Top Five Reasons Why the iPhone Sucks

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
SVBP1C.jpg

I think it's funny that it's advertised that the iphone has a longer battery life than Treo. Well when my battery goes out on my treo, I change batteries.... you guys never had a 180, 300 or 600 where when your battery was low, you were tethered to your car or an ac adapter talking on the phone...

I just don't get it how people ar going to watch video, listen to music and use the phone for normal: calendar, sms, email functions and not run into an issue.

I guess you could carry the new iphone back up battery pack shown above. :(

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Or they could have just added a mm to the thickness and stayed with the same capacity battery. To be fair though, Apple probably no a whole lot more about their target market than I do.

At this rate, it looks like they expect all iPod owners who never complain about no removable battery and willingly send in their iPods to Apple OR buy a new one after 18 months to be their main target group. But what goes for iPods will not go for phones.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Can someone PLEASE tell me why a phone needs more than 2mp? Seriously, that is the definition of hype. Putting a high res image sensor behind a crappy (or even just average) plastic lens only a few mm wide is nearly equivalent in logic to putting a screen door on a submarine.

And I am one of those apparently few people who love having a camera on my phone...

oh, and yes, I'll be one of those buying this most unappealing, dumb, closed system, fragile, slow data downloading, no expansion slot having, facial grease collecting, inadequate battery powered, no keyboard having Treo smokers.

:bow: iPhone

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
The point is that more than 2mp is only an improvement on paper. Even a 2mp points out the limitations of the lens used. Unless SE is selling their camera/phones with Zeiss or comparable glass lenses, then it's really only marketing hype. Just because you CAN put a 5mp imager in a phone doesn't mean you SHOULD. You can put a big block motor in a station wagon, but what good is it?

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
The point is that more than 2mp is only an improvement on paper. Even a 2mp points out the limitations of the lens used. Unless SE is selling their camera/phones with Zeiss or comparable glass lenses, then it's really only marketing hype. Just because you CAN put a 5mp imager in a phone doesn't mean you SHOULD. You can put a big block motor in a station wagon, but what good is it?

Well, I agree about the 5MP part, but I would really like to see 3-4MP camreas in my phones. I just want a decent enough resolution where if I wanted to print a 4x6 photo I could. 2MP doesn't look good at all, 3MP is more than acceptable. I understand it still won't look as good as a Canon DSC, but at least the option would be there.

CGK#IM

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
yes you can install 3rd party apps on the symbian devices - shame there are virtually none worth writing home about... (said the very happy e61 user)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site

As per my statement above (regarding Zeiss optics specifically), that makes a lot more sense with a high res image sensor. You are still VERY limited with the aperture, ISO speed equivalent, software settings, etc - but at least the glass (the MOST important element aside from the photographer) is there on those specific devices.

I would submit, though, that siting a 2mp camera on a "phone" as a reason to hate it is ridiculous in it's lack of logic. Being disappointed in the apparent lack of 3G support? Now that is the only realistic complaint I can come up with for a device that isn't available to the public yet. I'm saving my opinions on this device for a time when I get to use it for myself and can give an intelligent, qualified opinion.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The point is not that 2 Megapixel is poor, but that there are other, more advanced devices out there, which an advanced user would get much more value out of. The only thing Apple has done which is unique is the touch screen UI, but just because its unique does not mean its great either. In the end this is just another phone, and does not deserve the hype.

In fact, the more I think of this phone, the more it reminds of of a tool for less capable people, like the phones we have for children and the elderly, with only a few buttons, large screens and large fonts, and very few options.

lg_kids_phone.jpg

pf.jpg

Surur

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
The point is not that 2 Megapixel is poor, but that there are other, more advanced devices out there, which an advanced user would get much more value out of. The only thing Apple has done which is unique is the touch screen UI, but just because its unique does not mean its great either. In the end this is just another phone, and does not deserve the hype.

In fact, the more I think of this phone, the more it reminds of of a tool for less capable people, like the phones we have for children and the elderly, with only a few buttons, large screens and large fonts, and very few options.

lg_kids_phone.jpg

pf.jpg

Surur

I'm starting to get the impression you dislike this device! :p
And you know what? That's ok. I'm sure you won't buy one, and you'll probably be just fine with that decision. I won't make fun of you if decide to remain a luddite ;)

It's really funny to see all these concrete opinions being voiced by a group of people who have never actually seen this device in person. The UI appeals to me (from what I've seen) - at least enough that I am anxious to give it a try when it's released. The lack of 3G is the only thing I've seen to date that I consider a serious drawback. Compromise is not dead, though, is it? After all, how many people are still buying new Treo models that don't have WiFi?

Remember, all of what is being said on this particular iPhone forum is (nearly) purely conjecture and speculation at this point - at least insofar as actually USING the iPhone. I've seen a few of these threads devolve into name calling - now THAT is ridiculous in every sense of the word!

littlewaywelt

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
I think it does deserve the hype. Is it perfect? No. Maybe not even close for many of you, but what you fail to realize in the perfection of this product lies in that it will bring smartphones into the hands of people that would never be able to use a treo. Now they'll be able to use mobile email, web and media in way that's incredibly intuitive, all via a simple touchscreen ui. This is a truly genius product.

Can your treo do more? Probably, but Apple doesn't care about the 1% power user that wants to use a slingbox, exchange corp email, have live weather radar, add on lots of power user custom programs, etc. Most people don't need a device that can hold something like weather panel, when all most people care about is, will it be warm or cold and do I need to pack an umbrella.

The iPhone is the iPod on super steroids. Are there better mp3 players with longer batteries, more powerful screens, etc? Sure, but apple knows how to make a product incredibly easy to use that's elegant, fun, functional and powerful enough for everyone other than the power user.

Apple knows you don't need > a 2mega pix camera in a phone. To make this thing take good picutres would be impossible if you want to retain the size, weight and cost.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Remember, all of what is being said on this particular iPhone forum is (nearly) purely conjecture and speculation at this point

I though we knew rather a lot about the IPhone. People seem to ignore what we know and minimize the efforts, saying Apple will do something magical to turn there into actual advantages e.g.

No voice dialing and no hard keys definitely means a problem in the car. Why is this not a problem?

No UMTS with a UMTS device promised soon afterward - why buy version 1 then? Yet many (including you) say you will.

Very poor one-handed usage - no problem?

It seems like people are very very eager to hand Jobs their money, just to play with the touch screen and flick things around. I'm sure the Nintendo DS will be a much more satisfying purchase, and it has a whole lot more games too.

Surur

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
I though we knew rather a lot about the IPhone. People seem to ignore what we know and minimize the efforts, saying Apple will do something magical to turn there into actual advantages e.g.

No voice dialing and no hard keys definitely means a problem in the car. Why is this not a problem?

No UMTS with a UMTS device promised soon afterward - why buy version 1 then? Yet many (including you) say you will.

Very poor one-handed usage - no problem?

It seems like people are very very eager to hand Jobs their money, just to play with the touch screen and flick things around. I'm sure the Nintendo DS will be a much more satisfying purchase, and it has a whole lot more games too.

Surur

Well, actually I said I would BUY it - not that I would KEEP it. Cingular has a 30 day deal, so if I don't like the iPhone, I can return it. Big detail there. If I like it, I'll keep it - I have to BUY it first, though.

We are ASSuming at this point that the iPhone will not have some sort of voice dialing feature. That's purely software driven. The device has a microphone (we can SAFELY assume that), so it IS possible that it could have that feature - even likely considering how ubiquitous voice dialing has become.

I'm not really ASSuming anything else about the iPhone at this juncture.

Seems simple enough to me - if you don't like this device, stop expending so much of your time and energy trying to convince those who do like it why they shouldn't. It's really sort of asinine. Don't buy one of these if you think it's so inferior.

If that doesn't seem logical then perhaps you are just engaging in some :stick:
and that's ok, too, if that's what floats your boat.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
At this rate, it looks like they expect all iPod owners who never complain about no removable battery and willingly send in their iPods to Apple OR buy a new one after 18 months to be their main target group. But what goes for iPods will not go for phones.
I can see the value of having an extra battery and also being able replace a defective one yourself. Having said that, I've never bought a spare battery for a cell phone and my Treo 600 (currently with my son) is well over three years old and the battery (which can't be replaced by the user) is still just fine.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Not to spoil a perfectly good rant, but do you really think that this LG has a large screen? :)

lg_kids_phone.jpg

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site

You do realize you can walk into an Apple store, apple certified repair shop, and probably even a cingular store and get it replaced.

You dont have to send it off anywhere. And since they have a replacement program for the iPod. I can only imagine they will have a system for the iPhone that is slighty different.

For me, it isn't an issue. I dont carry extra batteries around. If it dies. It dies. I understand some people live on their phone and maybe contact business. Right now I don't. So I can't sympathize. But, I almost have never run my battery out completely. It lasts all day. Then I charge it if need be.

I also don't talk on my phone for 5 hours straight.

Even when the battery start to lose its charge. It typically isn't an instant thing where it just doesnt work anymore. So you wouldn't be SOL. You would have to be more conservative until you can take it in and have it replaced.

Its really not hard. And I dont see it as an inconvienence. But that is me of course. But I think this issue is horribly overblown. Especially with the "You have to send it in" comments. You dont have to mail it to Apple. You simply don't. That is of course the only way you guys can convince someone it sucks, excluding the facts that is.

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site

[snip pictures]
Surur

First, on the 2MP camera. Megapixels don't make the camera better. More resolution with crappy optics still makes crappy pics. I don't know the optics on the iPhone. But this is more of a general thing.

Also, I don't use my phone as a camera. I have a nice Sony (with a touchscreen :)) to do that. For the rare snapshot I will use the phone. But my phone does not equal digi cam.

Moving on. There is surely more than the UI. Whether it is great or not is an opinion. The tech is fantastic however and it could be implemented in many devices including the rumored widescreen iPod.

Also the look of the OS is far ahead of what we have seen. Call it nonsense, or say it doesnt matter it could look like piss as long as it did what you wanted it to. I would move on the side of things that look pleasing and clean make you more productive. If you want to disagree, why is MS doing Photon which you say will look like the iPhone does now? Why not leave it looking like it does? Because more functionality comes with that.

Why do you hate this device? I have no clue. It is rather sad though, that you can't see the value you here.

I love technology. I am sure when Photon hits and new features show up in those phones I will be like "oh yeah!" Maybe you should try and get back to those roots man. Just because a company comes out and makes easy to use products that don't have all the power features that YOU want doesn't mean it is crap.

Much like the OS X criticism on the Mac. "Its for people who don't know anything" is what people say. I say nay. I know more about computers than the average guy(much more) and I use a Mac. Why? Because it increases my productivity 100 fold. Expose(this is big), dashboard, the performance, it is built on *nix so the extensibility is limitless, apple script, automator, system-wide spellcheck. Spaces and Time machine coming with Leopard.

All those things and more make me more productive, heaps more than XP, and maybe Vista (havent played with it yet) can. This idea that consumer driven products are crap is just that, crap.

And the prouct looks good. If you want ugly brick products have fun. I like my things to look nice. The progression of devices should align with that idea. People want nice looking things. Cars, phones, computers, shoes, shirts, whatever. Obviously that varies from person to person. You may like what I call ugly brick phones. That is fine. But don't discredit great design because you feel it is uneccessary.

The iPod. Why do people hate it? It doesnt support all the codecs, DRM blah blah blah. Consumers don't care. People don't care it doesn't play DiVx or Xvid. They buy it on the iTunes store. THat is the model that works. An end to end solution that works. Not, "heres the player figure it out" why do you think Microsoft jumped on that bandwagon instead of doing what Creative and the others do? That model doesn't work.

Will i buy an iPhone? Yes. Will I feel like a little kid that has a phone with big buttons and its so easy to use? No. I know the quality that went into this product. I could feel the excitement and passion in Steves voice when he announced this thing. You can say "he just wants to sell, blah blah blah," I disagree though. I am sure he loves tech like I do, and just Bill Gates does. That is what it is about.

I think the iPhone is an amazing device. I think its potential will be amazing. Is it perfect? Of course not. There is always something it won't have. 3G for example, for now at least. I support Apple because I enjoy the products they make. Sure it is easy for those who want to use it and go. But for the rest, the power is there. I hope Apple lets a good number of apps on this device. But honestly, for me. It has what I need. I don't have to install a bunch of junk on it to get it to work better or do what I want like my Treo. (Assuming the iPhone works as stated, which I imagine it will)

Sorry for the long post. I am just sick of this "it sucks" attitude. Get over your anti-Apple attitude and look at the device and enjoy it. it isn't for you. So what. It still has high points which as a rational person and someone who seemingly loves tech can admit.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal