More Iphone competition

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Thank you.

On another note, PCs are better than Macs. Discuss.

Hiyas, TastyP....hope all is well. i used to think that pc's were better than macs until i purchased my first macbook pro. i have been building my own pc's (gaming rigs) for years now. while robust and built with name brand components (all still running, hand-me-downs now) they've had their issues along the way. i'm so surprised and impressed by the macbook pro (2.31ghz, 2gb ram, ati 256mb gaming card) and what it can do that i would actually buy apple/mac computers here on out. i just love their design and what they can do, today (duo core chips, gaming able video cards, ability to run windows if u want it to).

my .02!

take care

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Thank you.

On another note, PCs are better than Macs. Discuss.

Only in terms of software availability. For some reason, many developers think everyone is on Windows only. :thumbsdn:

I'd have moved to Mac long ago IF software developers at the time weren't so slow in realizing people actually use Macs. I had a few programs that were necessities and there were no Mac versions. NOW there are, but now I've invested too much in PC software. :(

I'd have to start over from scratch at some expense. We'll see, I'm still considering it. But then some of my phones will not sync with Mac.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
^Remember Lady, Macs can now run Windows via the mac os (x10?) op system so you would be able to run your windows based software programs.

regards

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
For some reason, many developers think everyone is on Windows only. :thumbsdn:

I'd have moved to Mac long ago IF software developers at the time weren't so slow in realizing people actually use Macs.
I suspect with only a ~4% of the worldwide OS market (compared to Windows ~86%), Mac commercial software development remains a shaky business proposition at best.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Several companies have made both Windows and Mac versions. That's no longer an excuse.
Clearly you're not in the commercial software industry - it's a significant excuse. Profitability with a Windows software package has no bearing on how that software will be accepted on a Mac - even with the traditional Mac software additional markups. It's generally more profitable and less risky to focus on one platform - and Windows is the dominant platform to focus on. And it's not as it a program written for Windows is easily ported over to OSX.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Clearly you're not in the commercial software industry - it's a significant excuse. Profitability with a Windows software package has no bearing on how that software will be accepted on a Mac - even with the traditional Mac software additional markups. It's generally more profitable and less risky to focus on one platform - and Windows is the dominant platform to focus on. And it's not as it a program written for Windows is easily ported over to OSX.

I have several CDs where the software is for both platforms OR they just made a seperate program period. Maybe smaller companies can't afford to do it, I'll give you that. But some of the bigger companies are finally coming around. They don't use that excuse anymore.

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
Hey everyone, I forgot to turn on the <irony> tags when I said "PCs are better than Macs". It was a joke. Sorry for the pathetic attempt at humor.

It was a poke at the hysterical/religious fervor with which the iPhone topic is attacked. Or the PalmOS/WM operating system hoo-hah that goes through here.

Right. We've squared that up. Poo, meet fan. Fan, meet poo. Everyone as you were. Back at it.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
^Lady, i see you purchased? a new 750. congrats if so. i sent mine back, still too big, not much better than what i currently use (for my needs).

my friend, OSX10 can run Windows XP which means you can load any/all of your Windows based software (xp compatible if not more) on the Mac. You simply boot into Windows when starting up your Mac (instead of booting into the Mac OS).

i think you understand what i'm trying to say, i'm sure you knew this before (or at least had an idea of it).

regards

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
I have several CDs where the software is for both platforms OR they just made a seperate program period. Maybe smaller companies can't afford to do it, I'll give you that. But some of the bigger companies are finally coming around. They don't use that excuse anymore.
What you're often seeing are companies that started off writing Mac-only software, but re-hosted to PC to make more money (Adobe comes to mind). The vast majority of the Windows software developers never go near the Mac - it's just not a profitable venture. Or are you describing your latest AOL CD? :D

If you're looking for a longer software company list, those companies that used to write for the Mac but no longer do (or went out of business all together) is a long and distinguished one. ;)

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
;) That's not entirely true. Microsoft (of all companies) is repeatedly on record saying Macintosh software sales of MS Office is one of their most profitable products. Also, remember MS Word was on the Mac years before it came to PC. The profit margins on that 4% are high.
I suspect with only a ~4% of the worldwide OS market (compared to Windows ~86%), Mac commercial software development remains a shaky business proposition at best.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Is that why Adobe see 30%-40% of their profits from Mac software? Once they release Universal Binaries, you will see this number shoot up.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
What you're often seeing are companies that started off writing Mac-only software, but re-hosted to PC to make more money (Adobe comes to mind). The vast majority of the Windows software developers never go near the Mac - it's just not a profitable venture. Or are you describing your latest AOL CD? :D

If you're looking for a longer software company list, those companies that used to write for the Mac but no longer do (or went out of business all together) is a long and distinguished one. ;)
There are over 60,000 developers for Mac OS X. They are all listed on Apple's website. And as you can imagine, there are at least that many applications. You should check it out sometime.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Clearly you're not in the commercial software industry - it's a significant excuse. Profitability with a Windows software package has no bearing on how that software will be accepted on a Mac - even with the traditional Mac software additional markups.
Wait, let me just get this straight. You ARE saying that companies like Adobe and Microsoft markup their software packages for the Mac, right? Tell me, is it because they have to take the extra time to port the app to Mac?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner