Whos getting an iPhone?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Oh Gosh,
The phone was just announced . Do you think DOCs to GO will sit and not make a version for this bad boy or other wise apple would not make an app to open word document or excel for that matter? Similarly Outlook syncing ?
Slingbox will come as the phone comes,for sure by the end of the year .
People will find a way to unlock this bad boy and than T mo users will come .
3G is the only issue , however if wifi is that frequently available , i atleast do n't care about 3G .
You may or may not need that much battery life . I bet the charger is going to be small and easy to carry .
In other words give the phone sometime .;)
Slingplayer? How are you going to do that over 2g unless you are now saying I'll require a wifi connection. Awesome.

You forgot streaming radio, GPS, network admin, VOIP, system security, ability to add 3rd party programs.

Once again, this is a fancy multi-media phone not a smartphone as much as you want it to be.

And lack of 3g is huge considering even regular handsets have that.

see my other post on all of this:
http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=1172690&postcount=12

The RAZR does more "smartphone" things than the iPhone.

Give it time? So you can proclaim it will do all of the above without giving time but I have to wait to say it does not compete with a Treo? Sounds fair. :shake:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Just b/c you put a smiley at the end doesn't negate the fact you're being a jerk.

:)
hey, why not one more!

hopefully that will make you feel a little better, and perhaps want to treat others with some respect. and while you're trying to find some goodness in your heart, realize that others can have any opinion they want on these devices and that yours is not the only one. we understand that you think it is.

can't wait to see what the iphone can do when released.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
hey, why not one more!

hopefully that will make you feel a little better, and perhaps want to treat others with some respect. and while you're trying to find some goodness in your heart, realize that others can have any opinion they want on these devices and that yours is not the only one. we understand that you think it is.

can't wait to see what the iphone can do when released.
Guess you ran out of actual arguments since you can't refute my posts.

I'm confused as to what this forum is about: debate or just heap praise on a not yet-released-device?

See, I thought we put forth positions/opinions then discuss or debate them. I'm not here to convince people to buy the 700wx or to not buy the iPhone, I am here to point out the differences between the two and to take the position that they are not equals in functionality.

Others take the oppositie position and then we debate the merits of each others points put forth. If you do not like that system then you do not have to participate here.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
The way I see it. The iPhone really isn't intended to compete with or replace the PDA phones (WM5, Palmos, Sybmian.) Rather it's targeted toward 'phone' users like Razrs, flip phones, etc and particylarly those that are ipod users. After all it's the 'iPhone' not the 'iPDA'. So it'll do VERY well in that market. I just think it's way too expensive for what it is.

Will the iPhone support push email? I didn't see tht feature.

Lastly, it has no buttons, and I like buttons on my phones.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
The way I see it. The iPhone really isn't intended to compete with or replace the PDA phones (WM5, Palmos, Sybmian.) Rather it's targeted toward 'phone' users like Razrs, flip phones, etc and particylarly those that are ipod users. After all it's the 'iPhone' not the 'iPDA'. So it'll do VERY well in that market. I just think it's way too expensive for what it is.

Lastly, it has no buttons, and I like buttons on my phones.

exactly ! if anything Apple is trying to create a new niche between the one palm created adn the one companies like motorola and nokia dominate....thus of course they will get more sales than a treo...there are more ppl who use so-called 'dumb" phones (including myself) and this will draww fromt ht wide base..but it won't be killing any smartphones anytime soon..though it WILL stunt Palm's push into that low-end market with the 680 (which is still a much smarter phone)...

Jan 8, 2005
www.theafricannerd.com
The way I see it. The iPhone really isn't intended to compete with or replace the PDA phones (WM5, Palmos, Sybmian.) Rather it's targeted toward 'phone' users like Razrs, flip phones, etc and particylarly those that are ipod users. .

I agree with this, but what gets under my skin is how Steve presentation purposely compared the iPHone to Smartphones, giviing the illusion that the iPHone is a better smartphone.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I agree with this, but what gets under my skin is how Steve presentation purposely compared the iPHone to Smartphones, giviing the illusion that the iPHone is a better smartphone.

what he's doing with that RDF spin is get poptential smartphone buyers (say ppl who might try the treo 680 or blackjack)...unfortunately for them if they don't do the research well and the iPhone stays as it is now, spec and app-wise, they'll end up with a $600 (plus contractual $80 per month data+voice package for 2 yrs) with very limited productivity - it'll be more than enough for the mass consumer however so good for them.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Where do you get this stuff from? They are offering it with Yahoo, but they have full IMAP and POP. There's nothing that says it does or doesn't do IMAP IDLE which is push. Until more details are available you can't make this assertion.

It does but only from Yahoo. They seemed to have inked an exclusive deal (though not really exclusive as we can get push Yahoo via Yahoo 2go service already)

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Where do you get this stuff from? They are offering it with Yahoo, but they have full IMAP and POP. There's nothing that says it does or doesn't do IMAP IDLE which is push. Until more details are available you can't make this assertion.
The OP asked if it does PUSH email.

Yes, with Yahoo.

Where do I get this stuff from? I dunno, maybe Steve Jobs during his presentation?

Maybe it does work with IMAP Idle, maybe it doesn't. I'm going by what Steve said and promoted.

Why assert that "maybe it can do others" when there is no evidence? I'm going by what we actually know right now, not speculation. :shake: Last I checked WM5 and POS do IMAP too but no Idle (natively).

Maybe it will allow me to fly, Steve didn't say it couldn't, right? How can I assert otherwise?

I tell you what though: seeing as Yahoo made a special deal with Apple to promote and use their Push email system, I can almost guarantee you are locked into using it.

Lets meet back in 4-5 months.

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
Slingplayer? How are you going to do that over 2g unless you are now saying I'll require a wifi connection. Awesome.

You forgot streaming radio, GPS, network admin, VOIP, system security, ability to add 3rd party programs.

Once again, this is a fancy multi-media phone not a smartphone as much as you want it to be.

And lack of 3g is huge considering even regular handsets have that.

see my other post on all of this:
http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=1172690&postcount=12

The RAZR does more "smartphone" things than the iPhone.

Give it time? So you can proclaim it will do all of the above without giving time but I have to wait to say it does not compete with a Treo? Sounds fair. :shake:

Most of America can not get 3G anyhow.

From David Pogues FAQ List: "Does it get onto the HSDPA (3G) high-speed Internet network that Cingular has rolled out in a few cities? ?No. But Steve Jobs said a later version of the iPhone will ? once there?s enough HSDPA coverage in this country to justify it."

I am going to use this to comment on the 3rd party apps as well. It has already been stated from many outless direct from Jobs and others that there will be 3rd party support. How exactly that will be handled is unknown. It won't be open to everyone and their mother of course, I am fine with that. I would rather have apps that have gone through Apple to ensure quality and that the phone will work as a phone. Many apps have made my 650 tank.

Documents will come. It reads PDFs right now. The lack of iWork at MWSF has some suggesting tight intergration between the iPhone and iWork.

Within 6 months of release this phone will have documents both viewing and editing. As well as much of the other things people are talking about.

Calm down folks. And yes give it time. I think Apple is off to a good start here. Honestly it doesn't seem like they are aiming for the professional with this one. Or maybe they need time to get some of those things in here.

I saw one comment about the plan being $200 a month. Please. Apple isn't going to price themselves out of the market with a plan that expensive.

My guess is that we will see custom pricing on a tier much like the other Apple products.

My hope: Unlimted text and data on every plan. With varying minutes starting at $59.99.

May be a dream, but if anyone can get it from Cingular it is Apple. Talk of custom plans have already been rumored. Doing this cuts down on the confusion associated with buying a product, which is how Apple likes it.

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
The OP asked if it does PUSH email.

Yes, with Yahoo.

Where do I get this stuff from? I dunno, maybe Steve Jobs during his presentation?

Maybe it does work with IMAP Idle, maybe it doesn't. I'm going by what Steve said and promoted.

Why assert that "maybe it can do others" when there is no evidence? I'm going by what we actually know right now, not speculation. :shake: Last I checked WM5 and POS do IMAP too but no Idle (natively).

Maybe it will allow me to fly, Steve didn't say it couldn't, right? How can I assert otherwise?

I tell you what though: seeing as Yahoo made a special deal with Apple to promote and use their Push email system, I can almost guarantee you are locked into using it.

Lets meet back in 4-5 months.

