ok, so I want one of these just like many of you.
    ...but I still have about 1 yr left on my Verizon Wireless Treo 700w...

just saw this Engadget article:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/12/v...f-their-contr/

I read it and am not exactly sure what they are talking about to get out of the VZW contract...do you need to already have signed up with Text messaging to do this? What if I have the 2000 free SMS?

any comments on this, or am I reading this totally wrong? thx
    01-12-2007 11:20 PM
    If you don't have a text messaging plan, you can get out of your contract since the increase in text message pricing is a "material change" to your contract, which you did not agree to when you first signed the contract. If you already have a text messaging plan, then I don't think they'll let you out without an ETF.
    01-12-2007 11:44 PM
    Thanks Trevante-

What is ETF?
    EDIT: (nevermind...early term fee..got it)

I have the "2000 Free SMS" added on to my Treo 700w. I didn't purchase this, I just requested it and they gave it to me. Do you think this applies as a "text messaging plan", since it was added on for free?
    01-12-2007 11:48 PM
    Doesn't matter if you're paying for it or not, if you have an SMS plan, you're not paying the new $.15 rate for text messaging (because you have a text messaging plan), therefore, the price hike doesn't apply to you, and it's highly unlikely you'd be able to get out of your contract because of it.
    01-13-2007 10:45 AM
    That's not necessarily true: If plasmo had free SMS. Period. That would be one thing. But plasmo has 2000 free SMS. That means SMS # 2001 would be affected by the rate hike. It would cost him $0.15, not the prior, lower rate. So too with anyone who has a finite number of SMS included in their plan, I'd think. Should be enough to break free.

Doesn't matter if you're paying for it or not, if you have an SMS plan, you're not paying the new $.15 rate for text messaging (because you have a text messaging plan), therefore, the price hike doesn't apply to you, and it's highly unlikely you'd be able to get out of your contract because of it.
    01-14-2007 03:58 AM
    That's not necessarily true: If plasmo had free SMS. Period. That would be one thing. But plasmo has 2000 free SMS. That means SMS # 2001 would be affected by the rate hike. It would cost him $0.15, not the prior, lower rate. So too with anyone who has a finite number of SMS included in their plan, I'd think. Should be enough to break free.
    That does sound logical.
    01-14-2007 08:17 AM
    I know people on Sprint went through this sometime last year...i wonder if they can share some insight. I too am trying to get out of my verizon contract....not sure whether to go to sprint and the sero plan or att and the iphone.
    01-14-2007 12:53 PM
    Given that Apple hasn't even submitted for FCC approval yet, carrier testing hasn't begun, and Apple's never made a phone before, it could be close to a year before you can even buy one.
    01-14-2007 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD