The World Has Not Ended Thread

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Of course they have widget games! LOL All you have to do is check the Apple site for the hundreds of widget "apps" they have (which include games). Sounds like you're not a Mac person -- and that's no knock on you... It just sounds like you're not familiar with widgets and the Mac OS.

What makes you think those widgets will work with OSX mini that the iPhone runs? Do you know something we dont?

What exactly are you and others doing daily on your Treos that make it more of a "work" phone? What do you need a phone to do? I'm in a small business, and the Treo works fine for me... And I have a bunch of friends who are in big, big corporations, and they tend to use Blackberry's... But, from my knowledge, they rely on their BB's for email, the phone, and scheduling. [And it all has to be something their IT guys can troubleshoot.] So, where might the iPhone fall short for "work?" I haven't heard a compelling argument there yet.

How about syncing with my corporate exchange account with Push activesync. I dont really believe many big companies will like having users load itunes on every desktop.

Andrew-NYC

May 22, 2002
Visit site
While the i-phone (or whatever it ends up being called) looks way cool, there are definitely issues. One of the best things about the Treo is the easiness you can text message/send e-mail. Will this be as easy with "virtual" buttons? Doubtful, but we'll see. Then there's the battery issue. The beauty of the Treo is you can replace or have extra batteries on hand. The i-phone's battery would have to be changed by Apple, meaning you're without your precious phone for a while. Not good. Perhaps the 2nd or 3rd generation will be "the phone", but for now, the Treo still rocks. My 680 has only reset twice, and that was on a search, which it didn't find.

bclinger#IM

Sep 14, 2003
Visit site
I have never purchased a hand held device or a desktop or a laptop that I did not put third party software on to meet my needs. I use WordPerfect, not Word, I use OmniForm, Mozilla Seamonkey, several Adobe products on my desktop and laptops. On my Treo I use DTG, ChatterEmail and other programs because they do more than the default ones.

The standard datebook works fine, though I want more, hence DB6. The standard dialer works fine, though I want more, hence Takephone 6. The ability to integrate functions with applications similar to 2Day add a lot. The memo application allows one to take notes, DTG does so much more. And you know that with a device as narrow as the iPhone is, battery life will be an issue from the get-go.

Very few of us are satisfied with the stock applications. We figure we want an extra function from an application or another way of accomplishing something - there is no perfect device out there. A device that limits access to third party applications is one that may make a user initially happy, but crabby when he realizes that is all he is getting. Buy the device, just do not ***** when you find you cannot get more.

Give the iPhone time, it will do more, but right now, it frankly is not a serious contender for those of us who use our devices in work environments.

Ben

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I don't know what's so hard to understand about the idea that I'd rather my case get dirty, scratched-up, or discolored, than for this to happen to my device.

SURE, it might happen SOMEwhat, with a Treo, but AGAIN, there's a big difference between a phone with a screen and a phone that IS a screen.

I've already explained why, so I'm trying to resist the temptation to be too repetitious.

Thanks for the convo.

bclancy

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
... Cingular ... Who did they get to do this independent survey for least dropped calls? I want to talk to those fools.
Oh, I think I know the answer to that one:

Cingular has the fewest dropped calls because they also have the fewest placed calls.

(On other words: Lets say they have 2M dropped calls out of 10M total, and Verizon has 2.5M dropped calls out of 100M total. Then Cingular is the network sith the fewest dropped calls. Duh!)

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
I disagree. If you ask the phone makers they will tell you that a small percentage of users use third party apps. This forum is not representative.

Secondly, could be that the built-in apps stink? The iPhone has gorgeous versions of the Mac OS X apps. I don't see anything so far on it that I want to replace. I'd be more than happy to trade off some third party apps for first-class built-in apps and better stability.

Very few of us are satisfied with the stock applications. We figure we want an extra function from an application or another way of accomplishing something - there is no perfect device out there. A device that limits access to third party applications is one that may make a user initially happy, but crabby when he realizes that is all he is getting. Buy the device, just do not ***** when you find you cannot get more.

Give the iPhone time, it will do more, but right now, it frankly is not a serious contender for those of us who use our devices in work environments.

Ben

bclancy

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
... I'd be more than happy to trade off some third party apps for first-class built-in apps and better stability.
Mee too (but not without a published API so that I or others could program around the things we don't like). Without the ability to program, it's just a "feautre phone". (A very classy feature phone, but nonetheless, nothing more.) It will be interesting to see how many units will sell at the high $500-$600 "gotta have this sexy thing" before it gets priced about $100 over the ipod.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I disagree. If you ask the phone makers they will tell you that a small percentage of users use third party apps. This forum is not representative.

Secondly, could be that the built-in apps stink? The iPhone has gorgeous versions of the Mac OS X apps. I don't see anything so far on it that I want to replace. I'd be more than happy to trade off some third party apps for first-class built-in apps and better stability.

Doesnt look like they included a IM application, only SMS chat. Are you going to be happy with that on a $600 phone. I'm not.

Chatter

Sep 1, 2002
www.chatteremail.com
I was wondering about cases (for people who don't want their screens scratched) and how the touch sensitive screen will react to it. Also, how that nice flat surface will look with a screen protector on it - ugh.

Bottom line is that there are a zillion different phones because variety is a good thing. The iPhone will do very well, no doubt, but, for any number of reasons, it's not the last word on phones or converged devices.

Marc

KMeloney

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
What makes you think those widgets will work with OSX mini that the iPhone runs? Do you know something we dont?[QUOTE/]

No, I don't know anything more than anyone else here, I'm sure. :confused: I'm simply thinking that there must be a logical, Apple-esque reason for the use of "widgets" on the phone, and I'm hopeful that it's because of how seamlessly they would integrate with the Mac OS. Also, I just haven't heard any compelling reason to believe that there won't be any third-party support.

How about syncing with my corporate exchange account with Push activesync.[QUOTE/]

I don't know what activesync is. What's activesync?

I dont really believe many big companies will like having users load itunes on every desktop.

I don't either. Now, WHY would they have to? (You lost me here.)

/< / /2 /<

KMeloney

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
I don't know what's so hard to understand about the idea that I'd rather my case get dirty, scratched-up, or discolored, than for this to happen to my device.

LOL We're probably ultimately talking about the same thing. I feel exactly the same way as you about this (get the case/protection screwed up, not the unit). I THOUGHT you were saying (initially) that you might not consider the iPhone 'cause it could get all gunked up. And I was just saying that to avoid that, you could probably just get a case for it, like you do with anything else -- and so that's no reason NOT to like the iPhone...

I feel like Spider in Goodfellas: "No, no, I thought you said 'hey Spider, I'm ok Spider.'" LOL :p Sorry!

KMeloney

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
Also, how that nice flat surface will look with a screen protector on it - ugh.

Marc, seriously, don't you have a screen protector on your Treo? What's wrong with putting one on an iPhone? We're not talking about putting a bull bar on a Ferrari here... LOL (Incidentally, I think that nice flat surface would look... Flat.)

Bottom line is that there are a zillion different phones because variety is a good thing. The iPhone will do very well, no doubt, but, for any number of reasons, it's not the last word on phones or converged devices.

Very true! :thumbsup:

/< / /2 /<

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
The iPhone has gorgeous versions of the Mac OS X apps. I don't see anything so far on it that I want to replace. I'd be more than happy to trade off some third party apps for first-class built-in apps and better stability.
I agree.
Also, I have to believe that there will be more widgets available to "sync" onto the iPhone.

f1realtor

Jan 15, 2006
Visit site
I've never been a mac lover like most folks here and my first and only treo is a 700w, but I think that msft might be the one to help palm out with a new version of windows mobile. This iphone is a threat to all wm5 based phones and I think that if anyone is going to come back firing it will be the boys from redmond and not palm and their os.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
LOL We're probably ultimately talking about the same thing. I feel exactly the same way as you about this (get the case/protection screwed up, not the unit). I THOUGHT you were saying (initially) that you might not consider the iPhone 'cause it could get all gunked up. And I was just saying that to avoid that, you could probably just get a case for it, like you do with anything else -- and so that's no reason NOT to like the iPhone...

I feel like Spider in Goodfellas: "No, no, I thought you said 'hey Spider, I'm ok Spider.'" LOL :p Sorry!

But I don't see a case WORKING with the iPhone because it's all screen. That's what I was saying. My case can be used while I'm on the phone, allowing me access to the most essential controls.

Not so with the iPhone - to my knowledge, anyway.

I've got many reasons to pass on the iPhone (whether I ultimately do or do not). Gunk is just one of them.

KMeloney

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
Ah. Ok. I understand now.

Well, I've got my iPod wrapped in a full-length screen protector. I'm thinking that something like this for the iPhone would work even better (no scroll wheel for the stuff to lay on unevenly). That, or a holster-style case might be the ticket. But, I see what you're saying.

Wouldn't it be sweet if the iPhone were really scratch-resistant?

/< / /2 /<

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
...But Treo is also pretty good at what they do within their "mold." I just wonder if, given the opportunity, the iPhone will present a really good reason for people to abandon that Treo mold. I'm inclined to think it will.

This is going to be interesting! :cool:

/< / /2 /<

But no real innovation has happened except for 3G radios. The 1.2 BT on the 750 is SOOO last year and a half!! They couldn't work with MSFT to develop a higher resolution screen to match the Palm OS one. No built-in wifi YET?? If it weren't for the keyboard placement, many would have left already, I bet you! Because the 8525(TyTN) does all the 750 does and more, for $100 less! At least on Cingular, unlocked there's only about a $50 difference. But I would have gotten the TyTN if it weren't for that keyboard. And also reports that screen may not display well in sunlight.

xtant21

Apr 19, 2006
Visit site
But no real innovation has happened except for 3G radios.

That's the key statement right there. What really is so sexy about the iPhone...it is DIFFERENT. Every single phone to date has hardware buttons all over it...this one does not. All of the phone today use some sort of cartoonish graphics...the iPhone is sooooo eye candy. Like I said earlier in this thread...I FEEL like I'm using old technology just two years newer...but with the iPhone and it's flipping album art, etc... I'll FEEL like I've time warped. Do I NEED flipping album art? No. But damn does it look cool and make me FEEL like I live in 2007 and not 1987.

What all of the other manufacturers have been making is a phone...looked the same for some 50 years now...yeah they are different but all in all show me a phone and I know it's a phone. Show me an iPhone and I'm not quite sure what it is until you tell me. Apple just pulled the rug out from under them...take everyday technology but put a wow spin on it and see the buzz you can create. I like the iPhone...it looks cool...I almost got mad at my 6700 for not looking as cool...but then my 6700 chimed in with a push email from my corporate server and allowed me to open my Word and PDF documents and let me work/play without needing a laptop on a business trip. So to thank the 6700 for being the best friend that it is...we went out and had a beer together...where I could change the channel on the bar's TV through my infrared port...all while driving the bartender crazy trying to figure out how the TV changed. <Looking at the 6700...sniff> I love you man.

Do that with your stinking iPhone. The iPhone is cool and it will sell very well. Especially for the younger crowd...if they can find the funds to pony up for this sticker shock queen and deal with the ineptitude of Cingular. Then again...kids haven't had much trouble coming up with cash or enough guilt-on-the-parentals to buy iPods and cell phones before. All in all I see this as a great toy...but not a business tool yet. This is really geared at the GAP and Abercrombie crowd...to make it in business it has to be a real smartphone. You have to have IT support of it and you have to have business capabilities. In it's current form the iPhone will not be a smartphone...it is smarter than a phone...but not a smartphone. The ability to add apps and support business uses is key to that moniker. It is still cool and it is still pretty but it hasn't supplanted my 6700. As button-y and sliding keyboard-y as it is...with no real eye candy...I can still play MP3s on it and leave my laptop behind...welcome to the party but we'll see you next year.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
The world is still not ending:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=1171044&postcount=1

Of course, nothing is certain until it hits the streets. . . . . .

1. will not sync with outlook at all (OH NOOOOO)
2. no iChat support at all
3. no voice dialing
4. no flash or java support in browser (WHY?)
5. Cant open word or excel docs.
6. Unit must be sent in to Apple to replace battery
7. No third party apps

I don't care about the first two, as I have no experience with iChat and I don't trust Outlook for my personal use (which is what I use my Treo for).

Voice dialing is an absolute necessity.

NO flash or java sounds anachronistic in such a Jetsons-esque device.

Word and Excel compatibility is a must.

I wanna be able to change my batteries without having my hand held (ouch; unintended pun). Shame on Apple for this one, though.

It sounds like there are enough things missing for third-party apps to be a necessity. Too bad they're verboten.

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
My point is that the Palm apps meet my needs and I have had no need for 3rd party enahnced programs.

I would suggest that you're then in a very very small minority here on this forum where people keep saying "but my Treo does all that already"

Your list of apps won't play a video, for instance. These other folks will have to have TCPMP or something to say that their's compares.

I think that was his point, people comparing thier Treos to this saying it's not an advancement are citing a heavily modded Treo as comparison. To the consumers that don't want to bother with adding anything, this is a huge advance when you compare them out of the box.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234