The World Has Not Ended Thread

gtwo#IM

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
Competition is good.

Variety is good.

The more players in the field -- the better for we consumers.

There is no ONE DEVICE.

Everyone has their own preferences and priorities.

Palm is not dead.

I still believe in a multi-tasking Palm over Linux OS Treo (900P).
(Or whatever the Hawkins' device will be.)

Mobile Computing and content delivery is the future.

Palm will be part of that future.

So will others.

This is a good thing.

Cheers, Perry.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Doesn't OS X on a phone sorta beat Palm to the punch in the Linux OS department? Palm may indeed come back to the table with something new, but how long do we have to wait while others are already putting out products? Palm's not dead but not too innovative at this moment either.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
"There is no ONE DEVICE"
You hit that one right one the nose.
As far as "Palm is not dead", well, they seem to be digging a hole about 3 feet wide and 6 feet long REALLY FAST. In fact, I think I see a backhoe coming in the distance...
Whether or not "Palm will be part of that future" is up to them and how seriously they take the challenge of innovative development - sooner than later. I don't think the iPhone is going to kill Palm. I DO think it's going to put a serious dent in Palm sales, as well as HTC, Blackberry and every other company building a "converged device" for at least a few months. At the very least, anybody not already working on a serious innovation challenger for the iPhone is probably still looking at the web pages in disbelief. I hope Palm has something in the works that will make us all proud - but based on the performance given over the past two + years, I doubt it...

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
Doesn't OS X on a phone sorta beat Palm to the punch in the Linux OS department?

Sorta? I'd say it does. To me, though, the underlying OS doesn't matter - if it does what it is supposed to and there are apps to meet my needs and fill in all the gaps. The bigger issue is the form factor - Palm has been hanging on to the clunky plastic Treo design for far too long. They scratch, crack and look like cheap beaten up toys in no time. When / if they step up (with a new OS) then maybe people will stay w/ the platform. Otherwise you'r'e just being a ludite.

Dunc

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
this release finally allows some to see how behind the times palm and its devices really are. more and more threads are popping up these days on the problems palm is having keeping pace, how their newest devices are yesterday's technology, and how it is to make their devices work because many don't seem to very well, out of the box (why we have a 3rd app cottage industry to fix all of these problems...why you don't in other devices).

and so many on here keep giving Palm the benefit of the doubt.....the "one last chance to win be back statements" are just as comical.

good luck palm

xtant21

Apr 19, 2006
Visit site
Agreed on many points above, but I am not so sure how an iPhone will look after several months of pounding either. . . . .

The next Palm/Hawkins Device offering had better meet the challenge. With a 2 to 3 year gestation period -- we will soon see what Palm's vision was in '04 and '05.

Does the iPhone come with a window wiper for the screen and a little nozzle to squirt blue liquid stuff? I can envision a screen always in need of grease removal. . . . .
Ok, ok. . . trivial point.

Cheers, Perry.

Not necessarily a trivial point...it becomes a problem viewing the screen...it did on my Treo and it does on PPC6700. That said...I see something like the oil fob motorola includes with the RAZR as Apple's solution...it'll dongle off the lanyard loop and be there to de-grease your phone. probably machine washable too.

Now...my feeling on the iPhone since I haven't chimed in yet. I think it's seriously going to shake things up. All of the devices today have a trade-off...thin and no touch screen...thick but touch screen. iPhone...thin and ALL touchscreen. People have said that tactile feedback from a keyboard is necessary...I disagree...you will get used to not having that...how many people don't use their stylus to do quick things on the screen of Treos and PPCs? It'll be a pain at first but we will get used to it and probably like it better in the end.

iPhone is cool in it's ability to change the UI to suit the need...something no other device can claim. You can't change the button layout or keyboard on ANY other device...it is what it is. Different language keyboard...done. Different button layout...done. Where I work we have been using what I call 1970's technology...buttons, switches, POTs etc...but our new user interface is completely centered around an LCD touch screen panel...yes we have a few buttons left but the world is heading this way. Our customers have driven the need for this. Plus...I can create tabbed screens rather than add another hardware button or control panel...similar to the iPhone. It gives me the flexibility to take the existing hardware and augment it with software for many years to come. I can give you a whole new UI in a few hours and you can install it yourself.

Ok all that aside...the thing just friggin' looks cool. How many times I watch Johnny Mnemonic, The Matrix or any other future movie and say damn...we are still in the stone ages. It is the year 2007 and things don't look much different from 50s - 90s. Sure, things have gotten smaller and not as big-button but this isn't the world we envisioned or promised even BACK in the 50s. I think for the first time we're seeing technology more on par with where we should be for this date and time. I just saw the dash of the new Honda Civic the other day...completely different from most offerings...not really a new idea (digital dash) but the two tiered approach is cool...puts the important information at road level...no more hand-pop to see your speed, gas etc. Nice ideas and forward thinking.

Will the iPhone rule the world...no. Does is force the hand of everyone else to catch up...absolutely. This phone will be big and a lot of people are going to buy it. Does it replace an iPod...not really...people have more and more music and movies...passing the 8 gig mark. Most people have been happy though with their 4 gig iPod nanos though. The big drawback to the iPhone no memory expansion slot...it is what it is and that's all that it is. If I want to go buy another 8gig SD card to add to my iPhone...I can't. That's the part that sucks...at least with most devices I have that option. The other thing...I see no information about handling attachments other than pictures. A true "smartphone" allows me to work remote...i.e. handle Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDF files. I know apple can do this...will it be included? That's a true differentiating factor as well.

Anyway this is my whacked thinking on this whole thing...I think it's good for us and the industry...it is just one device in a pool of many...but out of the gate...Apple's got a great start. Good luck to everyone else in catching up...the other vendors have obviously had blinders on. They need to start hiring the guys Steve's hiring and quit passing on them because they have weird (good) ideas. I read this on engadget and it is SO true...the writer was standing outside the door after Steve Jobs' keynote and overheard someone on their cell phone...and I (semi) quote "Steve Jobs looks like a f***ing jedi master compared to these other idiots". I have to say...I agree...these other CE(don't knows) are just missing the mark, the boat and whatever else you want to call it. Even Yahoo and Google had lame presentations showing no real innovation...just fluff about adding a feature or two to an existing product line.

Get with the program people...the future is now...let's start building it.

emajy

Sep 2, 2002
Visit site
For now how about a Palm device that does not continually reset itself. Both my Treo 650 (and 600 before that) along with my wifes T/X reset themselves all the time. So I still love my Treo but the Palm track record is looking worse and worse.

Whatever the next Palm smartphone, it had better be rock solid.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Agreed on many points above, but I am not so sure how an iPhone will look after several months of pounding either. . . . .

The next Palm/Hawkins Device offering had better meet the challenge. With a 2 to 3 year gestation period -- we will soon see what Palm's vision was in '04 and '05.

Does the iPhone come with a window wiper for the screen and a little nozzle to squirt blue liquid stuff? I can envision a screen always in need of grease removal. . . . .
Ok, ok. . . trivial point.

Cheers, Perry.

Luckily, the 680 is cheaper. There are plenty of people who'd love to have a device like the iPhone, but who aren't willing or able to invest so many hundreds of dollars. For them, a device like the 680 may be more attractive.

Still, that doggone 8GB's is monstrous. MAN, that's a toughie!

Anyway, if, somehow, I decide to become an iPhoneY, I envision something like a gun holster that'd keep the device next to my rib-cage, protected by my arm (though not quite the armPIT) - easily accessible, yet completely protected.

Luckily, it's small enough for that crazy idea to be somewhat practical - especially if the thing had a lil wipey thingee inside of it that automatically desmudged the screen every time you holstered that bad-boy.

mesplin@earthli

May 7, 2006
Visit site
Based upon the reaction from my friends and associates to the advance PR, I have no doubt that the iPhone will be a big hit. I think, in addition to Apple, Cingular comes out a big winner. As some others have opined, this could be provide incentive for not only Palm, but also for Sprint, Verizons, T-Mobil, etc. to push for competitive devices. Hopefullly all these folks have not been simply sitting on their hands so far behind that catching up is not possible. Palm must have had some inkling that someone (Apple) was looking forward with the idea of grabbing some of the market.

TxDot

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
One of the things mentioned over and over about why folks prefer the Palm OS is the number of third-party applications that are available. I think Apple is going face this same hurdle in regards to the iPhone. Remember that one of the biggest reasons Windows did so well was the ease of writing applications for it (yes I understand that is also one of the reason there is so much crappy Windows software) and that is not true for the Mac.

Then there's the hardware costs. Currently Palm beats the iPhone in that department. Treo 680: $200, 8GB Nano: $180 = $480 compared to the iPhone at $499 (4GB) and $599 (8GB).

Then of course there's the carrier issues that Apple will have to learn to deal with. May folks will be willing to pay more for the iPhone and Apple won't have to deal with carrier subsidies. Only time will tell.

So, I agree with Perry. Palm is not dead and won't be for a long time...

maninrochester

Oct 13, 2006
Visit site
If the iPhone kills the TREO it will be at Palm's own hand. I love my Treo, I hate the resets, the time it takes to switch between apps, the bluetooth issues, the display is too small and I can't multi-task. If Palm pays some attention to its base it can be very competitive with Apple.

emajy

Sep 2, 2002
Visit site
What if the iPhone comes with most of the software we need. Part of the problem is that Palm did not provide a lot of the basics for a $600 phone. Mp3 ringer, alerts, IM, Office software etc. So we have to go find 3rd party software solutions.

Now Palm can blame the 3rd party's software instead of the limits of the Palm OS. Considering a Treo with no 3rd party resets this is a problem.

So if Apple gives me a suite of products that fills almost all of my needs ( no searching for an IM program comes to mind) then I anticipate better reliability.
This still remains to be seen from Apple.

So now we have 6 months to talk about it but for now I won't switch because Cingular has horrible service in my area of NJ.

xtant21

Apr 19, 2006
Visit site
So now we have 6 months to talk about it but for now I won't switch because Cingular has horrible service in my area of NJ.

Yes, 6 months to talk about this...BUT we know it is here and we know it's coming...this is going to make for a weird silly season for us veterans. We've always had to speculate and guess. Perry won't be sweating it out this time...no cool avatars...it's just plain weird man...weird.

Also, forgot to mention...the other drawback to the iPhone...Cingular service. It's horrendous around here and it was so bad that Cingular actually had to let me out of a contract because even they admitted (after months of wrangling) that coverage in my area sucked. So...tying yourself to a GSM supplier...good for taking this thing global...bad for hitching your wagon to the most confused cell provider in the U.S. Who did they get to do this independent survey for least dropped calls? I want to talk to those fools.

Oh...and by the way...what's their name going to be tomorrow? Cingular...no it's AT&T wait...nope it's Cingular...whoops hold on it's AT&T...no wait a minute...hold on...let's go with Cingu AT-AT...no that's not right how about we just call it the right way SIN-gular.

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
Competition is good.

Variety is good.

The more players in the field -- the better for we consumers.

There is no ONE DEVICE.

Everyone has their own preferences and priorities.

Palm is not dead.

I still believe in a multi-tasking Palm over Linux OS Treo (900P).
(Or whatever the Hawkins' device will be.)

Mobile Computing and content delivery is the future.

Palm will be part of that future.

So will others.

This is a good thing.

Cheers, Perry.

The stock comparison.....priceless.

43r7iud.jpg

Treolo

Mar 10, 2000
Visit site
Why is Palm so behind? Well, after Sony left the Palm arena to build the PSP Palm felt like they had no reason to copy what Sony was doing in the handheld arena. Now with Apple shaking the smartphone ground with the iPhone, I seriously believe that Palm is in great danger. Palm has been too conservative and that is not good in the long term. People are really excited about the iPhone and are going to buy it until it gets sold out completely everywhere because it is great innovation and gives people what they've been asking for. Palm gives us only what they think it is best for us. I feel bad for Palm, but I have not doubt that once Sprint comes out with the iPhone I will buy one the same day it becames available.

Goodbye Treo :(

Al

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I wouldn't put the nail in the coffin just yet. (Oh, and I don't take everything an analyst says as gospel...)

Taken from the article found here
http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3653211

Avi Greengart from Goldman says, "A lot of the innovation we see on the iPhone we've seen first on the Treo..."

D

The writer's probably on-point with regard to business users.

Consumers are going to eat this puppy up.

blee4

Aug 15, 2005
Visit site
I've got a feeling you'll be eating those words. Apple has pulled some pretty impressive stuff out of their bag, the thing that non Mac users need to understand is that with companies like Google and Apple alike if they aren't paving the way and innovating they are taking something thats been done and doing it better. They win by out classing the competition because like most companies that are industry leaders ones they are at the head of the pack they drag their feet. Look at Yahoo and Google, Yahoo was once king of search and don't forget they had competition. Than Google came along and blew them out of the water and now Yahoo is restructuring. Apple and the MP3 player even their computers. Apple is about the entire experience from start to finish where as Palm well how many of you uses real player for MP3's? How many of you have a 3rd party datebook/address book installed why don't you use what Palm gave you? Mac users use iCal, Apple Mail, Apple Address book, and iLife because it works!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711