Did you watch the keynote. He mentioned multiple email services, said just about any email service is compatible with iPhone. So I dount you would be locked into using Yahoo.

This isnt speculation. This is a fact. Will I be using the Yahoo when I get it? Heck yeah. It is push. I don't want to have to poll it myself.

You wont have to use it though. And this is based on what Jobs said during the keynote.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Most of America can not get 3G anyhow.

From David Pogues FAQ List: "Does it get onto the HSDPA (3G) high-speed Internet network that Cingular has rolled out in a few cities? –No. But Steve Jobs said a later version of the iPhone will — once there’s enough HSDPA coverage in this country to justify it."
Most of America? Maybe with poor Cingular. (Sprint rolled out it's first 3g device in Sep 2005...)

Either way that is a lame cop out. There is no reason that it couldn't come out with HSDPA and as the network grows, you get 3G.

Or, like the Cingular Treo 750 have it upgradeable via software when the time is right (if the iPhone is software upgradeable it has not been mentioned and they're being very hush-hush about it. I keep hearing "later devices" which is a great way to screw customers...again. By the time you get a 3g iPhone, Sprint will be well into 4G Wimax. )
Documents will come. It reads PDFs right now. The lack of iWork at MWSF has some suggesting tight intergration between the iPhone and iWork.

Within 6 months of release this phone will have documents both viewing and editing. As well as much of the other things people are talking about.
Maybe, maybe not. This is speculation. I'm not sure editing on such a device will be a fun adventure (highlighting, selecting, cells, etc.)

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Did you watch the keynote. He mentioned multiple email services, said just about any email service is compatible with iPhone. So I dount you would be locked into using Yahoo.

This isnt speculation. This is a fact. Will I be using the Yahoo when I get it? Heck yeah. It is push. I don't want to have to poll it myself.

You wont have to use it though. And this is based on what Jobs said during the keynote.
The person asked about PUSH email.

PUSH.

The other email services were for POP3 and IMAP, not PUSH.

This is what Steve said and this is what the OP asked about.

All evidence suggests if you want PUSH EMAIL, you will be locked into using Yahoo. Why else would Yahoo ink a deal with them?

Of course you can use other email services, but that's not what we were talking about.

Carrier: locked
Music/Video: locked (iTunes)
Software: locked
Push email/Yahoo: locked?

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
You are making stuff up. He said they were doing a deal not locking you to Yahoo. It supports ordinary IMAP and POP3, it's unknown if it support IMAP IDLE outside Yahoo.

You complain about other people's bias then go around spreading FUD. Backup up your claim with facts or stop lying. No where does it say that Yahoo is exclusive. Are they exclusive with Google?

All evidence suggests if you want PUSH EMAIL, you will be locked into using Yahoo. Why else would Yahoo ink a deal with them?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

Within 6 months of release this phone will have documents both viewing and editing. As well as much of the other things people are talking about

Its seems to me the Apple fanboys do much much more speculation than the IPhone critics, who just go on what Steve Jobs and his lieutenants have been saying.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
You are making stuff up. He said they were doing a deal not locking you to Yahoo. It supports ordinary IMAP and POP3, it's unknown if it support IMAP IDLE outside Yahoo.

You complain about other people's bias then go around spreading FUD. Backup up your claim with facts or stop lying. No where does it say that Yahoo is exclusive. Are they exclusive with Google?
Where do I complain of other people's bias? Back it up.

The reasons why I think Yahoo PUSH email is locked:

1) They have a special deal with Yahoo to provide PUSH email to all iPhone customers. Special deals usually involves exclusivity. PUSH is not cheap to provide.

2) No mention of any other PUSH capability, including the biggy: Exchange

3) This is a multimedia device, not an enterprise. Different market, less important.

4) Everything else is locked on this phone

But like I said earlier, lets have this discussion again in 4-5 months and see who is correct.

As far as exclusive with Google (I suppose you mean GMaps?) Yes, they are as far as a software solution!

You cannot install anything else, can you? You can use the web versions though...

joele

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
And you're basing this idea of no 3rd party software on what, exactly? I don't recall any official word from Apple on this.

Steve Jobs has confirmed this now... And gives a very lame excuse..

Newsweek quotes Steve Jobs:

"You don?t want your phone to be an open platform....You need it to work when you need it to work. Cingular doesn't want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up."