He does not really explain but here it is:
    01-14-2007 10:34 PM
    Haha I am listening to his rambling on TWIT right now.

Well he predicted the Apple intel move so he is right once in a while.

Apple still want too much control over the user experience, that will prevent them from growing marketing fast.
    01-15-2007 11:25 AM
    IIRC, at the end of the the CNBC clip he states that the trend is towards keyboards such as those found on the Treo and gives the impression that that is why he thinks the iPhone is not likely to gain wide acceptance. Something like that. He is usually pretty good so I was a bit surprised to hear it.
    01-15-2007 11:29 AM
    I read that the iPhone might be the PS3 of smartphones and it is very possible that Palm comes out with the Wii of smartphones.

Al
    01-15-2007 06:45 PM
    I read that the iPhone might be the PS3 of smartphones and it is very possible that Palm comes out with the Wii of smartphones.

Al

em.. why? the company behind the Wii has a history of innovation. The last innovation that palm had (the treo) was purchased...
    01-15-2007 06:54 PM
    That guy just sounds like a tired, angry fellow who is getting fed up with his career... honestly. Something or someone ticked him off that day, and that interview was proof... The whole "this sucked, that sucked" attitude was pretty telling. kinda funny, actually just a bitter guy, that`s all.
    01-15-2007 07:12 PM
    I'd love for that to be the case. Where did you read it?

That guy just sounds like a tired, angry fellow who is getting fed up with his career... honestly. Something or someone ticked him off that day, and that interview was proof... The whole "this sucked, that sucked" attitude was pretty telling. kinda funny, actually just a bitter guy, that`s all.
    That's the way he always sounds. He's just grumpy.
    01-15-2007 08:03 PM
    [Q
    em.. why? the company behind the Wii has a history of innovation. The
    last innovation that palm had (the treo) was purchased...
    Yes, but the team that built the treo is still there and if you want to get technical it is actually that team that handed Apple's head to it when the Pilot whooped up on the newton. I'd not bet on it, but Palm may innovate its way out of this jam.
    01-15-2007 08:32 PM
    em.. why? the company behind the Wii has a history of innovation. The last innovation that palm had (the treo) was purchased...
    How can a company that keep making the same IPs again and again and last new IP they made (Pikmin) was 4 years ago a company of innovation?

You are just drinking NIntendo's cool-aid as much as Steve Jobs.
    01-15-2007 10:05 PM
    is it possible to use anything other than the word "coolaid"? is this the only word in the vocabulary anymore?

"he's drinkin coolaid, she's drinkin coolaid, their drinkin coolaid, you're drinkin coolaid....."

come up with something new, for the love of god, please, to describe what you think is unwarranted enthusiasm. the "coolaid" thing is absolutely positively frickin OLD AND TIRED, already, folks!!!!!
    01-16-2007 02:17 AM
    I'm sure he is just reacting against the huge unjustified hype of the IPhone, which pretends to 'do phone right' and be better than all other phones, smart or not.

Surur
    01-16-2007 02:39 AM
    come up with something new, for the love of god, please, to describe what you think is unwarranted enthusiasm. the "coolaid" thing is absolutely positively frickin OLD AND TIRED, already, folks!!!!!
    "Iwata reality distortion field"
    01-16-2007 09:18 AM

that is his M.O. he is a cranky geek.

He is columnist and he knows all he has to do is say something bad (not that he doesnt feel that way) about apple and his readership will go up.

BTW, he is right. the rest of the phone market seems to be adopting key boards for these types of phones. wasnt the treo 180 (or 90) available with a kb and without. guess which one won?

apple is bucking the trend here.
    01-16-2007 11:43 AM

Al

Heh....nono, that's not quite correct. When was the last time Palm innovated anything? PalmOS? Years ago. Treo? Acquired through Handspring.

Here's how I see it. The Apple iPhone is like the Nintendo 64 (means to an end, Nintendo didn't have much success with this product), but Nintendo immediately followed with the Gamecube, then the Wii. Give it a couple generations and Apple will get it to a point where a lot of people will like it.

Palm, at least right now, seems to be like the Dreamcast, it has potential, but can't act on it, and it's dying. I hope they turn it around, clean house, and get some fresh blood in there.
    01-16-2007 12:19 PM
    I think it is funny that a company that is selling more product than ever before is dying.
    People are on glue (is that better than kool-aid?)
    01-16-2007 12:24 PM
    that is his M.O. he is a cranky geek.

He is columnist and he knows all he has to do is say something bad (not that he doesnt feel that way) about apple and his readership will go up.

BTW, he is right. the rest of the phone market seems to be adopting key boards for these types of phones. wasnt the treo 180 (or 90) available with a kb and without. guess which one won?

apple is bucking the trend here.
    Yes, it is a valid point, especially with so many Europeans and Asians having become very proficent with the keyboard. We shall see...
    01-16-2007 12:40 PM
    How can a company that keep making the same IPs again and again and last new IP they made (Pikmin) was 4 years ago a company of innovation?

You are just drinking NIntendo's cool-aid as much as Steve Jobs.
    What's cool-aid? some form of drug.

I guess I could be an apple fanboy but then I'd have actually have used a single one of their products (I *think* I once used a mac in a shop but it was so long ago, I could have just been looking at it).
    01-16-2007 03:16 PM
    What's cool-aid? some form of drug.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_jones. Search for "Flavor Aid" on that page.
    01-16-2007 03:27 PM

.....I guess I could be an apple fanboy but then I'd have actually have used a single one of their products (I *think* I once used a mac in a shop but it was so long ago, I could have just been looking at it).
    You don't need to own something to be a fan of the brand.....I am a Ferrari fan.

Heh....nono, that's not quite correct. When was the last time Palm innovated anything? PalmOS? Years ago. Treo? Acquired through Handspring.
    Well, to be fair, wasn't Treo 650 the first phone to use resistance memory? I am not sure.

Also, thread message. That's "innovation" for you.
    01-16-2007 05:20 PM
    "Iwata reality distortion field"
    much better

prefer that as opposed to hearing about how people are durrrinkin` coolaid all the time...burp
    01-16-2007 05:36 PM
    Heh....nono, that's not quite correct. When was the last time Palm innovated anything? PalmOS? Years ago. Treo?
    I'd put forth they've done wonders for WM5.

Colligan noted their relationship with MS is very different then people like HTC or Dell b/c Palm works with MS at the engineering level, which makes for a tight but much more in depth experience.

The result is all the tweaks to WM5, giving it that "Palm ease-of-use feel" and a much more stable device. It's only a 312 mhz processor but feels zippier than my 416mhz 6700.

The closest to this would be O2 who uses a lot of their own refinements/tweaks to WM5, but we don't have them in the US.

Though it'd never happen, how cool would it be for Palm to play with the iPhone?
    01-16-2007 05:38 PM
    Well, to be fair, wasn't Treo 650 the first phone to use resistance memory? I am not sure.
    I think the order was:

1st Symbian
    2nd Palm
    3rd PPC/WM

Remember how badly Palm screwed it up?
    01-16-2007 05:54 PM
    Dvorak is semi-right. The iPhone is not all that and I agree with Merlyn_3D when he says that the 3rd generation of the iPhone is gonna be freaking awesome. However, Palm has Hawkins working on something similar to the iPhone. Come on you guys have to have read what Hawkins said he had in mind? He was describing an iPhone. I don't know if Apple stole his idea and put it in together or Hawkins is actually the man behind the iPhone. Anyway, if Hawkins is still with Palm and is planning is coming out with this new device it is really gonna rock..! The killer punch is gonna be that Palm is going to take out expensive features that the iPhone has and sell this new device at a cheaper price. Wii know Palm have no option but to make it cheaper. And yes it is going to have a wide screen and a hard drive.

Al
    01-16-2007 06:06 PM
    Is this the same Dvorak who had the inside-the-back-cover spot in MacUser back in the early 1990's?
    01-16-2007 06:20 PM
    Hey, if DVorak hates it, it will be enorously successful.

I'd like to see a Newton right about now!
    01-16-2007 06:27 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD