More Iphone competition

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
And if you could parse English it could mean:

a) there is no browser.
b) the browser isn't full featured
c) there is no WIFI on the device

Or any combination of the above. The specs say it has a browser. It has EDGE, and we know it has no WIFI. I wonder which interpretation is the most appropriate....

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
The one which says the Prada phone doesn't allow Internet use.

It may have restricted access through the carrier giving something like sports scores and weather but that is all.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The one which says the Prada phone doesn't allow Internet use.

It may have restricted access through the carrier giving something like sports scores and weather but that is all.

cmdpreviewinwebbrowserkg1.jpg

http://www.cellulare-magazine.it/news.php?id=6564

European phones are not usually tied to carriers.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
^^wow...that screen shot/image looks like crap but arguably better than the anything currently available via Palm (wm5/palm os)

to each his/her own i suppose.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
^^wow...that screen shot/image looks like crap but arguably better than the anything currently available via Palm (wm5/palm os)

to each his/her own i suppose.

Click the link for the whole article. More screenshots. It really doesn't look that bad. It's actually cool you get a black theme.

Looks like it has calender and tasks too. Maybe the browser is just a WAP browser and that's what they meant in that other post. WAP is doable. Many may not be able to afford downloading HTML sites anyway in Europe. More data bandwidth.

It's not bad for a fun phone, just expensive. Any newer SE or Nokia phone will do the same things at 30-40% less. We just don't get the design.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
ok...do they come with a 30 day return policy for international sales?

or will it not work here?

if it won't work here, i could care less about it.

thanks though!

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
WAP is doable. Many may not be able to afford downloading HTML sites anyway in Europe. More data bandwidth.
True for many in Europe but not for all. Cheap unlimited data and 3G is the sweet spot and is certainly available at least in parts of Europe; in the UK it's just a question of choosing the right carrier and plan. As to WAP, I'd find WAP-only horribly restrictive - most of the sites I want to visit have no WAP version!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
It has a browser, and they mention horizontal scrolling by touching transparent arrows, which suggests more than a WAP browser. There is also speculation that the browser supports flash (as the UI is based on it), which will be useful for a massive amount of websites, and better than the IPhone.

Interestingly the video shows it has no software keyboard, just the usual keypad for T-9. This is apparently on purpose, and appreciated by the Italian reviewer, who was obviously much more practices in the texting art than using mini-keyboards.

The PRADA name should tell us that this phone is meant for show, not functionality. It does give the IPhone a run for its money when it comes to style however, which is really the IPhone's main strong point in any case.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
It has a browser, and they mention horizontal scrolling by touching transparent arrows, which suggests more than a WAP browser. There is also speculation that the browser supports flash (as the UI is based on it), which will be useful for a massive amount of websites, and better than the IPhone.
About Flash on the iPhone Steve Jobs said:

?Well, you might see that.?

David Pogue has corrected his blog in which he originally said there would be no flash.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/13/ultimate-iphone-faqs-list-part-2/

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes, but we know the CURRENT version does not have flash. The IPhone may also come with a kitchen sink, but at least the reviewers did not notice one in their models.

The PRADA phone actually comes with 4 changeable themes, if you watch the YouTube video. The rest are more colorful, and features animations such as the aquarium theme with a swimming fish, and the butterfly theme with obviously a flying butterfly.

When placed side by side the IPhone looks rather gaudy and rather un-Apple-like. What happened to their classical minimalism?

cmdpreviewinwebbrowserkf0.jpg

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
True for many in Europe but not for all. Cheap unlimited data and 3G is the sweet spot and is certainly available at least in parts of Europe; in the UK it's just a question of choosing the right carrier and plan. As to WAP, I'd find WAP-only horribly restrictive - most of the sites I want to visit have no WAP version!

So you're finally getting cheaper unlimited in more parts!! That's good!

I'm planning on building mobile versions of my websites. They should be easier to download. Honestly, IMO most phone screens are just too small for full HTML sites. This is one reason why the iPhone MAY do well among those who use their phones for browsing a lot.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Yes, but we know the CURRENT version does not have flash. The IPhone may also come with a kitchen sink, but at least the reviewers did not notice one in their models.

The PRADA phone actually comes with 4 changeable themes, if you watch the YouTube video. The rest are more colorful, and features animations such as the aquarium theme with a swimming fish, and the butterfly theme with obviously a flying butterfly.

When placed side by side the IPhone looks rather gaudy and rather un-Apple-like. What happened to their classical minimalism?

Surur

I think they both have cool screens! Both are cool eye candy. I just think they may not make good every day, work horse phones.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I was responding to your comment that:

There is also speculation that the browser supports flash (as the UI is based on it), which will be useful for a massive amount of websites, and better than the IPhone.
and just pointing out that there is some evidence that the iPhone might have flash. The current version is a prototype and we know that some aspects of it are unfinished. I'd suggest that from a user's point of view that the features that are in the products that ship are the more interesting.

When placed side by side the IPhone looks rather gaudy and rather un-Apple-like.
Beauty's in the eye...etc, etc. I think the iPhone UI looks prettier than any other phone UI I've seen.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Maybe and maybe not IMO. While the iPhone UI looks very good, SE Walkman phones have a somewhat cooler UI! I also like Symbian S60 3rd edition UI. The iPhone screen can't beat though!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR