More Iphone competition

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
It will be successful for Apple but not others because they will not put the money and R&D into developing a touch-sensitive keyboard that will "float".

LG??? I wasn't aware that they were using a screen-based keyboard. Which model? Is it the $750 model that everybody here at TreoCentral (except for me) compares to the iPhone?
yep LG850 or something like that...actually came out b4 iphone technically... not sure either will ever be mainstream phones...maybe mediacenter is a better word for them.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
I went to phonescoop.com and couldn't find the LG phone that you might have been alluding to. Do share... I think we're all going to be impressed with the touchscreen technology. You must remember Steve Jobs has been walking around with this thing persecuting it to perfection. I am certain he will spend the next 6 months refining it. I think it will float and not sink.
SO um..back on topic! That no keyboard thing...will it sink or float? Will competitors even bother with that (apart from LG)??

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
yep LG850 or something like that...actually came out b4 iphone technically... not sure either will ever be mainstream phones...maybe mediacenter is a better word for them.
But this LG that you mention (which is the same that everybody here seems to like comparing to the iPhone simple because the ear piece looks like the LG) doesn't even have a screen-based keyboard.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
But this LG that you mention (which is the same that everybody here seems to like comparing to the iPhone simple because the ear piece looks like the LG) doesn't even have a screen-based keyboard.

lg-prada-phone.jpg

How did you expected it dialed?

lg-ke850-if.jpg

Hey, this looks familiar!!! Apple clearly copied this device!!!!

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
lg-prada-phone.jpg

How did you expected it dialed?
Why did you bother highlighting my text - "doesn't even have a screen-based keyboard" - and then point out that it does have a number pad. I fully expected it would have numbers to dial but as I said, it does not have a keyboard. Which, incidentally is what everybody at TreoCentral deems so very necessary!!!???

My question marks are to indicate my puzzlement with you equating the LG to the Treo but yet I can't put the iPhone into the same category as this Treo. So my question remains, "How is the LG better than the iPhone when it doesn't have a keyboard?"

lg-ke850-if.jpg

Hey, this looks familiar!!! Apple clearly copied this device!!!!

Surur
Yeh, you're right. I'm sorry.

Its amazing how people can associate and project Apple quality onto a device when it uses the same kind of desktop wallpaper.

LG: 3 buttons
Apple: 1 button

LG: screensize is miniscule and surrounded by a huge black bezel
Apple: screensize is huge and surrounded by a thin chrome strip

LG: approximates the shape of an Altoids cannister
Apple: smoothly rounded case design allows it to slip easily in & out of pockets

LG: thicker body
Apple: thinner body

And this is to say nothing of how the phone actually works. ie: LG does not have a multi-touch display, etc, etc.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Oh noess!! Its 0.5 mm thicker!!! A whole 0.02 inches!!! Yet its smaller and 40% lighter and 17 cubic centimeters smaller, and probably has a higher pixel density than Apple's much vaunted 160 ppi. And heaven forbid you can answer the phone without looking at the screen.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
No 850 band though, from what I understand? :(

Doesn't look like it. Its a Euro phone. Anyway Phone Diva, despite besting the IPhone by featuring a removable battery and removable storage, plus real phone buttons and a LED flash, and being smaller and weighing less, and playing aac's and wma's etc, I'm sure its too much of a dumb phone for you, no matter how pretty.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Oh noess!! Its 0.5 mm thicker!!! A whole 0.02 inches!!! Yet its smaller and 40% lighter and 17 cubic centimeters smaller, and probably has a higher pixel density than Apple's much vaunted 160 ppi. And heaven forbid you can answer the phone without looking at the screen.

Surur

That's awesome! i love the less heavy devices.

how heavy is it? it's not obvious what you are comparing it to.

thanks!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Doesn't look like it. Its a Euro phone. Anyway Phone Diva, despite besting the IPhone by featuring a removable battery and removable storage, plus real phone buttons and a LED flash, and being smaller and weighing less, and playing aac's and wma's etc, I'm sure its too much of a dumb phone for you, no matter how pretty.

Surur

what are "real phone buttons?" are there fake ones on the market?

thanks!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site

Surur

Does it have no email capability and no browser? No calender, tasks and contacts? If so, then it would be useless for me. Even Sony puts those on it's dumb phones.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Iphone 115?61?11.6 mm 135 g
Prada phone 98.8 x 54 x 12 mm 85 g

From screen shots we can see it has e-mail, and some kind of web browser. There is a video of the interface a bit further up. Its still a closed system however.

Re real vs fake buttons, of course I am referring to physical vs virtual buttons.

The Prada phone is nice, the Iphone is probably better in a number of areas, and worse in some, but both would not meet the criteria for most people on this board, despite their good looks.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
The Prada phone is nice, the Iphone is probably better in a number of areas, and worse in some, but both would not meet the criteria for most people on this board, despite their good looks.

Surur

tough to say if a device would meet or not meet "most" people's criteria on this board given that the first iteration of the iphone isn't yet even available.

probably difficult to tabulate without a large degree of error at this stage.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
SO um..back on topic! That no keyboard thing...will it sink or float? Will competitors even bother with that (apart from LG)??
A software keyboard been available on the PPC platform for about 5 years. The latest version of one by SPB Software is listed here. It's usable, but awkward due to the user's inability to "feel" the keys...like on the iPhone.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Iphone 115?61?11.6 mm 135 g
Prada phone 98.8 x 54 x 12 mm 85 g

From screen shots we can see it has e-mail, and some kind of web browser. There is a video of the interface a bit further up. Its still a closed system however.

Re real vs fake buttons, of course I am referring to physical vs virtual buttons.

Surur
I just watched a demo video of this phone. There is no browser. Not a surprise really considering the interface is Flash.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
A software keyboard been available on the PPC platform for about 5 years. The latest version of one by SPB Software is listed here. It's usable, but awkward due to the user's inability to "feel" the keys...like on the iPhone.
blah, blah, blah... Apple's no good... blah, blah, blah...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I just watched a demo video of this phone. There is no browser. Not a surprise really considering the interface is Flash.

There is a browser. The interface has very little to do with the apps. You are wrong a lot, arnt you.

Surur