3rd party apps, 3rd party apps, 3rd party apps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
Again, I think its wishfull thinking for anybody to think there will be a wide array (or even small array) of availalbe apps ready to be downloaded at launch.

How many of the 3rd party apps we all now enjoy were available when the Palm OS was launched? Seriously, I came into these things long after the fact. I'm curious. I'd guess very few if any.

We're talking about a BRAND NEW platform/OS and yes, it will be different because it's Apple and they like to be all over the user experience, and we have a direct quote from the distortion master himself that it's possible, maybe not at launch, but that's part of the cost of early adoption, right ;)

I personally don't care one bit if they're out the day I get my phone, but I think it will be pretty clear at the launch as to whether they will ever be available.

For people to come on this board and make comments like "I'm sure", or "I bet", that there will be plenty of apps made available have really no idea what their talking about.

I almost choked myself with laughter on reading this. You can say the exact same thing about your arguements that there will NOT be plenty of apps made available, you have JUST AS LITTLE idea what you're talking about! At least on the "yes" side we have a quote from the CEO of the company developing the product.

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
What I found absolutely hilarious (and I was LMAO) is that some people think widgets can accomplish what applications on an open platform like WM 5, Palm OS and Symbian can do (Tomtom is the first complex and extremely useful app that comes to my mind). Widget is basically Javascript and HTML.

Something that's occured to me in reading the many conversations here is that I wouldn't assume that Mac OSX "widgets" will be the same deal as iPhone "widgets".

They might, but we may be mixing up some marketing-speak with actual technical terms here. I could easily see them using "widget" to simply replace the word "application" to try and make them seem less intimidating to the main target for these things, the consumer market.

Just a thought.

Maybe I missed something from Apple stating that they really are the same thing, but I don't think I did because there's thousands of widgets for OSX available now, the "no additional application" discussion would be considerably different.

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
Or to put is another way - no one (in the know) is saying there will be any other apps. In other words, this is still a big unknown.

Completely agreed that it's unknown, but how do you take Jobs' quote cited here then?

I guess it's possible that he'd allow for the possibility now for the sake of quelling some of the criticism and then not actually offer anything--ever. But it seems like he'd be setting himself/Apple/the iPhone up for a huge hit if that was the case.

Not impossible, but highly unlikely IMHO given how well he knows how to work the media/marketing/hype.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Most people with new platform court developers, by e.g. releasing a Software Development Kit and guidelines, so when the device gets released the apps are already ready. Jobs actually shunned third party developers, and told them his IPhone is CLOSED (another one of his words). No-one said the IPhone wont have more apps, but everyone says these will just be the apps Steve wants you to have.

For those who want to be spoon fed this is obviously completely acceptable.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
If it's true much of the general public is unaware of 3rd party apps anyway, maybe that's why he may get away with doing this(or at least thinks he will). I think the iPhone is marketed not for serious smartphone users, but the general public. We'll see how it plays out in the end. If he gets enough criticism, he may "fix" the problem.

I just received an unexpected update for my Nano(might have something to do with the hissing others have reported). Plus a notification for security updates to Quick Time. Apple may sometimes have to be outed to respond to complaints(same goes for MSFT though), but they do it, at least some of the time.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I almost choked myself with laughter on reading this. You can say the exact same thing about your arguements that there will NOT be plenty of apps made available, you have JUST AS LITTLE idea what you're talking about! At least on the "yes" side we have a quote from the CEO of the company developing the product.

If you had to stop yourself from getting "choked up with laughter" over my post, then you seriously need to get out more and have some fun.