More Iphone competition

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
So you're finally getting cheaper unlimited in more parts!! That's good!
Mostly down to T-Mobile. I pay ?7.50 pcm for 'unlimited' data (capper at 1GB)

I'm planning on building mobile versions of my websites. They should be easier to download. Honestly, IMO most phone screens are just too small for full HTML sites.
Agreed, although the S60 browser has a pretty good stab at most sites.

This is one reason why the iPhone MAY do well among those who use their phones for browsing a lot.
Agree again. That Safari on the iP has the same underpinnings as the S60 browser is very encouraging IMHO.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Maybe and maybe not IMO. While the iPhone UI looks very good, SE Walkman phones have a somewhat cooler UI! I also like Symbian S60 3rd edition UI. The iPhone screen can't beat though!
I like the UI on my daughter's 810i (thanks for the advice you gave on that phone in another thread, btw) but it is a little cartoonish - no doubt to appeal to the younger generation. I do see what Surur's saying when he says the iP UI is 'fisher price' - I suspect Apple have half an eye on the youth market - but I still think they've done a cracking job with the way it looks. Not just the cleanliness and pretty icons, but the transitions, animations, etc. It really makes others look at bit dull IMHO. Perhaps I'm still a bit of kid at heart :)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I agree the IPhone UI is very pretty, and I wish Apple did not suppress the copies floating around so viciously.

Surur

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I think they both have cool screens! Both are cool eye candy. I just think they may not make good every day, work horse phones.

my take from day one..neither of these phones will make it into the office...but they'd be good to show off at a party or shopping :D

Maybe and maybe not IMO. While the iPhone UI looks very good, SE Walkman phones have a somewhat cooler UI! I also like Symbian S60 3rd edition UI. The iPhone screen can't beat though!

I like SE phones but those b*stards are too damn expensive..I feel they and the iPhone will be in the same price category...

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
The PRADA phone actually comes with 4 changeable themes, if you watch the YouTube video. The rest are more colorful, and features animations such as the aquarium theme with a swimming fish, and the butterfly theme with obviously a flying butterfly.

When placed side by side the IPhone looks rather gaudy and rather un-Apple-like. What happened to their classical minimalism?

cmdpreviewinwebbrowserkf0.jpg

Surur

the iPhone looks "gaudy" in comparison? it is HARDLY showy, tasteless, cheap, or overly bright.

flying butterflies and swimming fish? yes, that perhaps is gaudy. maybe you have them mixed up or something like that. or perhaps your mind is stuck on those goofy 3rd party home page/launcher apps for palm/wm5 that display meters and cute little application icons?

gaudy the iphone screen is not, at least in my eyes. and yes, you're entitled to your opinion just as well. would be fun to poll though.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes, aquariums are probably gaudy, which is why the PRADA theme is black, stylish and understated. I cant think of a phone UI more showy and overly bright than the IPhone. Look at all those primary colours! Gaudy is pretty appropriate. I wonder if Apple will allow you to change it.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
gaudy is not appropriate. colors are just that. would you be happy with pastels? i think many others with the exception of yourself are happy with what they see (the whole package) and a good reason for so many wanting to buy/try out the product when it hits the shelves.

there is nothing tasteless about it

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
When it comes to matters of fashion and taste I'm obviously wandering way out of my area of expertise, but I would have hoped PRADA knows something about the subject.

Anyway, to draw a bit of line under this particular topic, when the Iphone will be sold in Europe the PRADA phone will present some competition to it amongst fashionistas.

Surur

bclancy

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
echo "KTF" | tr 'K' 'W'

My first reaction to this KTF phone was "so what". My first reaction to the Apple Phone, was: wow, really cool. (Perhaps too expensive and not exactly for me, but this thing will be a real winner.)

I don't think the WTF phone has a touch screen,does it? (And that keybord really looks like it sucks big time!)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
One could summarize it as there is only one IPhone, with all the IPhone features and IPhone OS. There are however phones with some of the features, and there are phones with many of the features, and there are phones with more features, but no all of the IPhone features. Whether these phones do anything for you would depend if its the whole package which captivates you, or one particular stand out feature, which you may find in another phone also.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I like the UI on my daughter's 810i (thanks for the advice you gave on that phone in another thread, btw) but it is a little cartoonish - no doubt to appeal to the younger generation. I do see what Surur's saying when he says the iP UI is 'fisher price' - I suspect Apple have half an eye on the youth market - but I still think they've done a cracking job with the way it looks. Not just the cleanliness and pretty icons, but the transitions, animations, etc. It really makes others look at bit dull IMHO. Perhaps I'm still a bit of kid at heart :)

But those SE Walkman themes are COOL!! LOL! Plus did you try out the Orbit theme? And then you can download w810i themes galore! :D

You're welcome, BTW.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
It copies most of the bad things about the IPhone (closed OS, lack of important hard buttons), without the good things (massive storage, very slick UI), in a bulkier package. Not good.

Surur

bloodycape77

May 27, 2006
Visit site
What is sorta odd is Samsung is probably the one suppling Apple the flash memory for the iPhone(I know they suppling it for the nano), but yet their phone which I guess is suppose to competition does not come with it.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Zune Phone Confirmed?

"Zune Phone Confirmed! Launch Scenario! 4G WiMax Action! Rumors Off the WTF-o-Meter" (click to read more)
We don’t wanna say we told you so, but, ya know, we did. On Monday, Microsoft filed a mystery application with the FCC for an enigmatic wireless device that could be used to talk over the Internet....

So to summarize:

- Zune Phone might be announced next month and released in May :eek:

- It'll use Sprint's upcoming 4g Wimax technology

- You could trade songs with your friends, anywhere in the US with Wimax

Wow, this could get real interesting if all true. I love techno-drama.

Now this can be accurately compared to the iPhone as opposed to the Q, Treo line, etc, which are more professional, business, PDA devices.

Lets just hope it works well. Being Zune/MS, I have doubts but I think the 4g thing and no doubt lower price (Ballmer pretty much forced himself on that by mocking the iphone's cost) is a start in the right direction :eek: Plus I like Sprint so much more. Then again, I'm not in the market for a media/phone device so I don't really care how good it is, lol.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Accroding to NewsWeek, Bill Gates says "no zune phone"

http://www.myiphone.com/bill-gates-says-no-zune-phone-09363.php
Really?

Call me crazy, but I did not read that and more accurately, they put

"Bill Gates says "no zune phone"."

He never said that and those are not his quotes. That's a completely misleading title, imo.

He said:

Q: Will Microsoft now change its mobile-phone strategy and adopt an end-to-end approach, the way Apple has with the iPhone?

A: No, I don’t think so. People like different styling, media storage, capability [in phones]. The benefit we get from having lots of great hardware partners is pretty phenomenal. And our software can run on any one of those things.

That sounded more like talking about WM5/WM6 since that is true, not about Zune. It also seemed more a question of overall strategy not about specific products.

Plus, I'd really read the main article from Market Watch which I think completely contradicts the notion they are not working on some type of zune phone/voip/mobile device e.g. you still need to explain away the FCC filing.

Microsoft says that the intended use of the device is "consumer broadband access and networking."

So this might not be a "phone" in the traditional sense, but something more of a "mobile internet communications device". Interesting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2