Archie's 1 BIG "Dislike" of the iPhone and 15 "Likes"

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
The iPhone will need atleast these features to make me consider buying one

1. A way to get my corporate email. Right now that either means blackberry or Exchange direct push compatibility.

2. An IM program. Even if I need to pay extra, I have to have it.

Anything extra (like 3rd party apps) would be great, but I need my phone to do these two things. If it does, I will definately consider getting one. If not, I wont.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I could not be more impressed at what I have seen of the iPhone so far, BUT, among the FEW things that make me feel uncomfortable is that it will have to do everything through iTunes. iTunes takes quite a long time to load on my 512 meg XP machine and it consumes quite a bit of resources. Having to load it everytime one wants to connect seems like it's going to become tedious after a while, no? I hope someone (Apple or some "approved" third party) comes up with a leaner program for basic jobs.

iTunes - a true evil...just like windows media player 8-10 actually! I use opensource players and music management software whenever possible!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
the last sentence of that story is kind of funny too...to quote the writer:

"Tell it like it is, Steve. Or like you think it possibly might be."

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
My new list of dislikes include no Flash support. This is disturbing because a lot of the stuff I do is Flash based, so it hits me particularly hard.

There will probably be more once the phone is released and I recognize what it is that is missing. I'll think about more in the mean time.
I've read that Apple will be creating and including their own drivers/plug-ins for Safari. I'm sure they're working on Flash as we speak.

Also, I read that we will see 3rd party apps that go through Apple review and meet their quality control standards, which isn't a bad idea. I know I'll want stability on my iPhone ;) such a novelty.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I could not be more impressed at what I have seen of the iPhone so far, BUT, among the FEW things that make me feel uncomfortable is that it will have to do everything through iTunes. iTunes takes quite a long time to load on my 512 meg XP machine and it consumes quite a bit of resources. Having to load it everytime one wants to connect seems like it's going to become tedious after a while, no? I hope someone (Apple or some "approved" third party) comes up with a leaner program for basic jobs.

Honestly, while I agree it consumes too much CPU, 512 is obsolete. I have to update my laptop myself! 512 is almost useless with today's heavy apps!

Try WinAmp, I think it's lighter. One problem, you may have to correct some of the tags it enters on ripped tracks. Another problem, if you listen to foreign CDs, it doesn't do unicode.

KRamsauer

Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
I don't use a whole lot on my PC, but I think it has 512 of RAM, and it runs flawlessly as a dual tuner HTPC in addition to being my main PC (mainly web browsing, music and Microsoft Money).

copernicus

Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
Never Enough

I don't use a whole lot on my PC, but I think it has 512 of RAM, and it runs flawlessly as a dual tuner HTPC in addition to being my main PC (mainly web browsing, music and Microsoft Money).
When I mentioned that I wanted to upgrade to 1 Gig yesterday to a friend, he laughed and said 1Gig is totally inadequate, I would be wise to get at least 2 Gig. :D

Depends on how much memory is going for these days I guess.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Ive got 2.5 GB, with no swap file, and its brilliant for multi-tabbed browsing. No longer will you have any lag when going back to pages not opened recently, due to them being swapped out to HDD. You can also easily resize the whole browser window without it having to load each page back into memory again.

Memory is relatively cheap (though I had to pay about $300 for 2 GB of it) but its well worth it for the improvement in experience. It will also make your computer quieter by allowing your HDD to spin down.

Surur

copernicus

Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
Ive got 2.5 GB, with no swap file, and its brilliant for multi-tabbed browsing. No longer will you have any lag when going back to pages not opened recently, due to them being swapped out to HDD. You can also easily resize the whole browser window without it having to load each page back into memory again.

Memory is relatively cheap (though I had to pay about $300 for 2 GB of it) but its well worth it for the improvement in experience. It will also make your computer quieter by allowing your HDD to spin down.

Surur
Appreciate the comments Surer.

KRamsauer

Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
I remember a few years ago I bought $100 of ram for my parent's PC to up it from 128 to 372 or something like that. Instantly made them feel like it was a new PC and I was a hero. Combined with some vigilant spyware monitoring, they're still using it.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site

If you don't use a lot, only then is 512 adequate...
But what if you used Photoshop, an FTP program, Dreamweaver, watched videos and listened to online music? Plus synced your music to your MP3 Player. Burn and ripped CDs. Updated your phone's software. Ran anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall. Went to a lot of websites that seem to have Flash. Etc, etc. etc. Everything is draining resources. That's why all new computers have at least 1GB and now 2 seems it will be the new minimum soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2