Wolf,

I forgot to add in the post above taht I did find two free services but they were only free as a limited 1 month trial. Can you point me to what you were speaking of?
    01-11-2007 10:48 PM
    Wolf, I did some checking and found that this free push email you are speaking of actually requires an application to sit on your phone which checks the yahoo e-mail account. This is not Push IMAP email technology of any sort.

...and I never said Chatter was not an expert. If you check back it was Chatter denouncing me as no expert - never having claimed to be.

Alll I said is that Yahoo was providing free Push IMAP email for iPhone customers and Chatter had to jump in to seemingly knock the iPhone down a few pegs or something to that affect.
    I think you should read

http://www.isode.com/whitepapers/imap-idle.html

"Push IMAP" and IMAP IDLE are one in the same. I am nearly 100% sure this is what the iPhone will use. "Push IMAP" just sounds better than "IMAP IDLE".

It will not be "True Push", for several reasons.

I read the post; you claim the iPhone has "true push...no that "fake stuff".
    You elevated the iPhone, Marc corrected, and then you CAPpered with a Wiki article you didn't understand.
    01-11-2007 11:01 PM
    Tell me how it long it takes to download the NYT on your mobile phone.
    No no...you don't get to do that.

I'll tell you how fast on my mobile phone PLUS my Wifi connection since that is what Steve did: 24 seconds.

Now imagine loading that page over EDGE (I did it in about 38 seconds over EvDO, which blows EDGE out of the water)

But I would never browse the NY Times on any mobile device b/c it looks dumb! You're going to zoom and pan all over the place to read part of an article? Blah.

I use http://mobile.nytimes.com/ which is formatted for my Treo 700wx.

You know how long it takes me over EvDO to zip through each story?

4-7 seconds (depending on if there is a picture or not).

I get the entire story, no zooming or panning, no ads and perfectly legible because it was made for mobile browsing.

Once again, there is a reason we don't use "full browsers" on mobile devices: b/c you have to pan and scan all over, zoom here, format there, download ads. It's a waste and unbearable over 2g.

Then tell me how long it takes to download it on your desktop connection.
    You're kidding, right?

On my 2+ year old PC: 5 seconds flat.

That's not what Steve Jobs said today.
    You're not getting it. Yes, there will be a 3g iPhone but not for at least 1 year. This current iPhone is not upgradable (so it seems) since it only has one radio.

You'll be stuck at 2g with this device while I have a cheaper data/voice plan and 3g now and 4g (Wimax) within 12-14 months.

And you'll never be able to do this on your iPhone v1, which is kind of sad.

By the way, some of us enjoyed the iPhone's layout so much we copied (for free to boot!)

01-11-2007 11:33 PM
    these two posts prove what many have said about you reading but not understanding.
    Wolf, I did .........
    Wolf,

I forgot to add........

Take a look just a bit to the left. You'll see the name is Woof. There is no L. It's in pretty big type too.

Seriously though, what the hell are talking about here?
    Wolf,

I forgot to add in the post above taht I did find two free services but they were only free as a limited 1 month trial. Can you point me to what you were speaking of?
    I said nothing in my posts about trials or free services or anything like that.
    01-12-2007 12:09 AM
    No no...you don't get to do that.

I'll tell you how fast on my mobile phone PLUS my Wifi connection since that is what Steve did: 24 seconds.

Now imagine loading that page over EDGE (I did it in about 38 seconds over EvDO, which blows EDGE out of the water)

But I would never browse the NY Times on any mobile device b/c it looks dumb! You're going to zoom and pan all over the place to read part of an article? Blah.

I use http://mobile.nytimes.com/ which is formatted for my Treo 700wx.

You know how long it takes me over EvDO to zip through each story?

4-7 seconds (depending on if there is a picture or not).

I get the entire story, no zooming or panning, no ads and perfectly legible because it was made for mobile browsing.

Once again, there is a reason we don't use "full browsers" on mobile devices: b/c you have to pan and scan all over, zoom here, format there, download ads. It's a waste and unbearable over 2g.

You're kidding, right?

On my 2+ year old PC: 5 seconds flat.

You're not getting it. Yes, there will be a 3g iPhone but not for at least 1 year. This current iPhone is not upgradable (so it seems) since it only has one radio.

You'll be stuck at 2g with this device while I have a cheaper data/voice plan and 3g now and 4g (Wimax) within 12-14 months.

And you'll never be able to do this on your iPhone v1, which is kind of sad.

By the way, some of us enjoyed the iPhone's layout so much we copied (for free to boot!)

ok Mal I want that!
    01-12-2007 12:09 AM
    ok Mal I want that!
    funny thing is, a lot of the WM5 community groans when they see those pics

but I think it's funny and kind of cool. I'm using the phonealarm skin which looks nice. Apple does have flare and style, that's for sure.

01-12-2007 12:15 AM
    My apologies Woof. It is hard keeping track of all the different people attacking me here. The question was meant for Malatesta.

Malatesta, I had said that I found two free services but they were only free as a limited 1 month trial. I then asked if you could point me to what you were speaking of?

Not a huge deal really. I'm loosing my inclination to post here any more.

Have fun guys.
    01-12-2007 01:29 AM
    No kidding. It seems these forums seem to attract people who just want to slam anything not windows mobile based.
    01-12-2007 01:38 AM
    My apologies Woof. It is hard keeping track of all the different people attacking me here. The question was meant for Malatesta.

Malatesta, I had said that I found two free services but they were only free as a limited 1 month trial. I then asked if you could point me to what you were speaking of?

Not a huge deal really. I'm loosing my inclination to post here any more.

Have fun guys.
    Apology accepted. Asides from the crack about getting my name wrong, I was barely attacking you. I was trying to make the point that when faced with the choice of a wikipedia article and a guy who has lived imap for better than three years, it would be wise to choose the latter. Seems like such a Duh! moment to me. Like taking the word of a book on heart surgery over the surgeon who has been operating on hearts for that last 3 1/2 years.

Also your post on why you think the iphone is so great was bound to draw critics and you know it. Stop whining about attacks. You as much as asked for contradicting opinions.
    Not to mention youre spewing about a device 6 MONTHS away from the street like you have one in your hand. You saw a COMMERCIAL!!! I guess that means the new Suzuki suv is the best ever cause I saw a commercial last nite. Lets wait til June before we get all tight in the shorts huh?

And
    No kidding. It seems these forums seem to attract people who just want to slam anything not windows mobile based.
    Are you flipping kidding? You are trying to turn this into a win vs mac argument? That barely deserves comment.:shake:
    01-12-2007 02:24 AM
    The fact is the IPhone is a very slick device, but deficient in many many ways (3rd party support, text entry, features such as GPS, HSDPA etc) and therefore for most applications, except video and music, and maybe web, the Treo's are actually objectively better right now.
    I'm an Apple "fanboy" but I agree with you in this statement when comparing the FIRST iphone to the (insert generation number here)th Treo.

I want one, but that's because I'm already on Cingular and would keep my Treo.

What's extrordinarily exciting for me though is to look at where the iPod has gone since the first version and take that development model and use it to forecast the iphone's future.

I'd offer that Apple developed (meaning made significant improvement) in the iPod faster than any company has developed a single device in the same timeframe AND MADE PEOPLE WANT THEM. I know people that have had each rev of the iPod (same with Palms, but many more for iPods).

If the iPod's gone from a 5GB music player with a pushbutton interface to a touch-controlled 80GB music/video player, what's the iphone going to be capable of in the same timeframe

Best part is that, unlike with the iPod (amazingly still to this day), there's real, established competitors who will have to try to compete and innovate

That bodes VERY well for smartphones/prosumer/consumer phones in the near future.

