Apple iPhone Will Fail in a Late, Defensive Move: Matthew Lynn

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I got a feeling you wont be seeing this for a while.

It will cut into iPhone sales.
Apple would still get their money, no matter what. Plus many were waiting for that and they don't necessarily need a phone, just the iPod.

no it isnt. Palm the Hardware manufacture didnt but the rights to it, to not use it.

It might be the OS for low cost smart phones, if they cant get it to work with wi-fi or 3g, but they will use it for something. Low cost smartphones with Palm OS. That's indeed what happened. While WM is on the most expensive Treo now. :( Shows where their mind is at. :(

it is pretier, but we dont know how it works. the only ppl who used it so far are JOB and Pogue, and pouge had issues (not that he isnt buying one when it comes out). It's OS X. Enough said. Although I do need to read that thread that claims it isn't OS X.

My thoughts above in red.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site

I gurantee we will see one inside of 6 weeks.

it is pretier, but we dont know how it works. the only ppl who used it so far are JOB and Pogue, and pouge had issues (not that he isnt buying one when it comes out).
They let probably about 15-20 different reporters (maybe more) demo this phone.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Are you an Apple insider to know that for sure? Because I'm also looking at that limited edition iPod. If a new video iPod is coming, I may hold off.

Of course, I could get both. :D

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I have never seen in all my years people get as defensive as they do if anybody says anything negative about this phone. .

c'mon my friend....have you spent any time in any of the other Treo forums ESPECIALLY before and immediately after release?

it sounds and reads all the same, almost exactly the same.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I meant a stand-alone video iPod, like the ones they sell now.

People were clammering for the "true" video iPod, they all may not want it attached to a phone.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I meant a stand-alone video iPod, like the ones they sell now.

People were clammering for the "true" video iPod, they all may not want it attached to a phone.

so you mean one that does not play music but only video on a larger screen? how much do handheld video players cost these days, that are that size? i haven't looked (outside of the kid's psp's, etc) so i don't know, i figure you might have given your want for one, that is why i ask.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
No, both. What people were wanting was the upgrade to the current video iPod. Technically the current one is a music player that also plays video. They are waiting for the true video iPod, video being a priority. As of now. it's actually secondary. All video players still play music, but the main focus is video.

Expect to pay $400 and up as of now, for video players. Creative, Cowon and Archos all have nice ones.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
so....

:shake: "simply" -- not at all... Some iPhone opposing posters have been courteous and positive. On the hand there are some have been extremely negative and exercising a lot of energy spuing hatred toward a vapor product (iPhone). That's not simple by any stretch of the imagination.

"unbridled" -- That's a interesting word and perception....:rolleyes: Not at all... we're having fun talking about a new phone. There are a lot of people frustrated with their Treos.

"a reaction" -- I disagree. Their reactions are as I think are predispositions. Reminds me of the "pro-life" people attacking the pro-choice people. :hmm:

Not a single one of us knows, yet. ;) So let's have some fun talking about it without trying to tell people how to think or how much enthusiams they should have!

To answer specimen's question, though, I think any negativity you see is simply a reaction to the unbridled adoration of the Applephiles, and the mass media, all of whom swallowed Steve Job's pronouncements as if they came from Jesus / Mohammed / Budda / Brahma (pick the deity / prophet of your choice*) himself. Maybe this will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe not. Not a single one of us knows, yet.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
thanks Lady....how much difference would be had with a "true video ipod" as you call it? is it screen resolution, user controls, and memory? i'm trying to understand why the current "music first, video second" configuration is lacking versus some newer iteration.

thanks!

KRamsauer

Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
thanks Lady....how much difference would be had with a "true video ipod" as you call it? is it screen resolution, user controls, and memory? i'm trying to understand why the current "music first, video second" configuration is lacking versus some newer iteration.

thanks!

I think it's screen size. What people are looking for is an iPhone without the wireless circuitry and a hard drive storage system (to store oodles of movies).

ronbo2000

Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
Apple would still get their money, no matter what. Plus many were waiting for that and they don't necessarily need a phone, just the iPod.

My thoughts above in red.
Apple have knows their target demographics and have managed to keep that market intact despite the new devices from different sources.

By adding a stable device with phone and internet functionality to your current product line, (forget about super users), consumers know the brand and will stay with the brand.

Once the market knows this product is stable, it will not matter if one cannot add third party software as long as device works when they need it. Key measure is market acceptance.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Apple have knows their target demographics and have managed to keep that market intact despite the new devices from different sources.

By adding a stable device with phone and internet functionality to your current product line, (forget about super users), consumers know the brand and will stay with the brand.

Once the market knows this product is stable, it will not matter if one cannot add third party software as long as device works when they need it. Key measure is market acceptance.

True..and this is what they expect, but I feel it won't go as well as planned simply because they've made the introductory price and contract exclusive. This alone may hinder a lot of average joe consumers who in the past couldn't afford smartphones (which have been around for years so they had opportunity to get one of those "cool gadgets" before) in that price range...remains to be seen if 500-600 will slide with the same ppl who now buy iPods for $300 tops....

meyerweb#CB

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Well, you and I have a very different view of things. I would say "unbridled" is a modest description of the reaction most Apple fans have had toward this phone. And that the same group treats even modest criticism of the device, as described by Jobs, as "extremely negative" and "suping hatred." The attitude by the faithful to any criticism of the iPHone seems a lot like the pro-lifers (to borrow your analagy) reactions to any suggestion that the pro-choice position has some validity.

:shake: "simply" -- not at all... Some iPhone opposing posters have been courteous and positive. On the hand there are some have been extremely negative and exercising a lot of energy spuing hatred toward a vapor product (iPhone). That's not simple by any stretch of the imagination.

"unbridled" -- That's a interesting word and perception....:rolleyes: Not at all... we're having fun talking about a new phone. There are a lot of people frustrated with their Treos.

"a reaction" -- I disagree. Their reactions are as I think are predispositions. Reminds me of the "pro-life" people attacking the pro-choice people. :hmm:

Not a single one of us knows, yet. ;) So let's have some fun talking about it without trying to tell people how to think or how much enthusiams they should have!

This last suggestion I agree with. But shouldn't it include the "pro-iPHone" crowd to, who seem to be telling the rest of us how to think?

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
:)
Well, you and I have a very different view of things. Curious....Is there a certain way I should view things? Tell me how I should be thinking since I have a very different view of things. Is your way of thinking reflective of the majority? I would say "unbridled" is a modest description of the reaction most Apple fans (With what are you measuring and concluding that "unbridled" is a modest description of the reaction most Apple fans? Are they all Apple Fans or are some just PC+Treo users who want something different? I would like understand how you drawn conclusions because it will help me understand you commentary in this blog.) have had toward this phone. And that the same group treats even modest criticism of the device, as described by Jobs, as "extremely negative" and "suping hatred." The attitude by the faithful to any criticism of the iPHone seems a lot like the pro-lifers (to borrow your analagy) reactions to any suggestion that the pro-choice position has some validity.

This last suggestion I agree with. But shouldn't it include the "pro-iPHone" crowd to, who seem to be telling the rest of us how to think? Absolutely!
:)

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Felipe said:

I gurantee we will see one inside of 6 weeks.

They let probably about 15-20 different reporters (maybe more) demo this phone.
After unforeseen delays, I believe this to be released now quite soon, possibly tomorrow. Some sort of new audio product anyway.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox