By RANDALL STROSS
    Published: January 14, 2007
    STEVE JOBS, Apples showman nonpareil, provided the first public glimpse of the iPhone last week gorgeous, feature-laden and pricey. While following the master magicians gestures, it was easy to overlook a most disappointing aspect: like its slimmer iPod siblings, the iPhones music-playing function will be limited by factory-installed crippleware.

If crippleware seems an unduly harsh description, it balances the euphemistic names that the industry uses for copy protection. Apple officially calls its own standard FairPlay, but fair it is not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/bu...IKeWW7gSyHRmKg
    01-14-2007 01:55 PM
    Interesting article but clearly the writer is using the iPhone to launch a much larger, older debate about DRM. The iPhone barely gets mentioned.

I'm still using iTunes 5 and JHymn to rip DRM off my tracks (QTFairUse6 is out now I guess it works with iTunes 7+)
    01-14-2007 02:04 PM
    What exactly is this crippleware? You mean the same software installed in millions of iPods? You don't like iTunes? Buy a CD and rip it to any MP3. You want to see crippleware? Try Microsoft's DRM.
    01-14-2007 02:58 PM
    What exactly is this crippleware? You mean the same software installed in millions of iPods? You don't like iTunes? Buy a CD and rip it to any MP3. You want to see crippleware? Try Microsoft's DRM.
    Did you read the article?

It defines crippleware.

It mentions burning to a CD to bypass it.

It mentions and heavily criticizes Microsoft's DRM (especially the Zune)
    01-14-2007 03:16 PM
    Yes, I did. I'm not agreeing with the definition of crippleware, it's a DRM scheme that they need to get agreements with record companies. If you legally buy the CD or the song you can get around any issues. I really don't see how this can be justified as crippleware, they aren't taking away any functionality with the exception of unlimited distribution.
    01-14-2007 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD