How Steve Jobs blew his iPhone keynote c/o Computerworld

It was interesting to look at some of the possible reasons why the iPhone was rush to be announced: "The iPhone resembles, at least superficially, the LG KE850..."

Could Steve have followed the sure and true formula of product announcement for Apple? Was it because of the FCC requirement?
    01-21-2007 11:34 PM
    Although there are definitely some valid points made, without the iPhone announcement, this year's MacWorld would have been a huge letdown instead of the tremendous success that it was. As a result the Apple momentum seems unstoppable. This will continue to boost the confidence of people switching to Apple products, or that of those that already own them and are considering additional upgrades or purchases. I think Jobs did the right thing.
    01-22-2007 12:15 AM
    Let's see. Steve Jobs = gazillionaire. Reporter = not. Steve Jobs = time to announce this iPhone thingee. Reporter = dumb move, Steve.

Verdict: Steve Jobs = prolly has pretty good business sense. Leave him alone.

(Memo to all personnel: I was in the local Apple store this afternoon with my 10-year old daughter and her buddy. They played with one of the Macs. Man. I'm tempted to throw the Dell overboard for the home machine and set up the wife and kidlets on a Mac or two.

Point of this charming anecdote: Mr. Jobs is a smart dude and his company generates nice stuff. Let's let history tell whether the keynote speech was a good move or not. We only have a few months to wait. In the meantime, ignore the hot air).
    01-22-2007 01:13 AM
    ...I was in the local Apple store this afternoon with my 10-year old daughter and her buddy. They played with one of the Macs. Man. I'm tempted to throw the Dell overboard for the home machine and set up the wife and kidlets on a Mac or two...
    That's exactly how I feel Tasty! I especially like the 20" desktop (everything built into the screen). It's a beautiful piece that might be nice to have around spring when Leopard comes out (if I could only spare the cash ). Apple seems to be getting better all the time. Never had a Mac before, but I just hope they don't get too proprietary and overly commercial. I'm starting to wonder about the whole iTunes thing.
    01-22-2007 01:29 AM
    ^actually ended up doing something like that. we have 3 pc's in the family (of which i built two, one is for dedicated gaming) and purchased a 15" MacBook Pro (intel duo) which i think is the nicest piece of computer machinery i have used in all my years. now that Apple is manufacturing Macs with Intel chipsets, moving to a Window's allowable op system, AND using gaming quality video cards, i just might make a full switch at some point this year.

yes, they're that good, stable, and without quirks.
    01-22-2007 07:22 AM
    I didn't read the whole article yet but didn't Steve say in the keynote that they were announcing now in order to get ahead of the information leaking as the device goes through FCC approval? That seems like a totally sound business reason to me and allows Apple to control the information flow. Frankly, I'm surprised more companies don't do that.
    01-22-2007 10:16 AM
    The article IS quite well done. Though the title is stretching it a bit, it serves the intended purpose: get the readers attention.
    01-22-2007 10:47 AM
    1. Early product announcements can cannibalize sales of existing products. This is why Apple tries its best to prevent leaks and release products immediately following announcements. But since Apple doesn't currently sell cell phones, the iPhone announcement will mainly cut into sales of competing phones. There's less risk in early announcements when you don't have any existing products to harm.

The article mentions the possibility of cannibalizing sales of iPods. That'll probably happen to a certain degree, but I think the gain will offset the loss.

2. It's rare to see a criticism of current business decision-making in the press, or on message boards, that I agree with. I'm speaking of claims that certain recent decisions were stupid, as opposed to "I wish they would do this." As Tasty suggested, business managers have earned their positions of responsibility through their own successful experience. They also have access to more information than the press and the public do. We're not privy to the market research, financial analyses, legal advice, or operational constraints that managers have to weigh and deliberate.

Looking back at decisions after we've seen how they fared is more legitimate, but still, I look for evidence that the critic is smarter than the business manager.
    01-22-2007 12:33 PM
    I didn't read the whole article yet but didn't Steve say in the keynote that they were announcing now in order to get ahead of the information leaking as the device goes through FCC approval? That seems like a totally sound business reason to me and allows Apple to control the information flow. Frankly, I'm surprised more companies don't do that.
    correct me if i'm wrong (and I know you will), but you can tell the fcc not to release the info.

Dont most manufacturers do this.

It is my recolection, that new treo models dont show up on the fcc site until a couple of weeks before they are released.
    01-22-2007 02:54 PM
    correct me if i'm wrong (and I know you will), but you can tell the fcc not to release the info.

Dont most manufacturers do this.

It is my recolection, that new treo models dont show up on the fcc site until a couple of weeks before they are released.
    You are probably correct but knowing Apple's penchant for keeping the lid shut on upcoming product information, any announcement or official details prior to Apple's own is probably not acceptable. Apple can deny any rumors in the market but the FCC info would be pretty solid.
    01-22-2007 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD