Dvorak Knocks the iPhone

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Heh....nono, that's not quite correct. When was the last time Palm innovated anything? PalmOS? Years ago. Treo?
I'd put forth they've done wonders for WM5.

Colligan noted their relationship with MS is very different then people like HTC or Dell b/c Palm works with MS at the engineering level, which makes for a tight but much more in depth experience.

The result is all the tweaks to WM5, giving it that "Palm ease-of-use feel" and a much more stable device. It's only a 312 mhz processor but feels zippier than my 416mhz 6700.

The closest to this would be O2 who uses a lot of their own refinements/tweaks to WM5, but we don't have them in the US.

Though it'd never happen, how cool would it be for Palm to play with the iPhone?

Treolo

Mar 10, 2000
Visit site
Dvorak is semi-right. The iPhone is not all that and I agree with Merlyn_3D when he says that the 3rd generation of the iPhone is gonna be freaking awesome. However, Palm has Hawkins working on something similar to the iPhone. Come on you guys have to have read what Hawkins said he had in mind? He was describing an iPhone. I don't know if Apple stole his idea and put it in together or Hawkins is actually the man behind the iPhone. Anyway, if Hawkins is still with Palm and is planning is coming out with this new device it is really gonna rock..! The killer punch is gonna be that Palm is going to take out expensive features that the iPhone has and sell this new device at a cheaper price. Wii know Palm have no option but to make it cheaper. And yes it is going to have a wide screen and a hard drive.

Al

KRamsauer

Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
Hey, if DVorak hates it, it will be enorously successful.

I'd like to see a Newton right about now!

Interestingly, both devices detailed at the recent keynote have analogues in truly disastrous productions: the pippin and the newton. Maybe they were just too ahead of their time?

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
They may have tweaked it for speed, but it's hardly stable. There are lots of little bugs on the 750v. On a new Cingular 750 I only got a couple of days ago, it has stopped having any sound or vibration twice already. Makes it kind of hard to tell you have a phone call. Soft reset fixes it, but this is not acceptable in a phone product.

Speedy, yes good enough. Nice enhancement tweaks, yes. Stable, absolutely not.

The result is all the tweaks to WM5, giving it that "Palm ease-of-use feel" and a much more stable device. It's only a 312 mhz processor but feels zippier than my 416mhz 6700.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
I think the pippin was an underpowered game console nobody was interested in. I don't think it was anything like the Apple TV. The Newton had two main problems. When first launched it was way over-hyped as being "intelligent", which of course when the recognition wasn't perfect it got killed for. Then rather than focus it on being a better PDA, they kept adding features and making it bigger. I never wanted PCMCIA slots on it, I wanted it smaller but they kept making it into a mini-PC. But the OS was very nice, I still think it was a better handheld OS than anything since. But it got off to a bad start and then went in the wrong direction.

Interestingly, both devices detailed at the recent keynote have analogues in truly disastrous productions: the pippin and the newton. Maybe they were just too ahead of their time?

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
I don't think the Pinpin was over hyped since it was never released in the US.

It was released in Japan under Bandai's badge.