01-15-2007 01:52 PM
    nice, it's done....
    01-15-2007 01:54 PM
    Wow! Rabid Apple fans there. Poor Andrew!

Surur
    01-15-2007 02:20 PM
    Wow - that's a pretty wonky comparison.

"OK now I'm going to compare the device I'm holding to one I've only ever seen in picture. I think it's pretty clear that in terms of usability, that the device I'm holding comes out on top".

I have my doubts about the day in/day out usability of the iphone but ya know, I like to base my evaluation on user experience rather than.. em.. guess work based on a jpeg image and a sorta-maybe-wellnotreally emulation program running on the device I'm holding.

it's old-fashioned I know...
    01-15-2007 02:42 PM
    Wow - that's a pretty wonky comparison.

"OK now I'm going to compare the device I'm holding to one I've only ever seen in picture. I think it's pretty clear that in terms of usability, that the device I'm holding comes out on top".

I have my doubts about the day in/day out usability of the iphone but ya know, I like to base my evaluation on user experience rather than.. em.. guess work based on a jpeg image and a sorta-maybe-wellnotreally emulation program running on the device I'm holding.

it's old-fashioned I know...
    Shame on you. You'll the place a good name with a sensible approach like that
    01-15-2007 03:20 PM
    i agree. i want to try typing on the iphone myself before passing judgement. i will also say that the issue of the virtual keyboard has been my one and only question mark since its announcement. right now, i have to look at the keyboard to some degree whether typing on my Treo or Pearl.
    01-15-2007 04:25 PM
    Don't get me wrong - the iphone could be awful the worst phone for usability ever but that's not to be determined using an entirely different device using a skin emulator.
    01-15-2007 04:31 PM
    Shame on you. You'll the place a good name with a sensible approach like that
    'give' was the word I was looking for in this sentence :o
    01-15-2007 04:39 PM
    You don't need to have used an iPhone to know what touching buttons on a screen feels like compared to pressing real buttons Obviously knowing how usable the UI is would have to wait until a hands on demo.
    01-16-2007 11:19 AM
    "OK now I'm going to compare the device I'm holding to one I've only ever seen in picture. I think it's pretty clear that in terms of usability, that the device I'm holding comes out on top"
    LOL
    01-16-2007 12:18 PM
    Yet another (of many more to come) of shots at the iphone. Gee, I wonder who's behind them.
    01-16-2007 12:20 PM
    What do you all think if the iPhone were a slider? Choice to use a keyboard/keypad or not? Obviously they'd have to change the length of the screen, otherwise the phone would be too long open, but that might have stopped the "we can't live without a keyboard or keypad" problem.
    01-16-2007 12:55 PM
    Diva,

Since the iPhone's announcement, I have been using my fingers on my Treo 650 touchscreen, which of course is much smaller than iPhone's screen, to determine if dialing alone will be a problem for me when the iPhone arrives. Previously, I have been a keyboard user. Surprisingly, it's been okay. In the mix of things, Apple is claiming to have improved the touchscreen technology with "multi-touch" -- in the end that might be okay to convert to iPhone.

What do you all think if the iPhone were a slider? Choice to use a keyboard/keypad or not? Obviously they'd have to change the length of the screen, otherwise the phone would be too long open, but that might have stopped the "we can't live without a keyboard or keypad" problem.
    01-16-2007 02:53 PM
    Why so grim? Why so gloom? Why so doom? If you are right, that there is little to be excited about with iPhone, in June 2007, then we will post a thread titled:

SURUR WAS RIGHT! And then we'll all run back and cling to our HTCs and Treos much tighter.

Wow! Rabid Apple fans there. Poor Andrew!

Surur
    01-16-2007 03:00 PM
    They keyboard is not the biggest problem with the IPhone. One is the closed application system, and secondly, the arrogance of Apple and its supporters.

Surur
    01-16-2007 03:01 PM
    secondly, the arrogance of Apple and its supporters.
    How does that affect form and function? Do you not think that treo users can be just as sneery?
    01-16-2007 03:03 PM
    Why so grim? Why so gloom? Why so doom? If you are right, that there is little to be excited about with iPhone, in June 2007, then we will post a thread titled:

SURUR WAS RIGHT! And then we'll all run back and cling to our HTCs and Treos much tighter.
    By then a lot of damage will have been done. Share price of Palm, HTC and even Motorola have taken a slump. People are holding of purchasing proper smartphones like the Blackjack due to this unjustified hype. Real products are being measured against Apple's lies. Its the PS3 all over again - lots of hype, but ultimately doomed to poor delivery.

I am glad an increasing backlash is starting against the device. Hopefully by the time it launches people who buy the IPhone will look similar idiots to the people who paid for an overpriced, gimmicky PS3 with ironically also no 3rd party software of note.

Surur
    01-16-2007 03:06 PM
    Honestly I bet the average consumer really just saw the iPhone hype in passing. TV quit talking about it over the weekend from what I've seen. Only us "techie" people keep talking about it.

Are people really drooling over the iPhone or just the few who post on tech boards?
    01-16-2007 08:09 PM
    They keyboard is not the biggest problem with the IPhone. One is the closed application system, and secondly, the arrogance of Apple and its supporters.

Surur
    I think it can be a HUGE problem. Screen durability and possibilty of the screen shorting out eventually from all that touching. God forbid someone drops the iPhone!! Will the screen break or get all wacky when you try to use it again?
    01-16-2007 08:13 PM
    Honestly I bet the average consumer really just saw the iPhone hype in passing. TV quit talking about it over the weekend from what I've seen. Only us "techie" people keep talking about it.
    The average consumer does not buy smartphones. Its the techies that are waiting with baited breath.

Surur
    01-16-2007 09:06 PM
    I think it would be that much better (plus the battery - but that's another thread ) - anyway I'll wait to hear other opinions on the actual usability..too expensive right now for my tastes, not to mention a few issues in its present form.
    01-16-2007 09:22 PM
    i agree. i want to try typing on the iphone myself before passing judgement. i will also say that the issue of the virtual keyboard has been my one and only question mark since its announcement. right now, i have to look at the keyboard to some degree whether typing on my Treo or Pearl.
    At first i thought typing would be awkward, but after trying to type on my Nokia 770 which has a onscreen keyboard, it is not too bad. It does take a little getting used to, but only a few minutes of usage is enough. I do not think the 770 has any fancy recognition system, so one does make more mistakes. Comparing to my 650 is unfair because i used a treo for many years now (a 180 before the 650).

One thing is though that one has to look at the keyboard to type, and that typing is too handed.
    01-17-2007 05:06 AM
    the slider folk would probably care for one, those non-slider folk would not (including those who thought a slider would work but who migrated back to a keyboard and there are a lot). i personally think sliders are inefficient given the amount of typing and texting i do. i don't want to turn the thing around or have a phone that is so tall in palm when having to use it.

tough to say that something is or isn't going to work until it is actually used. i've been a skeptic about the keyboard since its announcement but having now seen the onscreen image of the virtual keyboard i'm less so. at this point i simply need to type on it to determine if it will work for my needs.
    01-17-2007 07:49 AM
    I think it can be a HUGE problem. Screen durability and possibilty of the screen shorting out eventually from all that touching. God forbid someone drops the iPhone!! Will the screen break or get all wacky when you try to use it again?
    possible shorting? don't you think that's a bit of a stretch? i've dropped my ipods and they still seem to work. but hec, i've dropped my pda's and they haven't kept working properly. i guess i'll asign that to randomness though.

shorting? c'mon...
    01-17-2007 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD