just saw this:
    LG rival to hit shelves before iPhone
    http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../20/2003345620.
    if the links don't work I googled iPhone, this came up
    01-20-2007 08:34 AM
    One must remember these products have been in development long before the IPhone was announced, and will come to market well before them. They are IPhone rivals, but not IPhone copycats.

Surur
    01-20-2007 08:38 AM
    The Prada phone was announced a few months back. It is unique in its own way. The build-up and the hype (not to mention the timing) leading to the announcement of the iPhone makes it look like everything else is a copy. The reverse could also be true.
    01-20-2007 09:54 AM
    Prada looks to be scheduled to hit the shelves around the same time as OpenMoko. The fact that OpenMoko is truly opensource, and can essentially run any X11 app (in my mind) gives it a leg up on both Prada and iPhone.
    01-22-2007 12:49 AM
    That's a beautiful phone. I'd like to see it and get more specs on it.
    01-22-2007 01:54 PM
    Surely its just another dumb phone without any third party software :evil:

Surur
    01-22-2007 02:54 PM
    Which phone are you talking about?
    01-22-2007 02:56 PM
    they're both ridiculously priced...I'll live in teh past a bit longer
    01-22-2007 04:59 PM
    Prada looks to be scheduled to hit the shelves around the same time as OpenMoko. The fact that OpenMoko is truly opensource, and can essentially run any X11 app (in my mind) gives it a leg up on both Prada and iPhone.
    Open Moko is out .:thumbsdn:
    Small screen size..
    01-22-2007 10:21 PM
    Prada seems worth looking into.
    Very similar .
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01...e_prada_phone/

Those bit$hing about the price of iphone should know , Prada's are priced at 777 bucks . Now that is expensive........!!

Another blow to Treo ...., two in a row ....
    Gash, it is going to be a knockout soon.
    01-22-2007 10:23 PM
    Open Moko is out .:thumbsdn:
    Small screen size..
    The screen is smaller then the iPhone (2.8" vs 3.5"), but it's running 640x480 vga. As for price, the iPhone is looking like $499 for the small one with a 2 year Cingular contract. Openmoko is claiming their phone will ship for $350 - with no contract, and all the 3rd party apps you want to install (or even write and compile yourself)! It also looks like they're employing the same 2 finger touchscreen dragging, sizing etc.

Who knows... They're both vaporware at the moment. But, it's pretty intriguing. At the very least they will both help shake up the industry. And maybe OpenMoko will help convince Apple to allow 3rd party apps.

Dunc
    01-22-2007 10:58 PM
    Surely these devices (PRADA, OpenMoko) do not really compete with the Iphone, due to the lack of mind share and promotional muscle (its not Apple, is it) and will only sell fractions of the IPhone numbers.

Surur
    01-23-2007 02:31 AM
    Even if they were run away successes they won't sell as much as Apple will - they don't have any brand recognition, have no sales or marketing channels in place. Still, they could both easily compete on a functional level. It'll be interesting, to say the least. I'm sure Palm hopes they don't work out, but I can't wait to see all these new devices. These are some exciting times!
    01-24-2007 12:49 PM
    And poof! Like that, it's gone in a vapor. Seriously, I saw it pictured in the post of this thread.
    Which phone are you talking about?
    01-24-2007 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD