3rd party apps, 3rd party apps, 3rd party apps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
I bet you , if apple allowed 3rd party apps, some people here will try to find other weakness . iphone is a new concept , different from the herd and people will reward apple for their hard work come june.
Bottom line Treo's are hosed big time , believe it or not, that 's the truth.
And as far as fan boy's are concerned , there are people still using Treo 300 's, some are in this forum who believe it's the best phone for their money...

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
hilarious the both of you are. False! almost a laurel and hardy type of show you put on. False!

this is the apple iphone forum. True! regardless, we're all free to voice our opinion about any device that might be out there. True! you seem to like to twist and turn words and subject matter around so to appear to come out ahead on paper and in your mind. False! i think you are perhaps the most immature of the entire bunch with so very much invested here. False! the funny thing is that your clout is worthless not only with me but so many others. False!

Surur and cglaguna keep the dialogue going. I appreciate your positive critiques. cglaguna = I think I have come around to your perspective. I am going try the iPhone out. I feel there will be much more added to it features set before June.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Yes...
I bet you , if apple allowed 3rd party apps, some people here will try to find other weakness. True! iphone is a new concept , different from the herd and people will reward apple for their hard work come june.
Bottom line Treo's are hosed big time , believe it or not, that 's the truth.
And as far as fan boy's are concerned , there are people still using Treo 300 's, some are in this forum who believe it's the best phone for their money...

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Thank you Specimen38, I am trying to remain level headed about this whole thing. Honestly, as I have said many times, my phone has not been made yet.

While I can appreciate Metorsexuals insights, I have no room for the immature comments that resonate from other younger posters.

I have said many times that iphone left me speechless the first day... While I respect anyone for the reasons why the iPhone is a perfect match for many people, it does not meet my needs, nor come close to features that we already have resident in my Treo.

Believe me if there were a product, like the 750 for example, that had double the resolution, a 2MP camera.. I would be on it whoever made it.

BUT FOR ME, who types without my eyes 70% of the time, me who depends on a clear calendar program, who needs tasks lists, memos, mp3 player, video camera, time/project manager, aim, who uses GPS navigation 2 days a week. It is not for me.

Again, I repeat what I said the day after it was released. Will I buy it? Yes, if I can return it in 30 days. I am not an idiot. Am I blindly going to dump my Treo and buy 2 iphones, without a doubt, NO.

Imagine with all the things the jobs showed us, and the things he purposely avoided, if there were much more, why didn't he present it.

Obviously some posters have never been to a RoadShow or a MacWorld to understand the spin that is put on this stuff.

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
Thank you Specimen38, I am trying to remain level headed about this whole thing. Honestly, as I have said many times, my phone has not been made yet.

While I can appreciate Metorsexuals insights, I have no room for the immature comments that resonate from other younger posters.

I have said many times that iphone left me speechless the first day... While I respect anyone for the reasons why the iPhone is a perfect match for many people, it does not meet my needs, nor come close to features that we already have resident in my Treo.

Believe me if there were a product, like the 750 for example, that had double the resolution, a 2MP camera.. I would be on it whoever made it.

BUT FOR ME, who types without my eyes 70% of the time, me who depends on a clear calendar program, who needs tasks lists, memos, mp3 player, video camera, time/project manager, aim, who uses GPS navigation 2 days a week. It is not for me.

Again, I repeat what I said the day after it was released. Will I buy it? Yes, if I can return it in 30 days. I am not an idiot. Am I blindly going to dump my Treo and buy 2 iphones, without a doubt, NO.

Imagine with all the things the jobs showed us, and the things he purposely avoided, if there were much more, why didn't he present it.

Obviously some posters have never been to a RoadShow or a MacWorld to understand the spin that is put on this stuff.

Cg .
While I appreciate your open mindedness about iphone . The stuff you mentioned you do on Treo 's can be done on iphone except the GPS part .
-Tasks list
-Memo's
Calendar would be much clearer on high res and bigger screen.
MP3 player /videocam(?) , iphone would be better than Treo
AIM and time mangment as well , unless your are using Agendus .
I know you have been using Treo 's for a while and can type without looking at it ,similar can be done with touch screen , the finger pulps will get some rest.

I do not think Jobs said too much ,he showed the things, iphone is supposed to do .I always like , how enthusiastically he introduces his products. I have yet to see other CEO 's that passionate about their products .
Remember this product announcement was different than the others . Most Apple products are available for sale immediately after announcement . For some reason this one has a lag and therefore , by the time consumers get it, there will be some more additions and tweaking , i believe in the form of software.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
lets try and dig up that fantastic cnet video of the Treo/Palm exec selling the then upcoming Treo 680. no spin or salesmanship there. level headed? you're a spin doctor in disguise and you enjoy being such. you like it all ways. you respect others? could never tell by the mocking tone of yours or surer's posts. if the iphone doesn't meet your needs, why spend so much time posting here? i do believe there are other treo-centric forums to amuse you. it's nice to hear that you enjoy the basic features of the 750 but it's a shame that it still cannot suit your needs. hey, it doesn't even suit my needs without the silly 2mp camera (i am fortunate to own real cameras for those instances) as the thing is just stupid big and heavy in the pants. 70% of the time you type without your eyes? again, you are one of a kind, or at least part of a rare breed.

as for the marketing, there is no reason to give it all away if you don't have to. look at what he's done, he's created so much anxiety and excitement that you don't even know how to control yourself. but that's probably due to your own immaturity as you like to call so many others.

roadshows.....yes, all marketing, that's what their intention is. it's a part of any product or investment launch; it's a part of corporate america, not too hard to comprehend.

i don't own an iphone, i don't speak to its technological prowess or misgivings (outside of this virtual keyboard which i still haven't been able to use) but i do think that the Palm Treo is the pre-historic model of which all modern day Fisher-Price toys are modeled after.

:)

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
lets try and dig up that fantastic cnet video of the Treo/Palm exec selling the then upcoming Treo 680. no spin or salesmanship there. level headed? you're a spin doctor in disguise and you enjoy being such. you like it all ways. you respect others? could never tell by the mocking tone of yours or surer's posts. if the iphone doesn't meet your needs, why spend so much time posting here? i do believe there are other treo-centric forums to amuse you. it's nice to hear that you enjoy the basic features of the 750 but it's a shame that it still cannot suit your needs. hey, it doesn't even suit my needs without the silly 2mp camera (i am fortunate to own real cameras for those instances) as the thing is just stupid big and heavy in the pants. 70% of the time you type without your eyes? again, you are one of a kind, or at least part of a rare breed.

as for the marketing, there is no reason to give it all away if you don't have to. look at what he's done, he's created so much anxiety and excitement that you don't even know how to control yourself. but that's probably due to your own immaturity as you like to call so many others.

roadshows.....yes, all marketing, that's what their intention is. it's a part of any product or investment launch; it's a part of corporate america, not too hard to comprehend.

i don't own an iphone, i don't speak to its technological prowess or misgivings (outside of this virtual keyboard which i still haven't been able to use) but i do think that the Palm Treo is the pre-historic model of which all modern day Fisher-Price toys are modeled after.

:)

Dude, that is what I was saying... Roadshow was Palms spin. Roadshow was from Palm and it was a great deal of spin.

Rare breed? not just long time treo user, I am sure you will find lots of them...same with Sidekick users.

Thanks for the low down on you cameras. Having a camera in Treo is great, spent 2 months in Europe last year using Treo. GPS, AIM all in Europe...blogging on chatter, and taking pictures with my Treo. Did I have my Canon 20D with me, of course I did, but blogs aren't for 8 Mp raw pictures dude. Canon 20 D, have a 10D three "L" lenses (the white ones you see the pros use at sporting events) a SD 450 for fun, a new SD600. I have an older A2E Film camera that I use on occasion... u want more

I wasn't planning on using the Treo for the Weddings I shoot, but do you get the picture? or using the video camera for the commercial videos I shoot either...

And as for immaturity... you get me wrong again, I only called one person here immature...although i respect and listen to logical argument with those with opposing opinions like Metrosexual.... I don't think he is immature at all.. I only accused one person of being immature, the same person that many other iphone supporters and non iphone supporters have agreed.

Anyway I will let you go, I am sure it is well past your bedtime...

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
If 3rd party apps will be ready for the June launch, they had better been working on them for awhile now.
Agreed.

Judging from Steves comments, there not.
Please explain. I don't see how you get a conclusion about a timeframe from this:

?These are devices that need to work, and you can?t do that if you load any software on them,? he said. ?That doesn?t mean there?s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn?t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.?

Did you mean some other comments?

Again, I think its wishfull thinking for anybody to think there will be a wide array (or even small array) of availalbe apps ready to be downloaded at launch.

For people to come on this board and make comments like "I'm sure", or "I bet", that there will be plenty of apps made available have really no idea what their talking about.
Just in case it wasn't obvious, my guess (the precise word I used) was based on:

1) Steve Jobs saying 'That doesn?t mean there?s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us', from which I think we can tentatively (but with some conviction) conclude that there will be software from Apple that you can buy and add to an iPhone. I think it's very unlikely he'd have said that if the intention was to never have any additional software.

What we know already is that there are iPhone-specific versions of several apps that ship with OS X (iTunes, Mail, Safari, iCal, etc). If there's to be additional software from Apple I think it's likely that they will continue this trend. I wouldn't regard that as 'wishful thinking', it's simply putting together what Steve Jobs said and what we've seen that they've done already and then making, what seems to me to be, a perfectly reasonable guess.

2) Steve Jobs saying 'It doesn?t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment' which I think implies that there will some form of relationship in which software is at least in part written by companies other than Apple.

What we already know is that there are collaborations with Google and Yahoo and the collaboration with Google has produced an app, Google Maps. So the number of apps on iPhone produced by collaboration with third party will be at least one. Jobs' comments suggest (though don't explicit state) that there will be more of these, hence my guess was that there would be 'at least a few'.

Perhaps all we disagree on is a likely timeframe for additional apps. I'll confess I've seen nothing that says whether we'll see additional Apple-only or collaborative apps before, during or after launch. When I said above that I thought that there could be iPhone versions of a significant number of OS X apps and a few collaborative apps at launch, I had in mind the way Apple seems to like to operate. When announcing the transition to Intel in June 2005, Jobs said to expect the first Intel machines in June 2006 and the transition of all Macs by end 2007. In fact the first machines were Jan 2006 and the whole line was done by August of the same year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Intel_transition

One way of interpreting this is that they deliberately set expectations low so that they could exceed them. I wouldn't surprised that, come June, we find out that they've been playing the same game.

Again, I never said "I'm sure" or "I bet" this is the way it's going to be. I said it was a guess. I hope this post better explains my reasoning, but think about where you're reading these comments. Is speculation not allowed?

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
The stuff you mentioned you do on Treo 's can be done on iphone except the GPS part .
For me personally navigation-quality GPS, like that provided by devices with SiRFstarIII GPS chips and the nav software that goes with them (TomTom, etc), is a very high priority. I think that I'd say TomTom Navigator (or an equivalent) is pretty much the only third-party app I'd regard as a 'must have' on my E61. I'm guessing that this true for others too. My carrier (T-Mobile UK) offers only one third-party app as a paid-for add-on with any of it's smartphones, and that's the nav app CoPilot:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=ctl_phones_catalogue&nmid=phones_catalogue_pmt

Ok, those phones are based on mature platforms and come loaded with a whole lot more first-party software than we've seen thus far for the iPhone. Even so, one way or another (doing it themselves or in collaboration), I hope Apple add sat nav to the iPhone as a major priority. Could be a deal killer for many if they don't.

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
omg look mr simple minded iphone will not run palm os programs you are-tard
in case ur retardness goes futher look at ur treo. any program on ur treo is a palm os program and wont work with a apple os you idiot

im almost positive that you missed the sarcasm in his post.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
More twisted logic - Jobs wants to protect people from 3rd party software, but if 95% of people wont install 3rd party software, so who is he actually protecting then?

Apple fans are so full of excuses.

Surur

Just curious. What do you call an Apple AND MSFT fan, then? LOL! Yes, there is one on this planet. ;)

And neither of them are perfect!

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Err...not to mention progs can be PORTED nowadays..hence Microsoft Office on Windows AND OS X...so there's no reason why in theory a prog made for one OS can't be ported to another

And yep..he was being sarcastic..so who's the retard now? It's a shame when ppl pop out of nowhere into a "conversation" with their input being simple name-calling...makes you look immature - if that was your aim you've succeeded.

mob1lejunkie

Dec 30, 2006
Visit site
What I found absolutely hilarious (and I was LMAO) is that some people think widgets can accomplish what applications on an open platform like WM 5, Palm OS and Symbian can do (Tomtom is the first complex and extremely useful app that comes to my mind). Widget is basically Javascript and HTML.

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
Here's the Jobs quote again:

?We define everything that is on the phone,? he said. ?You don?t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn?t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.?

The iPhone model, he insisted, would not look like the rest of the wireless industry.

?These are devices that need to work, and you can?t do that if you load any software on them,? he said. ?That doesn?t mean there?s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn?t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.?​
http://www.43folders.com/2007/01/12/no-iphone-apps/

Let's face it, we have no idea how this is going to pan out. There could be a massive array of Apple certified and tweaked high quality apps or there could be next to nothing.

FWIW, my guess is that come launch day there will a significant number of Apple apps (mobilised versions of stuff that ships with OS X) and at least a few apps produced in collaboration with third parties (currently the count is one: Google Maps).

THANK YOU! I'm amazed it took so many posts for someone to point this out. It seems to be the most overlooked quote in all of these discussions of the iPhone... from Steve Jobs directly even! Everyone is still saying that we'll never see any other apps. :confused:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox