03-09-2007 04:10 PM
    Oh well, I guess Apple hired a hit man to silence poor Dunc for leaking info...

not to point out the obvious but have you tried Google?

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FAQ

That's a whole site dedicated to the project, with updates, info and the above FAQ.

The information about "enthusiasts" is incorrect afaik. There are early release versions for "developers" on the project but not for the public per se.
    03-09-2007 08:35 PM
    The information about "enthusiasts" is incorrect afaik.
    You're right, enthusiasts was a poor choice of words. Officially, it's developers and hackers. Unofficially, it's anyone with $350.

Dunc
    03-11-2007 09:37 PM
    I dont know if this has been brought up before, maybe it has. But to me, the iPhone looks extremely delicate and fragile. That large screen is just "out there", unprotected, waiting to be cracked.
    Considering there are no keys and the entire interface relies only on the touchscreen, if anything goes wrong with it, you lose all functionality.
    And for $600 I wouldnt want to be throwing that in my pocket, purse, or on my car seat.
    With my luck I'd probably sit on it or something.

Give me a sturdy, durable smartphone with an actual keypad, that can take somewhat of a beating.
    With an IPhone, I'd feel like I need to carry it around in a titanium case, just to keep it from cracking.
    The iPhone's durability will probably be its achille's heel. Yes, it's cool-as-hell, but I wouldnt want to carry one around with me.
    03-14-2007 05:23 PM
    Don't worry, I'm sure someone is busy developing a super cool Ti case for the iPhone as we speak!

I'll be looking for a nice Bellagio or Vaja case for it as soon as it comes out for just the reason you suggested - it doesn't look to be the most "robust" piece of gear out there...
    03-14-2007 10:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD