Top Five Reasons Why the iPhone Sucks

newtonjack

Oct 17, 2004
hometown.aol.com
Top Five Reasons Why the iPhone Sucks
With all the adoring praise being heaped on Apple's iPhone, it's about time someone starting noticing its flaws. Newlaunches has its list of gripes here; ours is forthcoming. Top five shortcomings of the iPhone according to Newlaunches:

1. 2-megapixel camera when others have 5-megapixel shooters on board

2. 5-hour talk time: not enough battery life

3. No expansion slot. Go for the 8-gig model and that's it.

4. No 3G: EDGE is so last year

5. No removable battery: You mean we can't take along a spare battery? WTF?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/top-five-reasons-why-the-iphone-sucks-228100.php

CGK#IM

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
With all the adoring praise being heaped on Apple's iPhone, it's about time someone starting noticing its flaws.

thank god you are here to put us straight - not a single thread here doing that... (you'll have to go some way to beat the guy who did a usability study based on a couple of jpegs and a n emulator knocked up in one day running on a treo...)

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
My thoughts.

1. Which phone has 5 mpx camera besides the new SEs coming out? I'd like to know. *drooling*

2. Looking at the display, that really should be expected to some degree. I've noticed everytime the LCD is on on any device, battery life gets sucked. Is there any real way to correct that problem, besides toning down the display?

3. That's actually not a huge concern for me, but I see how it could be for others, especially at that price.

4. I agree, it's 2007!

5. I agree, that's the one super dumb thing about the iPhone.

6. You forgot: very expensive on a very expensive carrier with a very expensive contract. That still bothers me more than anything else.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
1. Which phone has 5 mpx camera besides the new SEs coming out? I'd like to know. *drooling*

LG, Nokia, Samsung, Pantech etc.

For the price and comparative lack of other features 2 megapixel is just an after thought.

Look at the Nokia N95 - 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens with DVD quality video recording, GPS, TV Out, HSDPA, WIFI, 3.5 mm audio jack, mini-USB, music keys, 3D accelerated graphics, 16 million colour QVGA screen, 3D stereo sound, FM Radio, A2DP, dual slider.

And guess what, being Symbian you can actually install your own apps on it also. And still answer phone calls. Not to mention not bring down the west coast.

nokia_n95.jpg

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029453,49283920,00.htm

Surur

z3bum

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Keep in mind, the iphone is six months away. By then, these little issues will have become big ones. Not having an expansion slot or 3G networking just doesn't make sense. I am sure Apple will have made an effort to resolve these issues by the time the phone arrives. It will probably have a new name as well, since Cisco filed a suit as they have an iPhone product already.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
N95 will when released:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/4328_Nokia_N95-HSDPA_WiFi_5MP_Camer.php

2. Looking at the display, that really should be expected to some degree. I've noticed everytime the LCD is on on any device, battery life gets sucked. Is there any real way to correct that problem, besides toning down the display?
5 hours claimed talk time is more than Palm claim for the Treo 750 (4 hours). 5 hours would be fine for most people but without real world testing we can't verify it or judge how hard other functions hit the battery.

3. That's actually not a huge concern for me, but I see how it could be for others, especially at that price.
8 GB is massively better than most phones.

4. I agree, it's 2007!
Me too.

5. I agree, that's the one super dumb thing about the iPhone.
Removable battery is nice but so is a thin phone. Classic case of not being able to please everybody.

6. You forgot: very expensive on a very expensive carrier with a very expensive contract. That still bothers me more than anything else.
I wonder which carrier(s) will get it in the UK? Hopefully not Vodafone - their data charges make Cingular look like bargain of the year.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Look at the Nokia N95 - 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens with DVD quality video recording, GPS, TV Out, HSDPA, WIFI, 3.5 mm audio jack, mini-USB, music keys, 3D accelerated graphics, 16 million colour QVGA screen, 3D stereo sound, FM Radio, A2DP, dual slider.

And guess what, being Symbian you can actually install your own apps on it also. And still answer phone calls. Not to mention not bring down the west coast.
I like lots about the N95 but relative to the iPhone there are some negatives:

1) Storage limited to microSD. A real shame for a multi-media phone.

2) Lower res screen (240x320).

3) No touch-screen or QWERTY keyboard - text input will be a pain.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Is the N95 triband? If so, no thanks, good camera or not.

The E61 is thin and still has a removable battery. No excuse. Apple getting iPod-like greedy again. I'm certain we'll be sending our phones to Apple for replacement batteries at a nice little cost.

For $600USD, they could put in an expansion slot. Nokia has sense enough to do that even on their 8GB phones, don't they?

iPhone is NOT perfect in my eyes. Better innovation than what Palm is doing, but needs tweaking so they do not piss off any more consumsers. And there are a lot of unhappy iPod customers. I'm not one yet for the video iPod, Nano is a little different. Apple has inconsistent build quality on those.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I agree with you all. I phone sucks , but i am buying two of them come june.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I didn't say it sucked. But it isn't perfect either.

As of now I'd rather buy a TyTN, or a 750, and an N75; instead of 2 iPhones. 2007=3G, at those prices. $600 for a non-3G phone is a BAD move!! I might have done that 2 years ago because 3G barely existed here if at all, but not anymore.

I do wish they would add a cooler interface like that to the iPod, because honestly Creative has them beat in the display factor. Not that the basic interface is horrible, just Creatve offers more choices.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
The E61 is thin and still has a removable battery. No excuse.
But not as thin as an iPhone. Doesn't it stand to reason that a removable battery takes up more space: plastic around the actual battery, metal/plastic battery housing in the device, constraints on internal design etc? Just looking inside my E61 I'm guessing the volume increase due the replaceable battery is fairly signicant. Don't get me wrong, if push came to shove and I had to choose I probably go for removable, but it does seem to me that there's a price to paid.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The T-Mobile Dash, Moto Q and Samsung Blackjack also all have removable batteries. The Moto Q is 11.5 mm. The Iphone is 11.6 mm. Apple is full of excuses.

Surur

stroths

Apr 16, 2006
Visit site
Don't those two phones lack a touchscreen? The touchscreen functionality adds thickness, so it seems Apple compensated by integrating the battery. I would still rather have a removable battery as I see no point in sending off a phone for a battery replacement.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
No-one said the Iphone HAD to be the thinnest phone in the world. Either Jobs decided to sacrifice the removable battery for style, or he did it for even more nefarious reasons.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Don't those two phones lack a touchscreen? The touchscreen functionality adds thickness, so it seems Apple compensated by integrating the battery. I would still rather have a removable battery as I see no point in sending off a phone for a battery replacement.
Really these are apples to to oranges comparisons. The other phones have no touch screen, smaller screens and very little flash memory but have keyboards, lots of other buttons and expansion slots - all of which impact device size.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I still think Apple could have added a removeable battery. Even if it had somewhat poor battery life as a lot of thin batteries do, you could carry a replacement.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I still think Apple could have added a removeable battery. Even if it had somewhat poor battery life as a lot of thin batteries do, you could carry a replacement.
Or they could have just added a mm to the thickness and stayed with the same capacity battery. To be fair though, Apple probably no a whole lot more about their target market than I do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods