Things I Don't Understand...

bclinger#IM

Sep 14, 2003
Visit site
Steve Jobs has a well published history of mistakes; big mistakes.

Read the link in the above post about a couple of failures and problems he has had.

Ben

All Mac people know that Jobs is fanatical about R&D and has been working on the iPhone for 2 and a 1/2 years. He does NOT like to disappoint.

The Kool-Aid looks great, smells great, and I can't wait to have a taste because it's going to be...great.

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
Well, someone mentioned third party software - here is the link to Stevie himself about third party software:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/t...d98b8686&ei=5094&partner=homepage&oref=slogin

Part of it below:

Mr. Jobs is moving in that direction, too, but it appears that he wants to control his device much more closely than his competitors.

?We define everything that is on the phone,? he said. ?You don?t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn?t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.?

The iPhone, he insisted, would not look like the rest of the wireless industry.

?These are devices that need to work, and you can?t do that if you load any software on them,? he said. ?That doesn?t mean there?s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn?t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.?

Software developers at Macworld Expo, the trade show where Mr. Jobs made the iPhone announcement, said they were taking a wait-and-see attitude about the phone. Several noted that much of the phone?s usability will depend on what added functions Apple decides to place in the version of the Safari Web browser that is part of the system.

Price is not a factor for me; if I want it, I buy it. However, I do take the time to look before buying.

Ben

This doesn't mean there won't be third party applications, but rather a more controlled development environment. My guess is that he is referring to something like the "signed executables" concept that currently exists on WM5. My firm signs all of our apps before they ship which allows our apps to run natively with the same (or similar) security rights of WM5 itself.

The difference here is the OSX on the phone isn't going to allow "unsigned" apps to run at all, unlike WM5. So .. they are going to eliminate the hobbiest coder. from a stability standpoint this isn't a bad thing.

sinebubble

Jan 19, 2004
Visit site
Here's something *I* don't understand.

1. On a 680, in Phone App -> Options -> Phone Display Options, why doesn't the "Fade" slider fade the silk screen controls? Instead, it fades the picture, which is totally useless. Here is an example of Palm going to the trouble of implementing some eye candy and totally getting it wrong. Look at the iPhone translucent silk screen gui/controls over the wallpaper.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html#mn_p

Why didn't Palm do it this way? It seems so obvious.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
p.s. If you want some fair reporting on this, check out the WSJ article and other unbiased reports.

wsj unbiased? who made them the authority? for heaven's sake, their workloads are probably half of yours and mine.

so tired of the mossberg/mossburg thing....people read him because he is in print, not because of his technical genius.

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
Well, someone mentioned third party software - here is the link to Stevie himself about third party software:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/t...d98b8686&ei=5094&partner=homepage&oref=slogin

Part of it below:

Mr. Jobs is moving in that direction, too, but it appears that he wants to control his device much more closely than his competitors.

“We define everything that is on the phone,” he said. “You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.”

The iPhone, he insisted, would not look like the rest of the wireless industry.

“These are devices that need to work, and you can’t do that if you load any software on them,” he said. “That doesn’t mean there’s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn’t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.”

Why hello there!!! Why isn't this being pointed out more?!

Everyone's just saying that there's no 3rd party/additional apps allowed.... saying that the apps they showed on it at the keynote wouldn't be enough...

At a bare minimum, it allows for the possibility that everyone seems to think can't happen, but at best, you can walk into an Apple store/Cingular and buy an Office suite, PDF reader, games, etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, you may pay more than shareware on a Treo, but if it means that Apple's slapped their stamp of approval on it, it will be supported, and it will just work, I'll happily pay extra.

Thanks for the link (and the hope :D)!

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Why hello there!!! Why isn't this being pointed out more?!

Everyone's just saying that there's no 3rd party/additional apps allowed.... saying that the apps they showed on it at the keynote wouldn't be enough...

At a bare minimum, it allows for the possibility that everyone seems to think can't happen, but at best, you can walk into an Apple store/Cingular and buy an Office suite, PDF reader, games, etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, you may pay more than shareware on a Treo, but if it means that Apple's slapped their stamp of approval on it, it will be supported, and it will just work, I'll happily pay extra.

Thanks for the link (and the hope :D)!
And I'd be willing to bet that applications that are made available in the future will only be around $5.00. Just like the current Electronic Arts games for the iPod are priced through the iTunes Store.

Compare this to $20-$30 for a game on the Palm platform.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
And I'd be willing to bet that applications that are made available in the future will only be around $5.00. Just like the current Electronic Arts games for the iPod are priced through the iTunes Store.
When the $5 GPS navigation software with all 50 states and Canada comes out, I'll be in line to buy it. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site

Compare this to $20-$30 for a game on the Palm platform.

Who wants crappy games by EA? I want an IM chat program, compatability with my MS Outlook, Office viewers, GPS, a password program. Do you think these will be $5.00?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73