Even as a Mac "fanboy", I sure hope Palm is one that keeps up!
    01-12-2007 02:27 AM
    I still think the big stinker here will be battery life, but we'll see. A smallish battery, fast processor, and a hankering to browse or listen to music or get your mail pushed to you = less than a day of use for semi-power users and up.

I specifically asked about this at Macworld today and was told that "so far" the only "official" numbers were 5 hours using all functions combined and 16 hours listening to music alone. There were no numbers for WiFi alone or anything else that Apple cared to divulge. With the fast high resolution graphics the device is capable of, I also believe that the first incarnation will almost definitely be accompanied by frustrations with battery life.
    01-12-2007 03:01 AM
    I noticed in the demo of the iPhone that after panning to a NYT article and using the pinching fingers technique, the article did not fill the page evenly, there seemed to be large spaces between the lines and it seemed a bit awkward to get the text into an easily readable postion on the screen. It sort of went by me very quickly so this was just my impression. Of course, the ability to do this will almost certainly have practical uses and the device could also be directed to the mobile page.
    01-12-2007 03:25 AM
    or conversely speaking, these forums (treocentral) seem to attract people who want to slam any person with negative comments regarding anything Palm and Treo. that's how i see it.
    01-12-2007 07:59 AM
    That's it. It's Treo and Palm, not Windows. Many people don't necessarily like WM on TC either.
    01-12-2007 08:31 AM
    I still think the big stinker here will be battery life, but we'll see. A smallish battery, fast processor, and a hankering to browse or listen to music or get your mail pushed to you = less than a day of use for semi-power users and up.

Something to think about: These non power-users who Apple is aiming at (i.e. the consumer market); are they used to charging their phones every night? If they really take advantage of this phone, they will have to. Or will they then stop using those features and keep it as a phone so it will be usable for a few days...

Marc

p.s. I still want one (for looking at)

Many people charge their phones every night. Also if you had an iPod, this isn't so unusual, LOL!

I think they should look at the battery thing seriously too though. They still have time to make corrections.
    01-12-2007 08:37 AM
    or conversely speaking, these forums (treocentral) seem to attract people who want to slam any person with negative comments regarding anything Palm and Treo. that's how i see it.
    This is funny.

Your in a place called "Treocentral" where what, 98% of us actually own a Treo and you act surprised (claim victim?) when 63+ threads appear for a non-Treo device that is not out yet and a handful of people here are skeptical of it's supposed "amazingness"

Technically, the iPhone has nothing to do with Treo's, yet here were are discussing them.

And what "slamming"? Far as I can tell almost everyone agrees

1) it's very nice looking and the engineering is fantastic
    2) Apple will have huge hit on their hands
    3) this will cause other companies to come out with more wild devices
    phone for

But this isn't good enough for you since we're not all wowed and ready to jump ship to the all mighty Apple. I don't think questioning the orthodoxy of Apple though is slamming the device but it seems you cannot critique anything Apple without being accused of slamming or hating.

And bcaslis, you obviously don't visit the other forums to believe no one attacks Windows Mobile. Till this day in the PalmOS forums it is heavily (and angrily) debated. I'd say the PalmOS users have been the biggest opponent of WM5 period. This is frankly laughable and shows how little you pay attention around here.

But keep playing victim at Treocentral discussing your iPhone.
    01-12-2007 10:13 AM
    Many people charge their phones every night. Also if you had an iPod, this isn't so unusual, LOL!

I think they should look at the battery thing seriously too though. They still have time to make corrections.
    I think it's a bigger issue then they think. Many people charge their phones every night, but they aren't using it to play music and watch videos either. Watching a video on a plane may kill your phone. No like. With my treo when I do that (often) I just pop in a new battery and go on my way. Think back to the Treo 2xx, 3xx and 600: the lack of a removable battery was a big deal.

Anyway, I hope they get it right. More competition means better phones for all!
    01-12-2007 11:31 AM
    They'll probably sell you one of those crappy adapters that you carry around and fill with AA batteries. Maybe they will make an iBelt. It is a belt like gun slingers carried in the old west, except its white and full of batteries. You just plug your phone in and you are good to go
    01-12-2007 11:44 AM
    They'll probably sell you one of those crappy adapters that you carry around and fill with AA batteries. Maybe they will make an iBelt. It is a belt like gun slingers carried in the old west, except its white and full of batteries. You just plug your phone in and you are good to go

Good going Apple
    01-12-2007 12:38 PM
    Anyway, I hope they get it right. More competition means better phones for all!
    bingo! I don't really care if the iPhone ends up being the best all-in-one phone out there, but I want to see the one that beats it!

On the battery thing... somewhere in my surfing I saw mention of the use of two batteries, with one dedicated to the phone side. I am skeptical, but did anyone else read this? I've been too many places since the keynote to remember where it was. It would certainly solve the issue of kiling the battery with videos and music.

It also would go a long way to explaining why they don't have removable batteries.
    01-12-2007 01:02 PM
    I didn't get all these posts visiting just this forum. I'm well aware that the Palm OS forums slam WM5, and the 700w forum (especially) slams anything Palm OS. Keep your personal attacks to yourself.

And bcaslis, you obviously don't visit the other forums to believe no one attacks Windows Mobile. Till this day in the PalmOS forums it is heavily (and angrily) debated. I'd say the PalmOS users have been the biggest opponent of WM5 period. This is frankly laughable and shows how little you pay attention around here.

01-12-2007 01:14 PM
    I didn't get all these posts visiting just this forum. I'm well aware that the Palm OS forums slam WM5, and the 700w forum (especially) slams anything Palm OS. Keep your personal attacks to yourself.
    Then why would you say this:
    You can attack the veracity and willingness to debate of TC's members but we cannot defend ourselves?

(And if I address your post specifically it is ipso facto personal. I did not use any ad hominem attacks but did question your adherence to what actually happens at TC and you play it off)

Either way this veering way off topic and I'm finished discussing it.
    01-12-2007 01:22 PM
    This is funny.

Your in a place called "Treocentral" where what, 98% of us actually own a Treo and you act surprised (claim victim?) when 63+ threads appear for a non-Treo device that is not out yet and a handful of people here are skeptical of it's supposed "amazingness"

Technically, the iPhone has nothing to do with Treo's, yet here were are discussing them.

And what "slamming"? Far as I can tell almost everyone agrees

1) it's very nice looking and the engineering is fantastic
    2) Apple will have huge hit on their hands
    3) this will cause other companies to come out with more wild devices
    phone for

But this isn't good enough for you since we're not all wowed and ready to jump ship to the all mighty Apple. I don't think questioning the orthodoxy of Apple though is slamming the device but it seems you cannot critique anything Apple without being accused of slamming or hating.

you are too much. i too own a treo, matter of fact, have owned just about every iteration of one. i'm saying that most around this place are grossly over-defensive when it comes to their "babies." "slamming" is in referral to anyone who has something negative to say about anything non-palm/treo. settle down, relax....enjoy your phone and let those enjoy what might be in the technological pipeline. afterall, it is out (perhaps not the final version) if it has been reviewed and tested, so i think it's absolutely fair to comment on it.

have a nice day
    01-12-2007 01:26 PM
    Well, if Treo owners, like myself, wish to discuss other options because we haven't had a quality POS release in a long while, this would be the place.
    01-12-2007 05:00 PM
    Well, if Treo owners, like myself, wish to discuss other options because we haven't had a quality POS release in a long while, this would be the place.
    Palm is at a crossroad right now. The company (Access) that bought rights to the OS just finished developing the ALP, which has been distributed to companies for testing. Palm re-purchased the rights to the old Palm OS and is going to start building on top of it again. So who knows where palm OS is going right now- some will lean to the new ALP when it comes out, others will stick with the new Palm version. But neither have been seen yet or reviewed, and all you have at YOUR disposal is an old, outdated (in most aspects, realistically) operating system. Will ALP release anytime soon? Who knows.
    01-12-2007 05:45 PM
115 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD