Here is a Faq that David Pogue from the NY times put together after having hands on time with the device and talking to Steve Jobs. Wow the luster is coming off the iPhone alittle for me now. Highlights..

1. will not sync with outlook at all (OH NOOOOO)
    2. no iChat support at all
    3. no voice dialing
    4. no flash or java support in browser (WHY?)
    5. Cant open word or excel docs.
    6. Unit must be sent in to Apple to replace battery
    7. No third party apps

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...ked-questions/
    01-12-2007 12:50 PM
    ick.. I guess this phone wont work too well for me in the business world, BUT! I'll still pick one up for fun.

I am crossing my FINGERS they release a 750p or an 800p or something with a "p" in it.
    01-12-2007 12:58 PM
    6. Unit must be sent in to Apple to replace battery
    7. No third party apps
    This is consistent with my iPod device. After spending over $300 on an iPod, spend another $100 to replace battery after 1 year.

Consistency is key.
    01-12-2007 01:21 PM
    Yep, now that the clock has struck midnight, the Iphone has turned into pumpkin. It is not a smartphone, but a seriously cool looking music phone. I still might be on board for ver. 2 if Apple releases a 3G phone, though.
    01-12-2007 01:25 PM
    Why they left iChat out its beyond me. This device was practically made for an app like that. So I guess I wont be able to use IM from my $600 device because apple feels I dont need it.
    01-12-2007 01:25 PM
    Despite the lack of those features, users of this device will be happy and satisfied. Jobs is focusing on what Palm has not delivered - control and stability and he is staying consistent with the process established with iPod.

And iPod-like sites will come up and be full of third party fixit stuff to allow what normally be dependent on Apple alone.
    01-12-2007 01:38 PM
    Here is a Faq that David Pogue from the NY times put together after having hands on time with the device and talking to Steve Jobs. Wow the luster is coming off the iPhone alittle for me now. Highlights..

1. will not sync with outlook at all (OH NOOOOO)
    Really, who cares. What some may care about though is that it will work with MS Exchange. Did you miss this part in the keynote?

2. no iChat support at all
    You probably would haven't yet read News Week's interview of Steve Jobs yet so you might not be aware of this blurb:

"... Jobs hints that Cingular may offer different billing plans for iPhone, though for now he isnt saying for sure. In any case, Jobs said, 'Theres no reason we couldnt have iChat on here."

3. no voice dialing
    I personally have never used this feature and certainly won't be with the iPhone. I suspect nobody will becasue they will be to enthralled with the incredible scrolling and flicking capabilities provided for dialing and such.

4. no flash or java support in browser (WHY?)
    Well to clarifiy, it does use "Javascript", but no Flash capabilities. That does stink! It will probably be added though.

5. Cant open word or excel docs.
    Again, back to that News Week article by Steven Levy interviewing Steve Jobs:

"Jobs says we can expect more apps on the phone by the time it ships in June. (For instance, one might expect the iPhone to allow users to view Word documents, something that the prototype doesnt do today)"

6. Unit must be sent in to Apple to replace battery.
    Or any Apple Store will do it within the hour if you drop buy. I think you can even use Concierge to schedule. Or buy those DIY kits.
    7. No third party apps
    We shall see.
    01-12-2007 02:42 PM
    And iPod-like sites will come up and be full of third party fixit stuff to allow what normally be dependent on Apple alone.
    Spoken like a true Palm fanatic.

"Full of third-party fixit stuff"... HA!
    01-12-2007 02:44 PM
    I think it's entertaining to see all these posts about all the stuff they already "hate" about this device, even though the very few in circulation are only prototypes. I'm glad I'm open minded enough to see this product for what it IS - a consumer oriented smart (ish?) phone that does stuff in a different way than Palm or HTC or Sony or Moto or etc.

Even Jobs suggested that the "iPhone" may have some different features by the time it hits shelves - they have 5 months to further it's development, after all.
    01-12-2007 03:10 PM
    I think it's entertaining to see all these posts about all the stuff they already "hate" about this device, even though the very few in circulation are only prototypes.
    Can't the same be said for all the people who already "love" the device and who are trumpeting the demise of every other phone out there?
    01-12-2007 03:16 PM

I personally have never used this feature and certainly won't be with the iPhone. I suspect nobody will becasue they will be to enthralled with the incredible scrolling and flicking capabilities provided for dialing and such.
    Just to dial a phone number? I couldn't disagree more.

"Enthralled" is something that will last a few days with ANY device. Luster fades fast, ease-of-use does not.
    01-12-2007 03:48 PM

HA! An Applelogist!!!

I guess being an iPod owner does not matter.
    01-12-2007 04:01 PM
    Really, who cares. What some may care about though is that it will work with MS Exchange. Did you miss this part in the keynote?
    Well, I care, and all the other people that want to buy the phone and sync with Outlook Im sure will. Please point out where in the Keynote he said "Exchange Synchronization". I will watch the keynote again, but I dont remember seeing it or hearing about it.

You probably would haven't yet read News Week's interview of Steve Jobs yet so you might not be aware of this blurb:

"... Jobs hints that Cingular may offer different billing plans for iPhone, though for now he isnt saying for sure. In any case, Jobs said, 'Theres no reason we couldnt have iChat on here."

Thats far from saying it will be there.

Then this phone must have been developed specifically for you, because I like voice dialing, and lots of free phones will offer this capability.
    01-12-2007 04:20 PM
    Well, I care, and all the other people that want to buy the phone and sync with Outlook Im sure will. Please point out where in the Keynote he said "Exchange Synchronization". I will watch the keynote again, but I dont remember seeing it or hearing about it.
    probably via imap or pop3 if available on the exchange server.
    01-12-2007 09:16 PM

You can get you e-mail via exchange IMAP. No tasks, no meeting invites, no calender, no contacts.

So they left iChat out for no reason? I thought this was OsX?!?!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobileman
    3. no voice dialing

This will work REALLY well in a car, wont it. No tactile keyboard, you have to look at the screen and flick through your contacts, no voice dial, PERFECT!

Well to clarifiy, it does use "Javascript", but no Flash capabilities. That does stink! It will probably be added though.

No not really the full web, is it then? No Youtube for sure. So what makes this browser better than Opera or Netfront? Flicking though the pages?

Again, back to that News Week article by Steven Levy interviewing Steve Jobs:

"Jobs says we can expect more apps on the phone by the time it ships in June. (For instance, one might expect the iPhone to allow users to view Word documents, something that the prototype doesnt do today)"

The reporter, or Jobs expect Word viewers? We all expected it, and were disappointed. Steve will give you what HE wants, not what you want.
    If the Iphone isn't a smartphone (as Steve was positioning it) maybe we should compare it to the better feature phones around. Only 2 Megapixel camera when Nokia does between 3.2 and 5. The Iphone cant even do video, and doesnt have autofocus. And guess what, the Nokia can do third party apps also. 320x480 screen, when others do VGA. Itunes, but no digital TV tuners, as are becoming more common now? 4-8 GB flash, when Samsung has done 8 GB for a while now.

IPhone has the Ipod going for it, and some flashy demos. Thats all.

Surur
    01-12-2007 09:47 PM
    IMHO Apple has rarely innovated in the hardware near as much as they do in the "user experience" - that overall blend of features and functions which make the device a natural extension of what the user wants to do.

The result is that they make the UI so natural that typically little training is needed. The opposite is the purely spec-driven products which can do amazing things but at the cost of stability, consistency, and natural feel.

The iPod was certainly not the first multi-GB MP3 player either (I had the 5GB Archos Jukebox for 3 years before it). What made it wildly successful was the looks, footprint, natural ease-of-use and more importantly, iTunes. The whole package made it easy for the non-tech folks out there.

And that, I think, is the point. The iPhone was not designed or marketed for us techno-geeks or the pure business-oriented types who need email but don't realize their device can do web browsing. Rather, it's marketed as a mass consumer device to the non-tech folks who just use it out of the box and never add 3rd party apps (unless of course, their tech-savvy Significant Other does it for them).

Will it be successful? Most likely although I think it's priced pretty high for the consumer crowd. No doubt they had to avoid cannibilizing iPod sales - probably why Cingular can't provide subsidies either.

In the end, I think it will provide more competition in the high-end multifunction converged device category but mainly serve to expand and segment the market rather than drive any of the existing players out. Of course, if existing players don't continue to innovate as well, the process of natural selection will determine their fate.
    01-13-2007 12:29 AM
    The third party stuff is frankly not fix-it stuff. The datebook that comes with Palm is an excellent program - it does exactly what it is suppose to. However, there are those of us who want more - not to fix it, we just need more.

The dialer works fine, I just want more. Memos does fine, I just want more.

Very few people stick with only the default applications. We also have a desire to play games, listen to music, et cetera. And the great thing is that there is always a developer out there with a different approach to the same problem and that means continued development.

So hang the trash about fix-it.

Ben

01-13-2007 02:39 AM
    The third party stuff is frankly not fix-it stuff. The datebook that comes with Palm is an excellent program - it does exactly what it is suppose to. However, there are those of us who want more - not to fix it, we just need more.

Very few people stick with only the default applications. We also have a desire to play games, listen to music, et cetera. And the great thing is that there is always a developer out there with a different approach to the same problem and that means continued development.

Ben
    correct mate...though ppl slag it Windows isn't ALL THAT unstable..it's when you add software it starts to choke lol! Despite the probs I LIKE having control over my devices..even if it is to crash 'em!
    01-13-2007 03:37 PM
    If the Iphone isn't a smartphone (as Steve was positioning it) maybe we should compare it to the better feature phones around. Only 2 Megapixel camera when Nokia does between 3.2 and 5. The Iphone cant even do video, and doesnt have autofocus. And guess what, the Nokia can do third party apps also. 320x480 screen, when others do VGA. Itunes, but no digital TV tuners, as are becoming more common now? 4-8 GB flash, when Samsung has done 8 GB for a while now.

IPhone has the Ipod going for it, and some flashy demos. Thats all.

Surur
    I find it amusing that you need to point to seperate phones for each of those features you reference.
    01-13-2007 04:01 PM

Ben
    If you reread my post, you will find that I wasn't the one who said that. I was quoting the TreoCentral admin and disagreeing with his choice of words that described the third-party stuff that supports the iPod and iPhone as "fix-it stuff". How inappropriately condescending the admin are around here towards me never ceases!
    01-13-2007 04:06 PM
    Ok, my mistake and I apologize. When I first started playing with Treos, I had problems. My 650 was a problem from the get-go until I worked out the NVFS problems. My 700p gave me one day of total fits when I first go it (set it up from my 650's backup). Once the bugs problems got worked out, it has been a very stable device. Once in a while a lag, I live with it. Once in a while the clearing of the db cache (flushing) results in a file getting lost (hence On Guard Backup). I do not suffer problems of reliability because of the effort in setting it up I put forth. As for playing with new apps, I also do that, but I almost always backup before playing.

Ben
    01-14-2007 01:32 PM
    If you reread my post, you will find that I wasn't the one who said that. I was quoting the TreoCentral admin and disagreeing with his choice of words that described the third-party stuff that supports the iPod and iPhone as "fix-it stuff". How inappropriately condescending the admin are around here towards me never ceases!
    The sites I am pointing out are ipod focus sites like the ipodlounge and ipodhacks and you called me out as a palm fanatic as if the sites do not exist.

They offer good and less costly solutions other than what Apple would rather you have as an only choice.
    01-14-2007 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD