iPhone put Palm in a great position

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
My wife's new 5.5 G Ipod crashed and I had to hold down two buttons to reset it. In fact, isn't the reset procedure on the plastic cover? Having it happen within days of owning it suggests its quite common.

Surur

CGK#IM

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
I don't think I've had a treo that's not reset within an day of having it - so what you are saying is that it's likely to be twice as reliable. ;)

I think when you get down to it - none of those "smart" type device have ever been that reliable (well except for my e61 which has been rock-solid from day 1).

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
This is the first time Palm has been forced to innovate in a LONG time. I firmly believe we'd still have a 160x160 screen on all Palms if it wasn't for Sony pushing the envelope many years ago. When Sony left POS, they took almost all innovation with them. Palm had no reason to innovate.

Either way, this is good for the consumer. I've been looking for the Treo killer for years. This isn't it, but I think it may inspire one.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
My wife's new 5.5 G Ipod crashed and I had to hold down two buttons to reset it. In fact, isn't the reset procedure on the plastic cover? Having it happen within days of owning it suggests its quite common.

Surur

I had one Nano reset to the factory page(I didn't understand that). I think the screen blanked out on another but worked again after I plugged it in. But I never had a problem on the hard drive player.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
(well except for my e61 which has been rock-solid from day 1).
Mine too. Apps have crashed (closed without being told too, one hung and couldn't be closed) but never the device itself. Four months without crashing is pretty good in my opinion. The only other computers I've had with similar stability have run OS X, which might bode well for iPhone if it has similar memory protection.

CGK#IM

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
In some respects I have been a bit disappointed with the lack of 3rd party apps but the trade-off was worth it - the amount of times that my 650 would lock during calls or during dialing.

After having the e61 for a bit (which pardoxically gets far more use than my treo 650 loaded with apps ever did), I've come to the conclusion that I don't require a PDA with a phone stuck on it (treo) but a Phone that has some PIM* function - which is what the e61 is.

* compared to the Palm PIM or 3rd party apps like Agendus or Datebk5 - the symbian PIM is seriously weak but I've got used to it.

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
I guess if you are a heavy email user, you will not like the virtual keyboard.
I know I would hate it ...

This kind of comment reminds me of how people screamed at how stupid Apple was to drop the floppy drive in all of their computers when the first iMacs came out and towers went floppy-less.

I imagine that we'll all be wondering what the heck we were thinking when we were saying that hard-button keyboards were the only way to go...

For the record, I'm highly skeptical of what the on-screen keyboard will be like compared to the Treo's, but I'm not so closed-minded to think that it couldn't be better and, as Apple is famous for, the first example of the future of the phone-keyboard interfaces.

I'm picturing the proximity sensor acting in the way that Apple's dock does when you have the magnify setting on. Sensing where your fingertip is and enlarging the key/keys near where you are so that the functional size of the keys is much larger than the on-screen size when you don't have a finger hovering.

I could see this working very well IF the proximity sensor dealio works well and lasts as long as the phone.

holvoetn

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
I had no issue with the floppy being removed, it could not have been done sooner. Actually I still carried one for 2 years in my laptop without ever using it (some Compaq thing).

On my current laptop I have a CD/DVD combo, also that may be taken out if I had something to say about it (never use CD/DVD unless home, so I can just as well make a network connection to my desktop computer).

I see your point though, and I think I was very clear this was a personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to have one.

Luckily we all are quite different in our needs and wants, it would be a dull place otherwise (and we would not be having this discussion either ;) )

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
Yeah, sorry, nothing against you specifically, your post just clarified something that was bothering me about the knocks on the on-screen keyboard.

I was thinking that Apple was one generation too early in the floppy removal back then. I wasn't screaming by any means, but I was skeptical.

I've said in other posts that the way that the keyboard works will make or break this phone for those of us that are at the high-end of the target market (prosumers, if I had to put a label on it).

Having used Macs for so long and a Treo touchscreen, I feel like I have a good guess what the user experience will be like, at least 80% of it, but the one thing I want to play with in person is the keyboard :)

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
In some respects I have been a bit disappointed with the lack of 3rd party apps but the trade-off was worth it - the amount of times that my 650 would lock during calls or during dialing.

After having the e61 for a bit (which pardoxically gets far more use than my treo 650 loaded with apps ever did), I've come to the conclusion that I don't require a PDA with a phone stuck on it (treo) but a Phone that has some PIM* function - which is what the e61 is.

* compared to the Palm PIM or 3rd party apps like Agendus or Datebk5 - the symbian PIM is seriously weak but I've got used to it.

Right on !!
E 61, made me realize , i need a solid phone first and PDA functions are secondary and if needed, i will sacrifice the later.
Great battery life , awesome sound quality ,rock solid . A tad slow UI , but reflexes have adapted. My T650 is gathering dust for last 6 months.
I am looking forward to iphone.

CGK#IM

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
The thing with the slow UI is that you don't actually need to close any programs - it takes a bit of getting used to if you are an ex-palm user.