Whos getting an iPhone?

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Let me come onto TREOcentral, bash Treo's in worship of this unproven IPhone, and damn anyone who opposes me? Morons, absolute idiots.....

Say what you want, I'm still sleeping tonight whether you love the iphone or not, but if you're trying to make close-ended proclamations about the device (that you haven't even touched) with no debate then you're in the wrong place. www.iphonecentral.com?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Well I think we all can contend by reading through his rants, that OAlaverez about 15 years old,

oh brother...here we go with the 15yr old stuff....the funny thing is that individuals such as yourself and malawhatever are the provoking ones. someone says they like the iphone or doesn't like the treo and "wham-o!" rants? i don't think so.

in response to the original poster: i am getting an i-phone and am looking forward to its release.

:)

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
There is no doubt that a 3G version of this phone should be developed. According to Cingular, they're workiing on it:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20070110/tc_zd/198403

It will require another radio, and surely a bigger battery. Apple will not be able to sell this phone overseas without 3G, so I expect this to happen by the end of the year.
That's going to be a tough one to take...buying the EDGE version in June and then rationalizing buying the 3G verison in December...at least to my wife :hmm:

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
oh brother...here we go with the 15yr old stuff....the funny thing is that individuals such as yourself and malawhatever are the provoking ones. someone says they like the iphone or doesn't like the treo and "wham-o!" rants? i don't think so.
oh boo-hoo oalvarez...

Here you go:

kleenex.jpg

:)

If you can't debate or defend your position don't respond to my posts. Not hard.

MarkEagle

Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
someone says they like the iphone or doesn't like the treo and "wham-o!" rants? i don't think so.
No different than those who love the Treo and hate everything mentioned thus far about the iPhone. It's a 2-way street and everyone needs to be mindful of others opinions.

The bottom line is the iPhone isn't even available yet. Saying anything pro or con at this time is nothing more than conjecture... nobody knows anything for certain, not even the hairdresser. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding won't be ready until at least June, which is a looong way off.

I hope these discussions won't digress to the point of personal attacks and name-calling. Treo lover or iPhone zealot, we're ALL better than that.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
That's going to be a tough one to take...buying the EDGE version in June and then rationalizing buying the 3G verison in December...at least to my wife :hmm:

good point. so far, EDGE hasn't been too much of a hindrance or real negative although i haven't used my device as a wireless modem. i have owned EVDO products, EDGE and now 3G via the 750 (able to receive the bandwith where i live). as far as i'm concerned edge isn't all that bad. perhaps waiting til december will have its merits too in that more might be known and available for the iphone at that time.

at least we'll have something to look forward to throughout the year

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
You're right. It is a shame to not have it. I've already checked my area and I'm not in a 3G area, except during leisure time. I'm sure it will be extended to my area soon. However, the wifi will help make that much more endurable. And what's my alternative? A Treo 700(P) with no 3G? A 750 with Windows?! I can hold out till June and make an informed decision. Who knows, maybe I'll totally hate the on-screen keypad. Considering the R&D, I would put it as a long shot.

Still, the iPhone is a "Smartphone"...Wikipedia says so :cool:

Now I'm no expert on cellular phone categorisation..but the day wikipedia, and not some official peer-reviewed textbook on cellular communications becomes the end-all...well..that's a sad sad day for information technology!

Obviously with the present "wiki" definition as a guide, an iPhone counts as a smartphone...but so does my old nokia 6101! In other words..as technology improves the definitions we use need to. 10 yrs ago the motorola star tac was a smartphone wasn't it? let's not jump the proverbial gun here!

TBH in my opinion basically a smartphone is one that can "adapt" and "learn" through the use of its software and hardware...possibly the iPhone has the hardware, but from what Jobs showed it seems to lack a lot of the software ppl have defined smartphones by which show their potential such as GPS nav ( naturally mostly 3rd party apps)....like a brain w/o fully developed cognition...perhaps when they allow development we shall see how "smart" it can get e.g. GPS, 3G etc

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
when you step back a bit, you really have to laugh, or shake your head. people are getting into fights, namecalling and all that here over cellphones!
holy cats!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
No different than those who love the Treo and hate everything mentioned thus far about the iPhone. It's a 2-way street and everyone needs to be mindful of others opinions.

The bottom line is the iPhone isn't even available yet. Saying anything pro or con at this time is nothing more than conjecture... nobody knows anything for certain, not even the hairdresser. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding won't be ready until at least June, which is a looong way off.

I hope these discussions won't digress to the point of personal attacks and name-calling. Treo lover or iPhone zealot, we're ALL better than that.

thank you.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Prediction: iPhone Pro before the end of 2007. I have watched Apple a long time and I think Steve's presentation was a tease. I believe there's more!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Prediction: iPhone Pro before the end of 2007. I have watched Apple a long time and I think Steve's presentation was a tease. I believe there's more!

Which would rather make a fool of those plunking down $600 and locking themselves into a two year contract for gen 1.

Surur

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Which would rather make a fool of those plunking down $600 and locking themselves into a two year contract for gen 1.

Surur

Who is more foolish those of us critiquing vapor(ware) or those innocent lambs, who are completely satisfied to plunk down $600 and lock themselves into a two year contract with Cingular?

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
So, it's better to lock into a 2 year contract for a Treo and wait for those incremental updates from Palm.

I'd rather have a company bring out new stuff and fixes faster rather than Palm's performance over the last year.

And for the naming calling record, I don't think you need to be a Treo hater to love the iPhone. I can't count how much money I've spent on Palm the past few years. But on all the devices they've released in the past year I am sorely disappointed. The 650 (after firmware updates) mostly did what it was supposed to. All the releases since then seem to have enough bugs that their usability is affected, sometimes significantly.

I'll move to the iPhone since it seems like it will meet my needs. For those it doesn't great, get what suits you best. But I do hope Palm makes changes. On their current course I don't think their future looks very bright. I'd love to know how 680 sales are going since they indicated this was their market expander. I haven't really seem much positive about it since it was released.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So, it's better to lock into a 2 year contract for a Treo and wait for those incremental updates from Palm.

Its a question of price. If the last gen tech (EDGE) is cheap, then is makes sense to settle for it (e.g. Treo 680), but if its expensive, and it will be corrected in six months, doesn't it make sense to wait instead?

Surur

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
I will be waiting to see how it develops while I ride out my Sprint contract (3/08). Here is what I want to know and will alter my decision to buy or not.

1. Price of the plans. I am betting there will be iPhone specific set of tiered plans. Since these will be sold in the Apple Store.

2. 3G. Not available where I am yet. I imagine by 08 it will be here, in my area and in the iPhone.

That is pretty much it for me. I will have over a year to watch this pan out. I want one bad though. We will see. By 08 I expect to see:

1. More memory. Maybe up it to 8GB and 12GB. Maybe more as flash should come down a lot.

2. N wireless.

3. More battery life.

4. Maybe slimmer.

Maybe even more. Again we will see.

I am pumped. Just wish I didnt have to wait so long.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77