iPhone around the web

littlewaywelt

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
A one hour Keynote in which all that is discussed is a single product? That is either the worst keynote address ever or a marketing spiel that was too subliminal for Apple fans to recognize. Most real consumer product demos don't take that long and cover way more territory - Stevie was too busy snake-oiling the bells and whistles so no one would think about the obvious (and huge) oversights (like 3G and Office document viewing). But you keep shouting about how it was a keynote - if you're loud enough, you'll keep believing it. :cool:

It was a keynote, not product launch. Did you even listen to it? He also spent time on 4Q #s, new iPods and iTV. He hit it perfectly and did his job perfectly. Standing ovation? Stock shooting up 5% before the keynote was even 1/2 over?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
nope.
I currrently have a shuffle and 60gb video. I'll have an iphone and a new ipod as soon as the 6g is out in a large capacity 80gb+

Why? If the IPhone is going to be your main phone, and always on you, are you going to carry two Ipod devices, or using the video Ipod at home or what? Sounds like you will be neglecting at least one gadget, and it will probably the device you buy now.

Of course you may not mind that, but thats hardly typical.

Surur

littlewaywelt

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
Why? If the IPhone is going to be your main phone, and always on you, are you going to carry two Ipod devices, or using the video Ipod at home or what? Sounds like you will be neglecting at least one gadget, and it will probably the device you buy now.

Of course you may not mind that, but thats hardly typical.

Surur
The iPhone & the iPod are different beasts. They fill different roles.

There are places I don't take my treo and places where the iPhone (and Treo) wouldn't do everything I need.

No, I'll use the others for different purposes.
I use the shuffle for running and skiing...or if I'm somewhere where I want music but wouldn't want something I have to be careful with like a fragile iPod or Treo or iPhone (beach, pool, mountains).
I use the iPod as my complete media library and it generally stays in the car.

The iPhone like the Treo would only hold a small amount of music/tv/movie by comparison. I'd carry the iPhone 90% of the time and use the others as needed.

If they made an 80gb iPhone then I'd ditch the iPod. Obviously that's not going to happen for a while.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Again, paying $300 for something you are only planning to use 10% of the time seems expensive and atypical. Of course its likely you don't mind the value for money issue, but I don't expect most Ipod users completely disregard this.

Surur

littlewaywelt

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
Again, paying $300 for something you are only planning to use 10% of the time seems expensive and atypical. Of course its likely you don't mind the value for money issue, but I don't expect most Ipod users completely disregard this.

Surur

I disagree and most of the opinion at iLounge seems to be on that line. Most iPod users (not shuffle or nano) want something that can hold their whole library. They won't downgrade to less memory. Those that plan to get an iPhone view it as a replacement/redundant for a Nano-type, not an iPod.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
That's one reason I prefer the hard drive iPod(or Creative, Archos, Cowon), despite the Nano being more popular. Way more storage! I will probably have about 15GB(when I get around to ripping ALL my favorite sounds) in music and even more GB in videos I'd like to carry around.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Not to drag things out even more, but I've heard most people's music collection are around 4 GB, and I expect Ilounge members are not typical Ipod users. Anyway, its just speculation, and I'm sure we will just have to wait and see.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I already have 2GB of my favorite songs on there and I have so much more, I am too lazy to rip everything! But I seriously suspect about 15GB for everything should be about how it ends up. Maybe I'm exaggerating and it's 8, but I use high kbps. encoding. That also adds to the size. Everything's coming up 8-12MB.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i suppose i would create a playlist (via iTunes) specifically for the iPhone should i decide to keep it. it would not replace my larger iPod but it would suffice more times than not (driving, flying, etc).

regards

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I think its very revelatory. Do you know ring tones earn much more than Itunes per year? Apple is obviously going after the market. Combined with Apple's other statements it suggests you will not be able to use your Itunes music as a ringtone. I'm sure Archie will be able to tell us why this is a good thing.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Or even more likely, the music you have bought from the Itunes wont work as ring tones. You would have to buy them again as ring tones specifically.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Burn DRM music to CD, rip to MP3, import into ringtone editing programs(a list can be found by searching HoFo). :D

Ringtones don't need to be super high quality anyway, unless you're really picky. There's no need to pay for a ringtone, thats a rip off!!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Burn DRM music to CD, rip to MP3, import into ringtone editing programs(a list can be found by searching HoFo). :D

Ringtones don't need to be super high quality anyway, unless you're really picky. There's no need to pay for a ringtone, thats a rip off!!

... and yet the market appears to be worth about $9 billion today. There are way to many teenagers who need to impress their mates RIGHT NOW to do all of the above.

Surur

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site

diva,

i can see apple/cingular preventing users from installing ringtones that arent purchased from them.

after all, they have to protect the integrety of the device/network.

you wouldnt want the network to go down, would you?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I hope you're joking!

Oh yeah, on my UNBRANDED w810i, I loaded my own ringtones and the network didn't go down. Neither Cingular or T-Mobile. And so do many others(read HoFo). Rogers from Canada has the same restriction, but yet people using unbranded phones allowing free ringtone usage didn't disable the network! That's a farce they want you to believe! They want to keep making money off you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit