The iPhone is not a phone

newtonjack

Oct 17, 2004
hometown.aol.com
So now it's a week later, and I've come full circle to where I was when I first heard the announcement: I think it's not a phone. It's an entertainment-focused mobile computer.

The lack of a keypad makes it harder than a regular phone to dial, and SMS will be awkward to use. That's a substantial barrier in the US, and an even greater drawback for a phone in Europe and Asia. (Hey, mobile phones have failed in Europe just for having the keys poorly arranged.) The battery life also looks like it may be disturbingly short.

http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.com/2007/01/iphone-is-not-phone.html

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
Yeah. I read Mike Mace's piece too and think he's right.

Apple has created a new market segment here with the iPhone. Maybe that's why there's so much hoo-hah about it.

It's the fact that it's new territory so everybody gets to make up an opinion (and because the iPhone is still vaporware they get to make up their facts, too).

And because it is a new market segment there is no common frame of reference to discuss this thing. Some people are approaching the iPhone from the iPod paradigm. Some are approaching it from the Treo paradigm.

When there is a common frame of reference you can make useful comparisons. Treo vs. Blackberry is a common frame of reference. Treo vs. MP3 player is not a useful comparison because there is no common frame of reference.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Might just be the end all to the arguments until it becomes vaporware no more ....good post - I read that before and the more I think about it the more I agree!

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Definitely not a phone. A mobile connected entertainment device, yes. But phone is definitely not the first use for this, maybe second or third.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Definitely not a phone. A mobile connected entertainment device, yes. But phone is definitely not the first use for this, maybe second or third.
A mobile (barely) connected (limited) entertainment (closed form) device...maybe. EDGE and 8GB sure limit it in that regard. Better stick with the "it's a phone" story - it might be able to do that satisfactorily.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
A mobile (barely) connected (limited) entertainment (closed form) device...maybe. EDGE and 8GB sure limit it in that regard. Better stick with the "it's a phone" story - it might be able to do that satisfactorily.

How is it barely mobile? Do you think it'll be too heavy to carry around?

I can't wait to see how "limited" the connection is...with Safari optimized for EDGE, there's a decent chance it'll exceed my Blazer experience.

What's your problem with the "closed form" entertainment?

Lastly, duh..it's a phone. Can you make a PHONE call on it? :rolleyes:

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
there's a decent chance it'll exceed my Blazer experience.

You mean your 3 year out-dated Blazer experience? That doesn't say much, this phone is 600 bucks, it better BLOW THE DOORS OFF your Blazer experience.

Oh yeah--it's a phone :) I can call you, you can call me. IT IS A PHONE, deal with it.

If that motorola palmtop that required a headset to use was a phone, then this is definitely a phone. Anyone remember that phone? It looked just like this:

123950-Gadget13-MOT_pagewriter_a.jpg

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
How is it barely mobile? Do you think it'll be too heavy to carry around?

I can't wait to see how "limited" the connection is...with Safari optimized for EDGE, there's a decent chance it'll exceed my Blazer experience.

What's your problem with the "closed form" entertainment?
Not sure how they speak English in New Jersey, but in the rest of America, the adverbs and adjectives precede the word(s) they modify. The words in parentheses are ones I added to mclark2112's statement (which I also quoted in my post to help the average reader).

Now, armed with the basics in English grammar, go back and re-read the statement. ;)

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
Not sure how they speak English in New Jersey, but in the rest of America, the adverbs and adjectives precede the word(s) they modify. The words in parentheses are ones I added to mclark2112's statement (which I also quoted in my post to help the average reader).

Now, armed with the basics in English grammar, go back and re-read the statement. ;)

This is not an English grammar forum, BTW .
You are not going to score any points by correcting english here.
I don't see any contribution about the original discussion.
Half the people here type on their Treo's , cut him some slack.

If iphone is not a phone, than earth is not round and we are not discussing iphone on treocentral and palm does not sell Treo's and Treo's lack a keyboard ....

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
LOL! Even if one does reread the post, you get the same impression MacUser did. Because what Kupe added in parentheses were his criticisms. Splitting hairs about the grammar issue.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
This is not an English grammar forum, BTW .
You are not going to score any points by correcting english here.
I don't see any contribution about the original discussion.
Half the people here type on their Treo's , cut him some slack.
I wasn't correcting his English/grammar/spelling. I was correcting his reading. Thanks for your free (albeit useless) advice. Now it's your turn to go re-read. :rolleyes:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
maybe it only looks like a phone but actually unfolds itself into a rocket spaceship, just like a transformer!

i will use it as a phone as long as it doesn't bite my ear off.

looking forward to its release

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW