You can't install applications on iPhone?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Now how can Apple possibly develop an SDK if they are still developing there own initial applications (AND changing primary elements of the OS) for the phone? You will notice a great deal of updating occurring for the first few months after the iPhone's release. Why would they develop (try to develop) an SDK if software is changing so much at this stage?

I said it 2 weeks ago and I'll say it again: "Apple is not ready with an SDK yet".

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Now how can Apple possibly develop an SDK if they are still developing there own initial applications (AND changing primary elements of the OS) for the phone? You will notice a great deal of updating occurring for the first few months after the iPhone's release. Why would they develop (try to develop) an SDK if software is changing so much at this stage?

I said it 2 weeks ago and I'll say it again: "Apple is not ready with an SDK yet".

That is total BS. Changing primary elements of the OS right now would mean they are in Alpha, not even beta (feature complete). They aren't going to be in Alpha for the 'first few months' after release. Where do you get your info?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Maybe Archie means since the iPhone is missing apps to make it more business friendly, they'll add them as needed when they look at public reception? Just wondering if that's what he meant.

They need to add IM ASAP!!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
According to Archie it has been added already, viana web app. Im sure you dont mind giving the website your username, password and the content of your IM messaging. I also hope you dont mind the inevitable cross-site scripting hacks that will take place.

The brave new world is going to be so much fun.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
sdk

Having the OS done and having the SDK done are 2 different things.

Actually, the sdk comes before the OS is released (well before).

Apple has one, but has decided against the BREW route and basically is saying Safari is the the only presentation layer for app dev (of course, inless you are Apple internal, in which case you get the rich experience client apps all to yourself.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Think about what you just said. That does not make any sense. Just isn't possible.

Actually, Archie, he's right (and you are wrong of course, but thats given). Usually no-one released an OS without 3rd party software to go with it. The SDK gets released to developers well before the OS goes gold.

Apple of course thinks an OS without 3rd party software is juuust fine....

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
That is total BS. Changing primary elements of the OS right now would mean they are in Alpha, not even beta (feature complete). They aren't going to be in Alpha for the 'first few months' after release. Where do you get your info?

So you think they have APIs to work with that will remain fixed for the next 6 months?

I'm not talking about "application binary interfaces", I'm talking about "application programming interfaces".

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Actually, Archie, he's right (and you are wrong of course, but thats given). Usually no-one released an OS without 3rd party software to go with it. The SDK gets released to developers well before the OS goes gold.

Apple of course thinks an OS without 3rd party software is juuust fine....

Surur
see my post above

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So you think they have APIs to work with that will remain fixed for the next 6 months?

I'm not talking about "application binary interfaces", I'm talking about "application programming interfaces".

Yes Archie, this explains why they released the carbon sdk in 2000, nearly a year before they released OS X. Its impossible, but Jobs can do the impossible, so thats OK.

PS: You should really stay away from industry jargon. Your art background is showing.

Apple Releases Mac OS X Developer Preview 4 with Final API Specs
Preview Comes Bundled with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Supports the Java 2 Platform
WWDC, SAN JOSE, California?May 15, 2000?Apple? today released its fourth developer preview of Mac? OS X to the 4,000 developers attending its annual Worldwide Developer Conference. This preview version of Apple?s next generation operating system includes the final API specifications required by developers to complete upgrades of their applications to take full advantage of Mac OS X?s new capabilities. Mac OS X Developer Preview 4 also includes a version of Microsoft?s Internet Explorer 5 specifically for Mac OS X, and support for the Java 2 Platform.

?With this Preview release, developers now have everything they need to make killer applications for Mac OS X,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. ?We are incredibly pleased at the support we are getting from many of the world?s best software developers for Mac OS X, the future of the Mac platform.?

https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2000/may/15macosx.html#mn_p

Mac OS X ?Gold Master? Released To Manufacturing
World?s Most Advanced Operating System Ready to Ship on March 24
CUPERTINO, CA?March 7, 2001?Apple? today announced that Mac? OS X, the next generation Macintosh? operating system, is complete and the ?gold master? has been released to manufacturing for production. Mac OS X will ship on March 24, 2001, for a suggested retail price of $129 (US). Mac OS X is the world?s most advanced operating system, combining the power and openness of UNIX with the legendary ease of use and broad applications base of Macintosh.
https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/mar/07macosx_gm.html#mn_p

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

Do you even know what an API is or did you read that on Wikipedia?

What you have said previously shows you have no idea about the hardware/software development process and I won't waste my time in a back and forth with you. Don't make stuff up about things that you don't understand. It makes you look bad.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Yes Archie, this explains why they released the carbon sdk in 2000, nearly a year before they released OS X. Its impossible, but Jobs can do the impossible, so thats OK.

PS: You should really stay away from industry jargon. Your art background is showing.

https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2000/may/15macosx.html#mn_p

https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/mar/07macosx_gm.html#mn_p

Surur
Carbon was what OS 9 was based on. They then brought that capability to OS X. Check your history

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Do you even know what an API is or did you read that on Wikipedia?

What you have said previously shows you have no idea about the hardware/software development process and I won't waste my time in a back and forth with you. Don't make stuff up about things that you don't understand. It makes you look bad.

Well, I have Apple Developer status. Do you?

OK, then. Shut it.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Carbon was what OS 9 was based on. They then brought that capability to OS X. Check your history

Not quite.

OK, then. Shut it.

So this is why Jobs is so scared that third party devs will mess up the IPhone. If all Apple devs knew as little as you about computers I would lock up the IPhone too.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Think about what you just said. That does not make any sense. Just isn't possible.
Archie, your credibility (what's left of it) is sinking fast:

ACCESS Releases ACCESS Linux Platform PDK and SDK to Licensees and Developers (2/12/07)

...and as everyone knows, ALP is far from being ready for release yet.

And furthermore, SDK's typically come out months before any device comes out with it, for obvious reasons: 3rd party development.

WM6's SDK was released in March, well ahead of official WM6 device roll-outs.

WM5's SDK was released in 5/2005. The 6700 was released here in the States in October 2005.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

OK, then. Shut it.

I have ADC through my work. But ADC membership doesn't mean you know anything. What apps have you created for the Apple platform?

All I know from my years in the industry is that everyone publishes their SDK to their platforms ASAP to allow developers to code for it so there are apps available for the platform at release. A year early in a lot of cases. This is my first hand experience and I have worked with OS development. Now Apple may not have made this external but internally their own developers need this. I find it extremely unlikely that this is not the case. But guess what, a former colleague of mine is a QA manager on the iPhone group, so I can probably find out soon. Probably not until after release though.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Carbon was an Apple cross-platform language to support legacy apps so developers who had OS 9 apps could easily make them cross-platform during the transition to OS X. It was not what OS 9 was based on. It only allowed you to have the same binary that could be used on OS 9 and OS X.

Archie, again you prove you don't know what you are talking about.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods