if the Treo worked

meyerweb#CB

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
My Treo works fine. I don't much use Bluetooth, so I don't care about that (it does work fine with the BlueTooth on my laptop, though). I use it for email, and web browsing, and phone, and occasionally music and video playback. With Datebk 5 it's a better calendar than Outlook desktop (and I'll be really surprised if the iPhone has as effective a calendar program). I use it for games, mapping, an RPN calculator (think the iPhone offers that?), a stop watch and timer. Does the iPhone have an encrypted password storage application? Does it have security software equal to TealLock, BluePill, or PDASecure? Does it offer the features of 3rd party apps like Flight Status, HandyShopper, or DocumentsToGo? Does it let me customize the device to my tastes, with capabilities like those offered by Butler, KeyCaps, Phone Technician and thousands of others?

Face it, if you buy into this phone you're buying into working the way Steve Jobs thinks you should work. I prefer a device which is flexibile enough to adapt to the way I want to work.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong and this will be the closest thing to a perfect phone anybody's created yet. I'm skeptical, though. And I'm certainly not ready to accept that based just on Steve Job's dog and pony show.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
once again, so many users who don't need a Treo and could do with a much slimmer design given the options available today. i do understand that they would have to accept and use an operating system non-palm.

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
They are not in the same class. One is a media phone the other is a smartphone.

A better comparison is the KRZR, Sanyo M1 compared to the iPhone.

What do you mean ?
iphone is a smartphone and a great media phone.
It does everything email , better browsing, voicemail contacts calendar everything a Treo does most of them better.

stroths

Apr 16, 2006
Visit site
What do you mean ?
It does everything email , better browsing, voicemail contacts calendar everything a Treo does most of them better.

Did a 3rd party already compare the Treo line side-by-side with the iPhone or are you basing it off of Apple's presentation? If an article is out by a 3rd party, would you post a link to it because I would like to see their conclusions.

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
Did a 3rd party already compare the Treo line side-by-side with the iPhone or are you basing it off of Apple's presentation? If an article is out by a 3rd party, would you post a link to it because I would like to see their conclusions.

No ,
I have been using Apple products for last 10 years . They will rarely disappoint you (skeptical about battery life on laptops), by announcing something and not meeting the expectations .
If it does what jobs showed . Thsi phone is a winner.
3 rd party reviews will be after the release , Apple is secretive about their product and will not kill the hype by allowing the phone to be used by someone before release .So, will have to wait till june . But, using their track record , they have my trust .

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
No ,
I have been using Apple products for last 10 years . They will rarely disappoint you (skeptical about battery life on laptops), by announcing something and not meeting the expectations .
If it does what jobs showed . Thsi phone is a winner.
3 rd party reviews will be after the release , Apple is secretive about their product and will not kill the hype by allowing the phone to be used by someone before release .So, will have to wait till june . But, using their track record , they have my trust .

Excuse me, but bulging batteries, less than expected battery life, G4 hinge problems, scratching ipod screens, cubes overheating....

I like the phone demo but lets be realistic, do you know why Steve was fired from Apple in the first place? For disappointing customers.

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
Excuse me, but bulging batteries, less than expected battery life, G4 hinge problems, scratching ipod screens, cubes overheating....

I like the phone demo but lets be realistic, do you know why Steve was fired from Apple in the first place? For disappointing customers.

They have been minor issues and are there with allmost all products .The products still did their job , Unlike the one you are comparing with where the track record and disappointments were bigger.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
What do you mean ?
Then it is the worst "smartphone" in existence.

I love that it does email, voicemail, contacts, calendar...you know like my friends RAZR. Well, except that RAZR actually has 3g and location-based GPS for mapping. :hmm:

If that's all you use your Treo for, then you should never have gotten a Treo in the first place :shake:

This is why it is not a smartphone:

- no Outlook synching
- no Word, PowerPoint, Excel viewing, let alone editing
- no GPS
- no IM (yet)
- no 3g or 4g
- no Slingbox (or streaming video)
- no internet radio (or streaming audio)
- no VOIP (Skype or Google Talk)
- no choice in networks (locked/exclusive)
- no 3rd party apps (in the traditional form/may change later, maybe not)
- no replaceable battery
- no remote admin

Tell you what, tell me how I can do all of that on the iPhone (which I now do on my Treo 700wx and the reason I bought it) and I'll take the iPhone seriously as a smart device.

Otherwise start comparing it the RAZR, KRZR, Sanyo m1, etc.

Face it, it's a glorified iPod with a phone and web browser. That's it. It's a very nice iPod with a phone and a web browser but that does not make a smartphone.

randyg

Nov 5, 2002
Visit site

Actually Steve was not fired for disappointing customers, do a little research on that one.
Bulging batteries: Made my Sony, these same batteries are catching Dells and other computers on fire!
Less than expected battery life: a) it depends on who's expecting what out of a battery. b) poor batter life...know anybody with a Treo 680?
G4 hinge problems: fixed at Apple's expense
Scratching iPod screens: obviously these people never heard of screen protectors. It's not a design flaw, it's a user problem for not taking care of their gadget. Do you not use some sort of screen protector on your Palm device?
Cubes overheating: yes, that was a problem, that was caused by someone laying paperwork or other devices on TOP of the Cube, preventing heat escape.

Sometimes you've got to know HOW to used technology, if you want cutting edge design, you might have to make some concessions. Would you treat a Lamborghini the same way you would a Pontiac? You could apply all of your complaints above to pretty much any manufacturer, it's just that Apple's products attract the limelight, good or bad.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Scratching iPod screens: obviously these people never heard of screen protectors. It's not a design flaw, it's a user problem for not taking care of their gadget. Do you not use some sort of screen protector on your Palm device?
If that is the case, why did they fix it in the Gen 2 devices (ridges, new material)?

Granted, I think it is nit picking a bit but still they were able to address the issue and they could have foreseen that problem with such a small slick device.

bclinger#IM

Sep 14, 2003
Visit site
If the Treo worked. Well my Treo 650 and 700P both work and work well. They both work well in a work environment and a play environment. Both work with ChatterEmail and HanDBase. They both work with Mundu Radio. They both work with...the list is very, very long.

The 700p works well with Documents to Go v8 and upgraded to v9 last night. It handles Word and Excel files exceeding well.

It works and it works very well.

Ben

like it was supposed to............there wouldn't even be a market for the iPhone :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2