Was that iPhone in the case just a dummy?

newtonjack

Oct 17, 2004
hometown.aol.com
I saw just a few pics of the iPhone demo. Was the display on the wall a video of the device or was it Jobs actually using the device live? Did he make and calls of show the phone web surfing etc?

Remember he owns Pixar, he could have made this film in the studio without actually using the device.

Apple usually does not announce devices unless they become for sale the day of the announcement.

Reason I go there is why wasn't anyone allowed to touch the device? This could all be a tactic to get people to stop buying other devices like Treos and Bberries now and wait for this iPhone to be released.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I saw just a few pics of the iPhone demo. Was the display on the wall a video of the device or was it Jobs actually using the device live? Did he make and calls of show the phone web surfing etc?
He was using the device live.

He made calls, received calls, conferenced a call, checked voicemail.

The iPhone was connected up to a the video projector. It wasn't a simulation, all live.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I watched Nightline that evening and a reporter commented that he was allowed to use the device for about 10 minutes, during which he was highly impressed.

tomvb2000

Dec 17, 2003
Visit site

Remember he owns Pixar, he could have made this film in the studio without actually using the device.

Apple usually does not announce devices unless they become for sale the day of the announcement.

Reason I go there is why wasn't anyone allowed to touch the device? This could all be a tactic to get people to stop buying other devices like Treos and Bberries now and wait for this iPhone to be released.

Rumour I heard was that it was a very carefully controlled demo. IOW, there was nothing behind any icons he didn't use. This isn't to say it won't be fully functional by launch. Rather, the build he used was probably locked down a month ago and thoroughly tested to make sure the demo worked while dev continued on a different code stream.