iPhone & Multi-tasking?!

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
This hasn't been mentioned much - probably because most treo userrs are used to it..but from what I saw of the iPhone, apart from playing music it doesn't multitask does it?! Kinda like Palm OS in that aspect..is this an advantage WM5 has and can utilize more to it's advantage on an iPhone clone?

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Yes, it multi-tasks. It has OS X, a unix foundation underneath. In the video on youtube done by Phil Schiller when he switches apps, you can clearly see some of them were already running. Especially near the end of the demo it switches to the browser with a web page already loaded.

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
and how do you switch between them?

do you always have to go home to get to get back to the other app?

does it that task bar thingy that macs have?

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
I guess it depends on the app. In the demo, I only saw them press the home button to switch to another app directly. But of course if there was an email address it went to email. In the web app, when there was a phone number it sent to the phone app. Seemed pretty easy and straightforward to me. If you mean the dock, no I didn't see it. It would be a waste on such a small screen.

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
I guess it depends on the app. In the demo, I only saw them press the home button to switch to another app directly. But of course if there was an email address it went to email. In the web app, when there was a phone number it sent to the phone app. Seemed pretty easy and straightforward to me. If you mean the dock, no I didn't see it. It would be a waste on such a small screen.

the treo does that.

what if you are in safari and want to look up a contact? you need to go home to get to contacts?

Iceman6

Jun 5, 2003
Visit site
Multitasking means you can have multiple applications running at the same time -- e.g. listen to music while you are typing a message, or play a game while you are downloading your mail, or acquire a wi-fi connection while you are talking on the phone.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
No it doesn't. It suspends and closes the app. The difference is the app can still be running in the background when the front app is running.

Palm OS supports limited examples of co-operative multi-tasking. If the front app doesn't release CPU cycles the background app doesn't work (like stuttering in Pocket Tunes you get on the 700p). With true multi-tasking (pre-emptive) no app can hog the system even if it crashes.

the treo does that.

what if you are in safari and want to look up a contact? you need to go home to get to contacts?

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
Multitasking means you can have multiple applications running at the same time -- e.g. listen to music while you are typing a message, or play a game while you are downloading your mail, or acquire a wi-fi connection while you are talking on the phone.

so now that you have your 1001 apps running at the same time, how do you switch between them?

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
No it doesn't. It suspends and closes the app. The difference is the app can still be running in the background when the front app is running.

me saying that the treo does that was to your your statement "But of course if there was an email address it went to email. In the web app, when there was a phone number it sent to the phone app." The treo does this, i know this isnt multitasking.

so, you have your programs running, how do you switch between them?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
so now that you have your 1001 apps running at the same time, how do you switch between them?

Dont worry. Steve wont clutter up the IPhone ecosystem with 1001 apps. You can be lucky if he gives you 10. He would not want to confuse you, would he?

Surur

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
Dont worry. Steve wont clutter up the IPhone ecosystem with 1001 apps. You can be lucky if he gives you 10. He would not want to confuse you, would he?

Surur

Too bad there is already what? 14.
1. SMS
2. Calendar
3. Photo app
4. Calculator
5. Stocks
6. Maps
7. Weather
8. Notes
9. Clock
10. Phone
11. Email
12. iPod
13. Safari
14. Camera

Hmm....

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Well, since I don't have one, it's hard to say. In the demo, they went to the home screen, then to the app. Is there another way to go directly to an app? I don't think anyone knows yet.

me saying that the treo does that was to your your statement "But of course if there was an email address it went to email. In the web app, when there was a phone number it sent to the phone app." The treo does this, i know this isnt multitasking.

so, you have your programs running, how do you switch between them?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Too bad there is already what? 14.
1. SMS
2. Calendar
3. Photo app
4. Calculator
5. Stocks
6. Maps
7. Weather
8. Notes
9. Clock
10. Phone
11. Email
12. iPod
13. Safari
14. Camera

Hmm....

I've read there is currently nothing behind many of those icons....

Surur

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
I've read there is currently nothing behind many of those icons....

Surur

Hmm. Maybe because the phone isn't done!? Big shocker there.

Is this supposed to mean something? If anything that furthers the fact that they could add quite a bit more before this thing hits.

Besides, there were only a few not shown at the keynote: Notes, calculator, camera, and calendar.

Pogue used the calendar and commented on it in his blog, so that one currently has something behind the icon.

Notes and calculator. Pretty standard. I doubt they drop these before launch.

Camera, well unless they take the camera out I doubt there will be nothing behind that icon when it goes on sale.

Hmm... Where have you been reading now?

EDIT: Oh yeah there is also the settings, which Pogue also commented on and disclosed a few of the options in there.

KMeloney

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site

Surur

Surur, after reading a lot of your posts here regarding the iPhone, it's clear to me that you choose to have a negative outlook on Apple and this phone. Obviously, anyone who tries to encourage you to change the way you think about it is wasting his time...

That's your choice. (You're obviously not alone here.)

I'd just like to know WHY you feel as strongly as you do about Apple (specifically Jobs, maybe) and this phone. I'm curious, since it seems to be a trend with you (me being optimistic about the phone is a trend with me, you could say).

Thanks,

/< / /2 /<

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't agree with overhyped overvalued devices, especially with so many obvious limitations. Most of what we know are pretty negative, yet everything is spun by the fanboys as positive. You know you Apple fanboys have a destinct reputation on the internet as being incredibly sensitive. Maybe you need to remove that tree from your eye before trying to reach for the splinter in mine.

Surur

KMeloney

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
I don't agree with overhyped overvalued devices, especially with so many obvious limitations. Most of what we know are pretty negative, yet everything is spun by the fanboys as positive. You know you Apple fanboys have a destinct reputation on the internet as being incredibly sensitive. Maybe you need to remove that tree from your eye before trying to reach for the splinter in mine.

Surur

You didn't answer the question. Thanks anyway. :rolleyes:

/< / /2 /<

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73