WSJ's Mossberg's Review of iPhone, BlackJack & Treo 750

ghileman

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
BlackJack Beats Out
Palm 750, but iPhone
May Well Top Both
January 11, 2007; Page B1

When Apple rocked the cellphone world Tuesday by unveiling its radical and gorgeous new iPhone, it was bad news for Palm Inc., whose Treo smart phones will be severely challenged by the new iPhone when it goes on sale in June.

I attended the iPhone launch event, and was able to use one for a little while. That's too brief an encounter to allow me to write a proper review. But I can say that it has the largest and most beautiful screen I've ever seen on a cellphone, even though it's incredibly thin. It felt great in my hand. It has a brilliant new user interface; the handsomest email program and Web browser I've ever seen on a phone; a full-blown iPod music and video player built in; and even a cool new voicemail system.
http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html (for the next week)
<snip - kr>
Email me at mossberg@wsj.com3.

globetrotter

Feb 21, 2005
Visit site

Assuming that there is another Treo. I wouldn't bet that Palm will be around that long. In my mind, neither the 750 nor 680 is as good today as the 600 and 650 were in their times. I think that Palm has lost its edge. Consumers will prefer the cheaper, smaller models like the Dash or Blackjack and business people prefer Blackberrys. Where Palm's market? Even I who has purchased about 30 Palm products since 1996 am about to give up. BT in both Treos is so bad that it makes them unusable as a phone for me. Without the phone part of the Treo, I might as well use a Blackberry.

ksoliz

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
What the hell does that Mossberg guy know anyway...

He didn't even mention the biggest problem with the blackjack, the battery life is awful. Why do you think they ship the thing with two batteries. He also neglected to mention that there is no headphone stereo jack on the blackjack. Your only options are a Bluetooth headset or stereo Bluetooth headset.

Don't even get me started with the Apple iphone... No 3rd party app support, no 3G broadband, no UTMS radio, not a real smartphone with Enterprise email sync/push support? Please... next!

I just don't get how people compare these devices with each other, they are meant for completely different markets. While this is part of the overall problem with these devices it?s just the way it is right now.

The new treo 750 WM5 is arguably the best packaged most usable device out there... Granted there are several cons and head stratchers for the device... the low res screen, 1.3 camera, Bluetooth 1.2, and I think miniSD with that cover/door was a bad idea. But what the phone offers more then makes up for that stuff... For one the phone has 7 radios! GSM, 850, 900, 1800, 1900 UTMS 850, 1900, 2100 talk about ultimate coverage. The form factor, hands down the best form factor out there. Palm tweaks to WM5, this is huge and makes a big difference on usability when comparing other WM5 devices. There are many more...

It just annoys me seeing misleading and uninformed reviews from folks like that in the media who are considered "the most informed".

gadgetluva

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
If you read his articles, Mossberg just LOVES Apple products and Palm OS devices, and abhors microsoft, and he likes to make that clear constantly. I like to read his articles to laugh at his bias that is so incredible it just sounds rediculous.

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
straight jab, followed by a powerful uppercut and DOWN...GOES....PALM...

(referee begins the eight-count as palm looks for its mouthpiece)

Michael Buffer on cue...

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Yes, but if you consider his bias (which I share), it's pretty telling that he picked the Blackjack over the 750v. I was very surprised to see that.

Silver5

May 2, 2004
Visit site
So, this reviewer basically loves Palm, does't like the Windows Mobile devices that even Palm has decided are better, and recommends a phone he knows little about over both?! Hmm...

I like the iPhone too, but this seems a little absurd, since no one really knows if it works yet. How about a real review of the Blackjack and 750? The Blackjack was a real eye opener for me. A really great phone in almost every way. I have not used the Treo so I cannot pass judgment but I am really impressed with the Smartphone OS getting quite good now. This Mossberg guy is not doing a great job at reviewing these phones...I'm not sure why he is getting so much attention here...

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
So, this reviewer basically loves Palm, does't like the Windows Mobile devices that even Palm has decided are better, and recommends a phone he knows little about over both?! Hmm...

mossberg suggested that he liked the blackjack more than the treo, but said if you are looking to buy a phone for $500, that you might wait for the iPhone.

Of these two phones, I prefer the BlackJack. But if you're in the market for a smart phone and can afford $499, you might want to wait until June for the Apple iPhone. The Apple entry is so full of promise that anyone buying a smart phone in 2007 should at least wait for the full reviews and a chance to try it out.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
There will be a Treo "900P"

Palm/Linux OS

Late 2007 or very early 2008

That's the given.

Whether it has features and processes sufficient to get Palm back to the front is the question. Is Palm dead? The answer will be determined by this device.

Cheers, Perry.
I'm curious why you think Palm/Linus OS. It seems like they've forgotten the POS faithfuls and have focused on WM Treos. Do you have inside-sources or a strong gut feeling?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
mossberg is a joke. i'm still trying to find someone to tell me what it is that makes him some sort of an authority. many of us here put our devices through a much more strenuous workload than old Walt.

he's a gimmick employed by the WSJ. nothing more, nothing less. just another opinion that gets to state his on newsprint.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2