Archie's 1 BIG "Dislike" of the iPhone and 15 "Likes"

copernicus

Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
I still think the big stinker here will be battery life, but we'll see. A smallish battery, fast processor, and a hankering to browse or listen to music or get your mail pushed to you = less than a day of use for semi-power users and up.

I specifically asked about this at Macworld today and was told that "so far" the only "official" numbers were 5 hours using all functions combined and 16 hours listening to music alone. There were no numbers for WiFi alone or anything else that Apple cared to divulge. With the fast high resolution graphics the device is capable of, I also believe that the first incarnation will almost definitely be accompanied by frustrations with battery life.

copernicus

Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
But I would never browse the NY Times on any mobile device b/c it looks dumb! You're going to zoom and pan all over the place to read part of an article? Blah.
I noticed in the demo of the iPhone that after panning to a NYT article and using the pinching fingers technique, the article did not fill the page evenly, there seemed to be large spaces between the lines and it seemed a bit awkward to get the text into an easily readable postion on the screen. It sort of went by me very quickly so this was just my impression. Of course, the ability to do this will almost certainly have practical uses and the device could also be directed to the mobile page.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
No kidding. It seems these forums seem to attract people who just want to slam anything not windows mobile based.

or conversely speaking, these forums (treocentral) seem to attract people who want to slam any person with negative comments regarding anything Palm and Treo. that's how i see it.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I still think the big stinker here will be battery life, but we'll see. A smallish battery, fast processor, and a hankering to browse or listen to music or get your mail pushed to you = less than a day of use for semi-power users and up.

Something to think about: These non power-users who Apple is aiming at (i.e. the consumer market); are they used to charging their phones every night? If they really take advantage of this phone, they will have to. Or will they then stop using those features and keep it as a phone so it will be usable for a few days...

Marc

p.s. I still want one (for looking at)

Many people charge their phones every night. Also if you had an iPod, this isn't so unusual, LOL!

I think they should look at the battery thing seriously too though. They still have time to make corrections.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
or conversely speaking, these forums (treocentral) seem to attract people who want to slam any person with negative comments regarding anything Palm and Treo. that's how i see it.
This is funny.

Your in a place called "Treocentral" where what, 98% of us actually own a Treo and you act surprised (claim victim?) when 63+ threads appear for a non-Treo device that is not out yet and a handful of people here are skeptical of it's supposed "amazingness"

Technically, the iPhone has nothing to do with Treo's, yet here were are discussing them.

And what "slamming"? Far as I can tell almost everyone agrees

1) it's very nice looking and the engineering is fantastic
2) Apple will have huge hit on their hands
3) this will cause other companies to come out with more wild devices
phone for

But this isn't good enough for you since we're not all wowed and ready to jump ship to the all mighty Apple. I don't think questioning the orthodoxy of Apple though is slamming the device but it seems you cannot critique anything Apple without being accused of slamming or hating. :rolleyes:

And bcaslis, you obviously don't visit the other forums to believe no one attacks Windows Mobile. Till this day in the PalmOS forums it is heavily (and angrily) debated. I'd say the PalmOS users have been the biggest opponent of WM5 period. This is frankly laughable and shows how little you pay attention around here.

But keep playing victim at Treocentral discussing your iPhone.

KRamsauer

Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
Many people charge their phones every night. Also if you had an iPod, this isn't so unusual, LOL!

I think they should look at the battery thing seriously too though. They still have time to make corrections.

I think it's a bigger issue then they think. Many people charge their phones every night, but they aren't using it to play music and watch videos either. Watching a video on a plane may kill your phone. No like. With my treo when I do that (often) I just pop in a new battery and go on my way. Think back to the Treo 2xx, 3xx and 600: the lack of a removable battery was a big deal.

Anyway, I hope they get it right. More competition means better phones for all!

stroths

Apr 16, 2006
Visit site
They'll probably sell you one of those crappy adapters that you carry around and fill with AA batteries. Maybe they will make an iBelt. It is a belt like gun slingers carried in the old west, except its white and full of batteries. You just plug your phone in and you are good to go :)

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
They'll probably sell you one of those crappy adapters that you carry around and fill with AA batteries. Maybe they will make an iBelt. It is a belt like gun slingers carried in the old west, except its white and full of batteries. You just plug your phone in and you are good to go :)

phone250x195.jpg

Good going Apple :)

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
Anyway, I hope they get it right. More competition means better phones for all!

bingo! I don't really care if the iPhone ends up being the best all-in-one phone out there, but I want to see the one that beats it! :D

On the battery thing... somewhere in my surfing I saw mention of the use of two batteries, with one dedicated to the phone side. I am skeptical, but did anyone else read this? I've been too many places since the keynote to remember where it was. It would certainly solve the issue of kiling the battery with videos and music.

It also would go a long way to explaining why they don't have removable batteries.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
I didn't get all these posts visiting just this forum. I'm well aware that the Palm OS forums slam WM5, and the 700w forum (especially) slams anything Palm OS. Keep your personal attacks to yourself.

And bcaslis, you obviously don't visit the other forums to believe no one attacks Windows Mobile. Till this day in the PalmOS forums it is heavily (and angrily) debated. I'd say the PalmOS users have been the biggest opponent of WM5 period. This is frankly laughable and shows how little you pay attention around here.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I didn't get all these posts visiting just this forum. I'm well aware that the Palm OS forums slam WM5, and the 700w forum (especially) slams anything Palm OS. Keep your personal attacks to yourself.
Then why would you say this:
No kidding. It seems these forums seem to attract people who just want to slam anything not windows mobile based.

You can attack the veracity and willingness to debate of TC's members but we cannot defend ourselves?

(And if I address your post specifically it is ipso facto personal. I did not use any ad hominem attacks but did question your adherence to what actually happens at TC and you play it off)

Either way this veering way off topic and I'm finished discussing it.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
This is funny.

Your in a place called "Treocentral" where what, 98% of us actually own a Treo and you act surprised (claim victim?) when 63+ threads appear for a non-Treo device that is not out yet and a handful of people here are skeptical of it's supposed "amazingness"

Technically, the iPhone has nothing to do with Treo's, yet here were are discussing them.

And what "slamming"? Far as I can tell almost everyone agrees

1) it's very nice looking and the engineering is fantastic
2) Apple will have huge hit on their hands
3) this will cause other companies to come out with more wild devices
phone for

But this isn't good enough for you since we're not all wowed and ready to jump ship to the all mighty Apple. I don't think questioning the orthodoxy of Apple though is slamming the device but it seems you cannot critique anything Apple without being accused of slamming or hating. :rolleyes:

you are too much. i too own a treo, matter of fact, have owned just about every iteration of one. i'm saying that most around this place are grossly over-defensive when it comes to their "babies." "slamming" is in referral to anyone who has something negative to say about anything non-palm/treo. settle down, relax....enjoy your phone and let those enjoy what might be in the technological pipeline. afterall, it is out (perhaps not the final version) if it has been reviewed and tested, so i think it's absolutely fair to comment on it.

have a nice day

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site

Well, if Treo owners, like myself, wish to discuss other options because we haven't had a quality POS release in a long while, this would be the place.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Well, if Treo owners, like myself, wish to discuss other options because we haven't had a quality POS release in a long while, this would be the place.

Palm is at a crossroad right now. The company (Access) that bought rights to the OS just finished developing the ALP, which has been distributed to companies for testing. Palm re-purchased the rights to the old Palm OS and is going to start building on top of it again. So who knows where palm OS is going right now- some will lean to the new ALP when it comes out, others will stick with the new Palm version. But neither have been seen yet or reviewed, and all you have at YOUR disposal is an old, outdated (in most aspects, realistically) operating system. Will ALP release anytime soon? Who knows.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
bingo! I don't really care if the iPhone ends up being the best all-in-one phone out there, but I want to see the one that beats it! :D

On the battery thing... somewhere in my surfing I saw mention of the use of two batteries, with one dedicated to the phone side. I am skeptical, but did anyone else read this? I've been too many places since the keynote to remember where it was. It would certainly solve the issue of kiling the battery with videos and music.

It also would go a long way to explaining why they don't have removable batteries.

I think everything beats it as far as function. It's like saying a Prius or a PT Cruiser is the best thing out there because of their individualizes styling. Sure a few features as cool , or the styling is cool. But the function sucks.

Other than WiFi and finger pinching (which I am not sure is really a feature) what does it do that isn't being done already? And for that matter being done better already.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
what is not being done already (in treos):

slim form factor
a design that actually has "real appeal"
a device that doesn't need 598 3rd party programs to make the user happy
a modern day operating system
wi-fi

to list a few

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
phone250x195.jpg

Good going Apple :)

:) lol

I'm skeptical that they have a battery that's soo thina nd powerful that they have TWO in that iPhone! Plus everything has stated and pointed to A battery not batteries...sounds kinda unstable anyway having two electrochemical cells in such a small device so I'm not sure it'll be wise for the future either.....

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
you guys are absolutely right; nobody but palm could design and release a phone that has nothing but a day's charge in it.

you're right. palm is evolutionary, they are the best hands down, no comparisons can be made.

but objective comments can be made: palm, you're dumb.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73