01-14-2007 05:16 PM
    5) No iTunes songs as ring tones.
    This part is likely to irk many more people.

Surur
    01-14-2007 05:53 PM
    iTunes songs are seemingly different from songs ripped from your CDs. It could be a DRM issue. Which means you may be able to use non-iTunes songs.

Since Cingular won't have their crap on it, there has to be some way to get ringtones.

For me the this is a non issue. My Treo is on vibrate 95% if the time.
    01-14-2007 06:00 PM
    It does include Flash and Java, though
    This one has been denied by David Pogue, who had a hands-on.

Surur
    01-14-2007 06:02 PM
    :shake:
    Yeah , but the thread was about VOIP.
    I don't care as i dont use VOIP.
    01-14-2007 06:03 PM
    :shake:
    Yeah , but the thread was about VOIP.
    I don't care as i dont use VOIP.
    You don't use VOIP so it should not be included for others? I and many others (who have smartphones, ahem) and 3g do use VOIP (Skype or Google Talk, the later even running on 1x speeds)

Once again, this is yet another difference between a true smartphone and a media phone.
    01-14-2007 06:07 PM
    This one has been denied by David Pogue, who had a hands-on.

Surur
    Pogue:

"First, though, a clarification on my earlier post…

“Will the browser offer Flash and Java?” –In my previous blog post, I said “No” (you’ll see why in a moment). But several of you have pointed out an interview published in the German magazine MacWelt, in which the browser IS said to offer Flash and Java.

So I’ve asked John Markoff, who audio-recorded our interview with Steve Jobs, to play back the relevant exchange for me. Here it is:

——
    Markoff: “What about all those plugins that live within Safari now, like Flash or like Java or like JavaScript?”

Jobs: “Well, JavaScript’s built into the Phone. Sure.”

Markoff: “And what are you thinking about Flash and Java?”

Jobs: “Java’s not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It’s this big heavyweight ball and chain.”

Markoff: “Flash?”

Jobs: “Well, you might see that.”

Markoff: “What about YouTube–”

Jobs: “Yeah, YouTube—of course. But you don’t need to have Flash to show YouTube. All you need to do is deal with YouTube. And plus, we could get ‘em to up their video resolution at the same time, by using h.264 instead of the old codec.”"

EndQuote
    01-14-2007 06:08 PM
    You don't use VOIP so it should not be included for others? I and many others (who have smartphones, ahem) and 3g do use VOIP (Skype or Google Talk, the later even running on 1x speeds)

Once again, this is yet another difference between a true smartphone and a media phone.
    Where did Jobs call this a smartphone? I understand he drew comparisons. But only in a few areas. In general he wanted to "reinvent the phone" whether he did that or not is up to everyones individual opinions.
    01-14-2007 06:20 PM
    Where did Jobs call this a smartphone? I understand he drew comparisons. But only in a few areas. In general he wanted to "reinvent the phone" whether he did that or not is up to everyones individual opinions.
    Well, I don't think I said Jobs said that...

This was discussed earlier though:

- during his presentation, he directly compared it to the Treo, BB and other Smartphones (but in the keyboard area).

- his whole talk made it look like a smartphone or at least comparable.

- others here on this board are using the Wikipedia definition to say it is
    01-14-2007 06:33 PM
    This part is likely to irk many more people.

Surur

Yeah - far more than any general consumers who care about VOIP.
    01-14-2007 06:46 PM
    Doesn't the iPhone uses the samsung cpu and a dedicated video chip? I don't think the samsung cpu is fast enough to run Skype even if you have a open platform.

They can roll their own yahoo voice client or whatever but then they would step on Cingular's toes.
    01-14-2007 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD