But we DO know what it WILL do. All of these discussions are based on what it will do, which, in turn, is based on what we saw in the keynote.

Do you understand my point? Sure, but until we get the iPhone in our hands, I still think a lot of what people are saying is speculation. Because we didn't see everything, as you said.

What baffles me is that people here on TreoCentral deny everything that I say. Everything that I say has been fact. If you disagree, I invite you (challenge you) to point out what you think is not fact in any of my posts.
    Do YOU have a test unit or work for Apple? I could accept everything as basically fact if I knew that.

I do not (cannot) respect people's (not you specifically) opinion when it is constantly displayed as fact. I very rarely voice my opinion here at TreoCentral because it would not be inline with others and I would not fare very well. But what I DO post is fact. This is hard for people at TreoCentral to digest because they have put their trust into a company that is going nowhere fast. I have done it too (put my trust into Palm) but I have cut my loses and found other products and services that serve me much better. There's quite few Palm dissenters here, read the whole board carefuly when you have time.

And in the very near future, you might imagine what my new choice of a solution might be, but with that, I must digress.
    You've been a bit heavy handed in some of your posts. I understand that you stand by this product, but you're just dismissing all those who see the possible shortcomings of the iPhone. It will NOT be perfect for everyone, let's face it!

And the same goes for the MSFT fan, whose name I won't mention until he comes back to post. I understand you don't like the product, but you also can't seem to see both sides. The iPhone is a refreshing design and concept change over what we see all the time.
    02-02-2007 04:38 PM
    You've been a bit heavy handed in some of your posts.
    Sorry if I come across that way. My posts started out light hearted and excited. But then to assure that people would understand the truth, my posts may be heavy handed and harsh in dealing with the thick-headedness of those in denial.

I understand that you stand by this product, but you're just dismissing all those who see the possible shortcomings of the iPhone. It will NOT be perfect for everyone, let's face it!

And the same goes for the MSFT fan, whose name I won't mention until he comes back to post. I understand you don't like the product, but you also can't seem to see both sides. The iPhone is a refreshing design and concept change over what we see all the time.
    I disagree with your statement about me not being able to see both sides. This is one of the reasons I feel so justified in being able to post here (that and I have more knowledge about Apple Inc. than ANYONE posting here - and many other locations as well).

I actually enjoy posting here (right now anyway). It's fun. I didn't always enjoy it though as history shows - it seems I am continually beat up and kicked out for being right when others are wrong. Like the memory issue of the 650 a couple years back (first to complain and illustrate the problems but met with disbelief) and the possibility of wi-fi on the 650 (I was the only person that realized it was never going to happen - remember the Shadowmite threads) and also the Palm licensing issue a year or so ago and also many other issues. I was always right but it was never accepted at the time.

Do I get any acknowledgement. No. All I get is berated and banned.

I think I like posting here because I am always right and no one can see it. :evil:
    02-02-2007 05:32 PM
    I think I like posting here because I am always right and no one can see it. :evil:
    For some-one who is always right you are so very often wrong.

Surur
    02-02-2007 06:09 PM
    ^ and that (above) is much of the cause of all of this. i agree; Archie's original/beginning posts were nothing more than being supportive of a new device that was being introduced into the marketplace. after that, some turned it into a war and went to all lengths to diminish, discredit, demean, mock and belittle anything he (and many others including myself) had to say.

i don't blame him/her for fighting back. other's tactics are dirty at best while being very good to disguise their words and posts in a brighter light.

i've never seen such an attempt to discredit a device that doesn't even really exist. i think that some here have gotten so tired of the miserable failures that Palm has handed them that they find some false sense of victory by diminishing what it was that they wish their Palm could have been.
    02-02-2007 07:06 PM
    Well, archie is painfully ignorant of some things. I don't think anyone begrudges his opinion, it's just that he states many things as fact that just aren't so.

Frankly, I think this whole board should be closed; it serves no beneficial purpose that I can see.

Marc
    02-02-2007 08:13 PM
    It's in "OTHER Devices", so what's the problem? If the Zune thread can stay up, why can't this one? And the Zune isn't even a phone!!
    02-02-2007 08:33 PM
    i will agree to a certain extent. i personally believe that he/she (archie) doesn't make anything up but he/she might state what is not fact but just about every opponent of the device has done the same. why do i say?

it doesn't exist in its final form.
    02-02-2007 08:37 PM
    Well, archie is painfully ignorant of some things. I don't think anyone begrudges his opinion, it's just that he states many things as fact that just aren't so.

Frankly, I think this whole board should be closed; it serves no beneficial purpose that I can see.

Marc
    You mean like Push IMAP? please... stop
    02-02-2007 08:52 PM
    Archie, you're catching up to me.....i get 1000 before you do!

be well
    02-02-2007 09:01 PM
    It was a keynote address, not a product briefing!

blah blah blah

A keynote address is defined as an opening statement that outlines the key issues.[/SIZE]
    A one hour Keynote in which all that is discussed is a single product? That is either the worst keynote address ever or a marketing spiel that was too subliminal for Apple fans to recognize. Most real consumer product demos don't take that long and cover way more territory - Stevie was too busy snake-oiling the bells and whistles so no one would think about the obvious (and huge) oversights (like 3G and Office document viewing). But you keep shouting about how it was a keynote - if you're loud enough, you'll keep believing it.
    02-02-2007 09:55 PM
    ^semantics my friend, semantics.

lets give it a rest
    02-02-2007 11:04 PM
    Here is an article that tells us something we intuitively already know about the iphone. Article: Concludes: iPhones <> corporate
    02-06-2007 10:13 AM
    They are being a bit tough on the IPhone, arnt they?

But because of the iPhone's attractive form factor, executives are likely to start buying it when it becomes available in June in the U.S., and tech departments need to head them off at the pass by issuing policies that forbid iPhones from being connected to networks, Enderle said. If executives insist on connecting iPhones, then the IT department has a duty to report the violation since it could mean that Sarbanes-Oxley or other compliance rules have been broken, Enderle said.
    Surur
    02-06-2007 01:44 PM
    They are being a bit tough on the IPhone, arnt they?

Surur
    I'd say so... But I'd also credit the members of this forum for lively debate and analysis. We've had some "tough" discussion about the iPhone and I think found some of us have found balance between what was originally presented at MacWorld Jan07 and what we know today. At least, I know I have.
    02-06-2007 03:22 PM
    Would it be fair to say that anyone who is planning to get an IPhone will not be buying an Ipod for the next 6 months?

Surur
    nope.
    I currrently have a shuffle and 60gb video. I'll have an iphone and a new ipod as soon as the 6g is out in a large capacity 80gb+
    02-06-2007 03:45 PM
    A one hour Keynote in which all that is discussed is a single product? That is either the worst keynote address ever or a marketing spiel that was too subliminal for Apple fans to recognize. Most real consumer product demos don't take that long and cover way more territory - Stevie was too busy snake-oiling the bells and whistles so no one would think about the obvious (and huge) oversights (like 3G and Office document viewing). But you keep shouting about how it was a keynote - if you're loud enough, you'll keep believing it.
    It was a keynote, not product launch. Did you even listen to it? He also spent time on 4Q #s, new iPods and iTV. He hit it perfectly and did his job perfectly. Standing ovation? Stock shooting up 5% before the keynote was even 1/2 over?
    02-06-2007 03:49 PM
    nope.
    I currrently have a shuffle and 60gb video. I'll have an iphone and a new ipod as soon as the 6g is out in a large capacity 80gb+
    Why? If the IPhone is going to be your main phone, and always on you, are you going to carry two Ipod devices, or using the video Ipod at home or what? Sounds like you will be neglecting at least one gadget, and it will probably the device you buy now.

Of course you may not mind that, but thats hardly typical.

Surur
    02-06-2007 03:56 PM
    Why? If the IPhone is going to be your main phone, and always on you, are you going to carry two Ipod devices, or using the video Ipod at home or what? Sounds like you will be neglecting at least one gadget, and it will probably the device you buy now.

Of course you may not mind that, but thats hardly typical.

Surur
    The iPhone & the iPod are different beasts. They fill different roles.

There are places I don't take my treo and places where the iPhone (and Treo) wouldn't do everything I need.

No, I'll use the others for different purposes.
    I use the shuffle for running and skiing...or if I'm somewhere where I want music but wouldn't want something I have to be careful with like a fragile iPod or Treo or iPhone (beach, pool, mountains).
    I use the iPod as my complete media library and it generally stays in the car.

The iPhone like the Treo would only hold a small amount of music/tv/movie by comparison. I'd carry the iPhone 90% of the time and use the others as needed.

If they made an 80gb iPhone then I'd ditch the iPod. Obviously that's not going to happen for a while.
    02-07-2007 09:31 AM
    Again, paying $300 for something you are only planning to use 10% of the time seems expensive and atypical. Of course its likely you don't mind the value for money issue, but I don't expect most Ipod users completely disregard this.

Surur
    02-07-2007 09:59 AM
    Again, paying $300 for something you are only planning to use 10% of the time seems expensive and atypical. Of course its likely you don't mind the value for money issue, but I don't expect most Ipod users completely disregard this.

Surur
    I disagree and most of the opinion at iLounge seems to be on that line. Most iPod users (not shuffle or nano) want something that can hold their whole library. They won't downgrade to less memory. Those that plan to get an iPhone view it as a replacement/redundant for a Nano-type, not an iPod.
    02-07-2007 10:03 AM
    That's one reason I prefer the hard drive iPod(or Creative, Archos, Cowon), despite the Nano being more popular. Way more storage! I will probably have about 15GB(when I get around to ripping ALL my favorite sounds) in music and even more GB in videos I'd like to carry around.
    02-07-2007 02:51 PM
    Not to drag things out even more, but I've heard most people's music collection are around 4 GB, and I expect Ilounge members are not typical Ipod users. Anyway, its just speculation, and I'm sure we will just have to wait and see.

Surur
    02-07-2007 05:08 PM
    I already have 2GB of my favorite songs on there and I have so much more, I am too lazy to rip everything! But I seriously suspect about 15GB for everything should be about how it ends up. Maybe I'm exaggerating and it's 8, but I use high kbps. encoding. That also adds to the size. Everything's coming up 8-12MB.
    02-07-2007 05:14 PM
    i suppose i would create a playlist (via iTunes) specifically for the iPhone should i decide to keep it. it would not replace my larger iPod but it would suffice more times than not (driving, flying, etc).

regards
    02-07-2007 06:41 PM
    That's what I do with flash players. Just load a playlist for the day.
    02-07-2007 06:55 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD