Is this the same Dvorak who had the inside-the-back-cover spot in MacUser back in the early 1990's?
    I think so. (John C. ...)
    01-16-2007 06:27 PM
    Hey, if DVorak hates it, it will be enorously successful.

I'd like to see a Newton right about now!
    Interestingly, both devices detailed at the recent keynote have analogues in truly disastrous productions: the pippin and the newton. Maybe they were just too ahead of their time?
    01-16-2007 09:29 PM
    They may have tweaked it for speed, but it's hardly stable. There are lots of little bugs on the 750v. On a new Cingular 750 I only got a couple of days ago, it has stopped having any sound or vibration twice already. Makes it kind of hard to tell you have a phone call. Soft reset fixes it, but this is not acceptable in a phone product.

Speedy, yes good enough. Nice enhancement tweaks, yes. Stable, absolutely not.

The result is all the tweaks to WM5, giving it that "Palm ease-of-use feel" and a much more stable device. It's only a 312 mhz processor but feels zippier than my 416mhz 6700.
    01-16-2007 11:51 PM
    I think the pippin was an underpowered game console nobody was interested in. I don't think it was anything like the Apple TV. The Newton had two main problems. When first launched it was way over-hyped as being "intelligent", which of course when the recognition wasn't perfect it got killed for. Then rather than focus it on being a better PDA, they kept adding features and making it bigger. I never wanted PCMCIA slots on it, I wanted it smaller but they kept making it into a mini-PC. But the OS was very nice, I still think it was a better handheld OS than anything since. But it got off to a bad start and then went in the wrong direction.

Interestingly, both devices detailed at the recent keynote have analogues in truly disastrous productions: the pippin and the newton. Maybe they were just too ahead of their time?
    01-16-2007 11:58 PM
    When first launched it was way over-hyped...
    Ain't it fun when history repeats itself?
    01-17-2007 08:25 AM
    I don't think the Pinpin was over hyped since it was never released in the US.

It was released in Japan under Bandai's badge.
    01-17-2007 09:02 AM
    I think the pippin was an underpowered game console nobody was interested in.
    It was also positioned as a not-quite-computer but not-quite-game-console. Not designed to replace a computer, but designed to be attached to your TV to augment it.
    01-17-2007 11:32 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD