Dvorak Knocks the iPhone

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
Haha I am listening to his rambling on TWIT right now.

Well he predicted the Apple intel move so he is right once in a while.

Apple still want too much control over the user experience, that will prevent them from growing marketing fast.

copernicus

Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
IIRC, at the end of the the CNBC clip he states that the trend is towards keyboards such as those found on the Treo and gives the impression that that is why he thinks the iPhone is not likely to gain wide acceptance. Something like that. He is usually pretty good so I was a bit surprised to hear it.

Treolo

Mar 10, 2000
Visit site
I read that the iPhone might be the PS3 of smartphones and it is very possible that Palm comes out with the Wii of smartphones.

Al

CGK#IM

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
I read that the iPhone might be the PS3 of smartphones and it is very possible that Palm comes out with the Wii of smartphones.

Al

em.. why? the company behind the Wii has a history of innovation. The last innovation that palm had (the treo) was purchased...

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
That guy just sounds like a tired, angry fellow who is getting fed up with his career... honestly. Something or someone ticked him off that day, and that interview was proof... The whole "this sucked, that sucked" attitude was pretty telling. kinda funny, actually :D :D just a bitter guy, that`s all.

MarkY

Oct 27, 2004
Visit site
Treolo said:
I'd love for that to be the case. Where did you read it?

That guy just sounds like a tired, angry fellow who is getting fed up with his career... honestly. Something or someone ticked him off that day, and that interview was proof... The whole "this sucked, that sucked" attitude was pretty telling. kinda funny, actually :D :D just a bitter guy, that`s all.
That's the way he always sounds. He's just grumpy.

KRamsauer

Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
[Q
em.. why? the company behind the Wii has a history of innovation. The
last innovation that palm had (the treo) was purchased...

Yes, but the team that built the treo is still there and if you want to get technical it is actually that team that handed Apple's head to it when the Pilot whooped up on the newton. I'd not bet on it, but Palm may innovate its way out of this jam.

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
em.. why? the company behind the Wii has a history of innovation. The last innovation that palm had (the treo) was purchased...

How can a company that keep making the same IPs again and again and last new IP they made (Pikmin) was 4 years ago a company of innovation?

You are just drinking NIntendo's cool-aid as much as Steve Jobs.

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
is it possible to use anything other than the word "coolaid"? is this the only word in the vocabulary anymore?

"he's drinkin coolaid, she's drinkin coolaid, their drinkin coolaid, you're drinkin coolaid....."

come up with something new, for the love of god, please, to describe what you think is unwarranted enthusiasm. the "coolaid" thing is absolutely positively frickin OLD AND TIRED, already, folks!!!!!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

I'm sure he is just reacting against the huge unjustified hype of the IPhone, which pretends to 'do phone right' and be better than all other phones, smart or not.

Surur

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site

that is his M.O. he is a cranky geek.

He is columnist and he knows all he has to do is say something bad (not that he doesnt feel that way) about apple and his readership will go up.

BTW, he is right. the rest of the phone market seems to be adopting key boards for these types of phones. wasnt the treo 180 (or 90) available with a kb and without. guess which one won?

apple is bucking the trend here.

Merlyn_3D

Oct 23, 2005
Visit site

Al

Heh....nono, that's not quite correct. When was the last time Palm innovated anything? PalmOS? Years ago. Treo? Acquired through Handspring.

Here's how I see it. The Apple iPhone is like the Nintendo 64 (means to an end, Nintendo didn't have much success with this product), but Nintendo immediately followed with the Gamecube, then the Wii. Give it a couple generations and Apple will get it to a point where a lot of people will like it.

Palm, at least right now, seems to be like the Dreamcast, it has potential, but can't act on it, and it's dying. I hope they turn it around, clean house, and get some fresh blood in there.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I think it is funny that a company that is selling more product than ever before is dying.:p
People are on glue (is that better than kool-aid?)

copernicus

Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
that is his M.O. he is a cranky geek.

He is columnist and he knows all he has to do is say something bad (not that he doesnt feel that way) about apple and his readership will go up.

BTW, he is right. the rest of the phone market seems to be adopting key boards for these types of phones. wasnt the treo 180 (or 90) available with a kb and without. guess which one won?

apple is bucking the trend here.
Yes, it is a valid point, especially with so many Europeans and Asians having become very proficent with the keyboard. We shall see...

CGK#IM

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
How can a company that keep making the same IPs again and again and last new IP they made (Pikmin) was 4 years ago a company of innovation?

You are just drinking NIntendo's cool-aid as much as Steve Jobs.

What's cool-aid? some form of drug.

I guess I could be an apple fanboy but then I'd have actually have used a single one of their products (I *think* I once used a mac in a shop but it was so long ago, I could have just been looking at it).

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
.....I guess I could be an apple fanboy but then I'd have actually have used a single one of their products (I *think* I once used a mac in a shop but it was so long ago, I could have just been looking at it).

You don't need to own something to be a fan of the brand.....I am a Ferrari fan. ;)

Heh....nono, that's not quite correct. When was the last time Palm innovated anything? PalmOS? Years ago. Treo? Acquired through Handspring.

Well, to be fair, wasn't Treo 650 the first phone to use resistance memory? I am not sure.

Also, thread message. That's "innovation" for you. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal