IPhone, the Final Treo Killer

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
If you had been on this forum as long as I have, and I know many have been on longer, we have lived through this endless barrage of threads predicting Palms demise. The dreaded "Treo Killer". We have seen dozens of them.

Result??

Palm is selling more Treos than ever before. I remember having a flip 180 and it being the star trek communicator that no one had ever seen. Now every Frumpy Freddy at the grocery store has one. I see them everywhere, might as well be a razor.

From the first WM, Symbian... phones that were released years ago, THOSE were going to be the phones that put Palm under.

We have watched years of "I am dumping my Palm for a ..." and months later the same names are back after there terrible experiences with XXX phones.

I am happy iphone came out, I was sold, hook, line and sinker. Thank god they weren't selling them the day it was annouced, I would have been first in line.

Do I think it is a very cool product? YES!!! Would I buy one and return it 29 days later, sure. Sim cards have always been great.

But I am hoping that the latest Treo Killer just kicks Palm in the azz to get better, as every other "Treo Killer" has done in the past. :cool:

Jan 16, 2006
Visit site
I'd just be happy with a 750 that operates on a very upgraded version of the palm OS. Form its' fine for me, size.. I dont care. I just want it to work :)

Windows Mobile for me just doesn't work, ever.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I really hope the iPhone pushes the other device makers to make substantial upgrades. I hope the days of 240x240 screens are over.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Now that's little change in position from your opinions in other threads !!
Great.

What change in opinion? I still have the same opinion. From the start I said I thought the iphone was a cool product. I just said it is very limited, I still maintain that position. I knew instantly that it would sell as projected, I never held any other position.

I did change my intial impression though, you are right, when I was watching the keynote, I was blown away... it took me a day to come to my senses and see through the smoke and mirrors.

I don't think the Ipod is the best music device out there, but people like the form factor and the name recognition. The phone will sell.

For those of you that are buying the phone, and are not on Cingular now.
Happy Edge!!! I have had Cingular with every Treo. Edge WAS fast, before everyone and their mother was using it.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Hear, hear! I'm tired of all the bugs in Palm's products. From Palm OS Treos that spontaneously reset to WM5 Treos with broken bluetooth functionality.

I'm dumping Treos for products that function as advertised. I'm getting the iPhone when it comes out partially as faith that Apple will deliver. I'm just trying to decide what to use to hold me over, a Treo 750 or a Blackberry Pearl.

I'd just be happy with a 750 that operates on a very upgraded version of the palm OS. Form its' fine for me, size.. I dont care. I just want it to work :)

Windows Mobile for me just doesn't work, ever.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Hear, hear! I'm tired of all the bugs in Palm's products. From Palm OS Treos that spontaneously reset to WM5 Treos with broken bluetooth functionality.

I'm dumping Treos for products that function as advertised. I'm getting the iPhone when it comes out partially as faith that Apple will deliver. I'm just trying to decide what to use to hold me over, a Treo 750 or a Blackberry Pearl.

right there with you, B.....i have both the 750c and Pearl. give the Pearl a try, you might be impressed. if you need a bunch of 3rd party apps stick with the 750 until the iphone becomes available. the Pearl is a no nonsense device...no bells/whistles/flashing lights, it just works but works really well.

meyerweb#CB

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I'm dumping Treos for products that function as advertised. I'm getting the iPhone when it comes out partially as faith that Apple will deliver.

This is just Soooo funny. No one has a clue as to whether the iPhone will work as advertised. In fact, we don't really know what it will be advertised to do in 6, or 8, or 10 months from now when it finally is finished, debugged, and has FCC approval. But you're all ready to buy one anyway.

For what it's worth, my Treo's pretty much do just what they claim to do, and just what I need them to do. Are they perfect? Of course not. Will the iPhone be perfect? I very much doubt it. Do any of us know how good the iPhone will be? Absolutely not.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Well I guess if Palm had made the decision to limit 3rd party apps (which is what Steve did) then they would be less glitchy. With my years with Treo's I have had resets but it was generally related to third party products. And usually after a few months the resets end. My 650 now never resets but I don't have a crap load apps on it either. But I have what I need...
Push email (Chatter), aim (Verichat), gprs, photo blogger (Splash Blog, customized rings (Ringo), deluxe mp3 player (Ptunes), Time management (Teak), Powerrun, Clean up..... I don't get resets...

I would rather have access to third party developers... they have been good to us, tailoring it my needs.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
I don't expect the iPhone to be perfect. But I expect the included features to function. I've had tons of problems with Palm's bluetooth. I picked a Blackberry Pearl and it's bluetooth is flawless in the same situations. I've never had a problem with the bluetooth or wifi on my Apple laptops. The third-party wifi card for the Treo 750 is buggy as heck (not Palm's direct fault except they don't have wifi!).

The iPhone could be terrible, but Apple's track record says otherwise. Will they lock you into their way of doing things? You bet. Will the next Treo have correctly functioning bluetooth? Magic 8 ball says no.

This is just Soooo funny. No one has a clue as to whether the iPhone will work as advertised. In fact, we don't really know what it will be advertised to do in 6, or 8, or 10 months from now when it finally is finished, debugged, and has FCC approval. But you're all ready to buy one anyway.

For what it's worth, my Treo's pretty much do just what they claim to do, and just what I need them to do. Are they perfect? Of course not. Will the iPhone be perfect? I very much doubt it. Do any of us know how good the iPhone will be? Absolutely not.

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
Just the real estate on the screen is enough for me to get one ,not to mention resolution and 2 MP camera ,
Visual voicemail, no hastle syncing would be awesome .
Waiting to buy two, one for wife .
I won't even hesitate to break my contract with T Mo.
I see a 20 gb version in a year or two.

Treo Rat

Aug 20, 2002
edgarces.com
Have you ever met another Treo user and asked them what 3rd party apps they have?

I have. Almost every other Realtor I know (I'm one of them) has a Treo and guess what, their Treo's are pretty much virgin:p Most of them don't even have an SD card. When I show them a video of Seinfeld on my Treo, they are in awe and couldn't believe that this is possible in a Treo. Unfortunately when I tell them how to download Kinoma and how to transfer the video files from their PC to an SD card, they just simply get turned off - too complicated for them. They don't even know they can use their Treo like an iPod!

When the iPhone comes out, these are the Treo users that will migrate in a heartbeat! Oh, and I will be one of them:)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Have you ever met another Treo user and asked them what 3rd party apps they have?

I have. Almost every other Realtor I know (I'm one of them) has a Treo and guess what, their Treo's are pretty much virgin:p

I though Realtors used lockbox software to open infra-red lock boxes like this.

http://www.sentrilock.com/article.asw?section=products/index&article_id=4

I dont think you will get this on your IPhone, at least not for the first few years. Thats the problem with a closed system like this, even if you just need ONE app and are happy with everything else stock, you wont get it.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I have. Almost every other Realtor I know (I'm one of them) has a Treo and guess what, their Treo's are pretty much virgin:p Most of them don't even have an SD card. When I show them a video of Seinfeld on my Treo, they are in awe and couldn't believe that this is possible in a Treo.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression the reason most Realtor's use a Treo device was because of things like Supra eKey and to a lesser extent other real estate programs? Is that possible on the iPhone?

Edit: Darn, Surur beat me to it as I was linking mine up!

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site

I dont think you will get this on your IPhone, at least not for the first few years. Thats the problem with a closed system like this, even if you just need ONE app and are happy with everything else stock, you wont get it.

Surur

The system isn't closed. Why can't you guys get that? It will simply be regulated to ensure the stability of the platform. That came from the mouth of Jobs.

This still has 5 months to develop as well. Plus wouldnt the iPhone need infra-red for this to work?

Treo Rat

Aug 20, 2002
edgarces.com

Surur

Yea right

I could easily picture myself with a client trying to open the lock box when my Treo goes on an endless reset loop:crazy:

In retrospect, I really love my Treo 650. If you look at my previous postings, I'm a Treo warrior and I will be until the iPhone re-appears in its final configuration. Being a Mac user, I think it will be a reliable device and definitely better than a Treo. There's too much at stake for Apple to screw up on this new product.

I will re-join these threads at that time. No sense talking and arguing about a device that's not even in the stores yet.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The system isn't closed. Why can't you guys get that? It will simply be regulated to ensure the stability of the platform. That came from the mouth of Jobs.

Thats the very kind interpretation. Thats not what Jobs announced.Jobs didn't say:
"We will have a regulated marketplace of approved ISV's and we are releasing the SDK next week."

In fact he said its a closed system, and they are not releasing the SDK. Bit difficult to write software if you dont even know which instruction set to target, isn't it.

This still has 5 months to develop as well. Plus wouldn't the iPhone need infra-red for this to work?

One more demographic written of I see, but I guess due to the lack of third party software they never had them in the first place. Say goodbye to using your very slick device as an infra-red remote control also.

Surur

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh