This hasn't been mentioned much - probably because most treo userrs are used to it..but from what I saw of the iPhone, apart from playing music it doesn't multitask does it?! Kinda like Palm OS in that aspect..is this an advantage WM5 has and can utilize more to it's advantage on an iPhone clone?
    01-16-2007 09:28 PM
    Yes, it multi-tasks. It has OS X, a unix foundation underneath. In the video on youtube done by Phil Schiller when he switches apps, you can clearly see some of them were already running. Especially near the end of the demo it switches to the browser with a web page already loaded.
    01-16-2007 09:35 PM
    and how do you switch between them?

do you always have to go home to get to get back to the other app?

does it that task bar thingy that macs have?
    01-16-2007 11:11 PM
    I guess it depends on the app. In the demo, I only saw them press the home button to switch to another app directly. But of course if there was an email address it went to email. In the web app, when there was a phone number it sent to the phone app. Seemed pretty easy and straightforward to me. If you mean the dock, no I didn't see it. It would be a waste on such a small screen.
    01-16-2007 11:47 PM
    I guess it depends on the app. In the demo, I only saw them press the home button to switch to another app directly. But of course if there was an email address it went to email. In the web app, when there was a phone number it sent to the phone app. Seemed pretty easy and straightforward to me. If you mean the dock, no I didn't see it. It would be a waste on such a small screen.
    the treo does that.

what if you are in safari and want to look up a contact? you need to go home to get to contacts?
    01-17-2007 11:05 AM
    Multitasking means you can have multiple applications running at the same time -- e.g. listen to music while you are typing a message, or play a game while you are downloading your mail, or acquire a wi-fi connection while you are talking on the phone.
    01-17-2007 12:01 PM
    No it doesn't. It suspends and closes the app. The difference is the app can still be running in the background when the front app is running.

Palm OS supports limited examples of co-operative multi-tasking. If the front app doesn't release CPU cycles the background app doesn't work (like stuttering in Pocket Tunes you get on the 700p). With true multi-tasking (pre-emptive) no app can hog the system even if it crashes.

the treo does that.

what if you are in safari and want to look up a contact? you need to go home to get to contacts?
    01-17-2007 01:03 PM
    Multitasking means you can have multiple applications running at the same time -- e.g. listen to music while you are typing a message, or play a game while you are downloading your mail, or acquire a wi-fi connection while you are talking on the phone.
    so now that you have your 1001 apps running at the same time, how do you switch between them?
    01-17-2007 08:15 PM
    No it doesn't. It suspends and closes the app. The difference is the app can still be running in the background when the front app is running.
    me saying that the treo does that was to your your statement "But of course if there was an email address it went to email. In the web app, when there was a phone number it sent to the phone app." The treo does this, i know this isnt multitasking.

so, you have your programs running, how do you switch between them?
    01-17-2007 08:18 PM
    so now that you have your 1001 apps running at the same time, how do you switch between them?
    Dont worry. Steve wont clutter up the IPhone ecosystem with 1001 apps. You can be lucky if he gives you 10. He would not want to confuse you, would he?

Surur
    01-17-2007 08:58 PM
    10 apps might even be too much if the first three or four worked as intended
    01-17-2007 11:52 PM
    Dont worry. Steve wont clutter up the IPhone ecosystem with 1001 apps. You can be lucky if he gives you 10. He would not want to confuse you, would he?

Surur
    Too bad there is already what? 14.
    1. SMS
    2. Calendar
    3. Photo app
    4. Calculator
    5. Stocks
    6. Maps
    7. Weather
    8. Notes
    9. Clock
    10. Phone
    11. Email
    12. iPod
    13. Safari
    14. Camera

Hmm....
    01-18-2007 12:16 AM
    You forgot the existing games available through the iTunes Store. That's like, what, 9 more?
    01-18-2007 12:39 AM
    Are those going to be playable? How will they use the touch screen?
    01-18-2007 12:54 AM
    Well, since I don't have one, it's hard to say. In the demo, they went to the home screen, then to the app. Is there another way to go directly to an app? I don't think anyone knows yet.

me saying that the treo does that was to your your statement "But of course if there was an email address it went to email. In the web app, when there was a phone number it sent to the phone app." The treo does this, i know this isnt multitasking.

so, you have your programs running, how do you switch between them?
    01-18-2007 01:56 AM
    Too bad there is already what? 14.
    1. SMS
    2. Calendar
    3. Photo app
    4. Calculator
    5. Stocks
    6. Maps
    7. Weather
    8. Notes
    9. Clock
    10. Phone
    11. Email
    12. iPod
    13. Safari
    14. Camera

Hmm....
    I've read there is currently nothing behind many of those icons....

Surur
    01-18-2007 02:17 AM
    I've read there is currently nothing behind many of those icons....

Surur
    Hmm. Maybe because the phone isn't done!? Big shocker there.

Is this supposed to mean something? If anything that furthers the fact that they could add quite a bit more before this thing hits.

Besides, there were only a few not shown at the keynote: Notes, calculator, camera, and calendar.

Pogue used the calendar and commented on it in his blog, so that one currently has something behind the icon.

Notes and calculator. Pretty standard. I doubt they drop these before launch.

Camera, well unless they take the camera out I doubt there will be nothing behind that icon when it goes on sale.

Hmm... Where have you been reading now?

EDIT: Oh yeah there is also the settings, which Pogue also commented on and disclosed a few of the options in there.
    01-18-2007 02:24 AM

Surur
    Surur, after reading a lot of your posts here regarding the iPhone, it's clear to me that you choose to have a negative outlook on Apple and this phone. Obviously, anyone who tries to encourage you to change the way you think about it is wasting his time...

That's your choice. (You're obviously not alone here.)

I'd just like to know WHY you feel as strongly as you do about Apple (specifically Jobs, maybe) and this phone. I'm curious, since it seems to be a trend with you (me being optimistic about the phone is a trend with me, you could say).

Thanks,

/< / /2 /<
    01-18-2007 09:02 AM
    I don't agree with overhyped overvalued devices, especially with so many obvious limitations. Most of what we know are pretty negative, yet everything is spun by the fanboys as positive. You know you Apple fanboys have a destinct reputation on the internet as being incredibly sensitive. Maybe you need to remove that tree from your eye before trying to reach for the splinter in mine.

Surur
    01-18-2007 01:55 PM
    I don't agree with overhyped overvalued devices, especially with so many obvious limitations. Most of what we know are pretty negative, yet everything is spun by the fanboys as positive. You know you Apple fanboys have a destinct reputation on the internet as being incredibly sensitive. Maybe you need to remove that tree from your eye before trying to reach for the splinter in mine.

Surur
    You didn't answer the question. Thanks anyway.

/< / /2 /<
    01-18-2007 02:16 PM

Surur
    You clearly "overvalue" devices that aren't an iPhone, no? What obvious limitations? And how can you infer that they are universal? Same thing with "what we know is negative," assume to know what other people think much?

YOU DO NOT determine what I do and do not like. Sorry buddy. As much as you want to, you can't.

I like Apple products. I will admit it, I like what Apple does. I enjoy their products. Are there negative to the iPhone? Of course, for me that happens to be the lack of 3G.

For you it is obviously everything. That is your opinion though. My point in chatting here is not to convince anyone. Just a discussion. I will however point out the fallacies in your argument. And while you are quick to call someone a fanboy, it would seem that you are the biggest one here.

You feel that you have the rather sad task of making sure people hate this phone. Why? Does it bug you so much that someone will buy it?

I wanted to avoid it, but you really are a sad person. You offer nothing to the discussion. You can say you are critcizing and trying to get people out of the RDF, but your comments are both snide and condescending. It is sad that you think anyone who likes this is an ***** or a "fanboy".

Why don't you stick to your Windows Mobile blog. Seriously. You act as if this phone is the devil incarnate. Grow up.
    01-18-2007 06:45 PM
    i'm still going to buy it/try it no matter what surur, mal or any of those discontents may say. i'm going to find out for myself when the time comes. but for now, let those have their fun. let them hate it and love whatever it is theirs (i really do think Palm is a nothing company, their product design and advancement is almost laughable, many on TreoCentral think so).

this is their life
    01-18-2007 07:36 PM
    I'm not the one trying to convince people the IPhone is the second coming of Jesus.

Surur
    01-18-2007 07:42 PM
    I'm not the one trying to convince people the IPhone is the second coming of Jesus.

Surur
    I don't think anyone else here is either. You are the one trying to convince just the opposite.
    01-18-2007 08:02 PM

Surur
    Umm...in case you haven't heard, Jesus is dead, and there ain't no coming back from the dead. So i guess all we have to look forward to is the iPhone! Maybe you need a nice hobby, something other than posting mindless negative postings in a forum you know nothing about.
    01-24-2007 01:45 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD