Whos getting an iPhone?

joele

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
If you want an uber cool looking fashionable phone then the iphone will be for you, if you want a phone and PDA in one the iphone for many of us isn't a great option as it will not have 3rd party software support..

And yes the iphone will easily outsell the Treo as more people want a cool looking phone than open expandable phone/pda..

mrjoec

Dec 1, 2000
www.joecieplinski.com
If you want an uber cool looking fashionable phone then the iphone will be for you, if you want a phone and PDA in one the iphone for many of us isn't a great option as it will not have 3rd party software support..

And yes the iphone will easily outsell the Treo as more people want a cool looking phone than open expandable phone/pda..

And you're basing this idea of no 3rd party software on what, exactly? I don't recall any official word from Apple on this.

I'm also really tired of people equating all Apple products with fashion, writing them off as not being for "power users." This is utter nonsense. You can have style and power in one package.

joele

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
And you're basing this idea of no 3rd party software on what, exactly? I don't recall any official word from Apple on this.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-iphone-is-not-a-smartphone/

No there is no official word from the king of locked down proprietory products... but hey maybe it won't turn out that way, and great if it doesn't, we'll see won't we ;-)

I'm also really tired of people equating all Apple products with fashion, writing them off as not being for "power users." This is utter nonsense. You can have style and power in one package.

Style and power yes, an even slightly open device from Apple, so far no...

o_town_racer

May 27, 2005
Visit site
As far as Apple releasing only well engineered products....how soon they forget....

Remember all the cracked screens in the iPod mini?

Remember the big ruckus due to the non-user replaceable batteries in the iPod that were failing at an alarming rate?

I will not be an early adopter of the iPhone.

KMeloney

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
I'm a huge Apple fan & user (and that's the main reason I haven't gone with a Treo 7xx -- no Windows Mobile for me, thanks). So, I'll be looking at getting an iPhone (barring huge problems) as soon as it's available. In the meantime, I've certainly been enjoying my Palm-based 650.

As for the whole no-third-party-software thing, what does that mean? Software by third parties is always being written for the Mac. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to upgrade/update the iPhone with third party goodies. But, isn't this conversation putting the cart before the horse a bit here? I'd imagine that the software for this phone will be spectacular right out of the box. Apple software (and hardware) and UI is what makes Apple fans such big fans.

Also, if you're a Mac user, then you already know how often Apple puts out software updates that are a piece of cake to install. I'd think that this phone would be engineered in such a way that updating the software on this phone would be just as easy (at least a lot less daunting than it has been/can be updating the Treo base software). That being said, I don't know enough about computer/phone & software architecture to be sure about -- I'm simply considering Apple's past way of doing things.

I'm really looking forward to this phone. The idea of such an Apple product has been rumored for long time now, leading me to believe that this has been in the works and testing for a REALLY long time. I would think that Apple is bringing the phone out now because it's finally ready now (Apple's stock price has been quite high lately PRIOR to the release of this news, so the release of the news of this phone now doesn't strike me as merely a financial publicity stunt). This phone should be pretty darn impressive.

We'll see, right?! Can't wait!

/< / /2 /<

TR30

Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
I won't be getting an iPhone. Mainly because:
- it has no hardkey QWERTY keyboard
- it's not 3G (yet)
- it's Cingular (waiting for Sprint)

I'm hoping the next Treo will have:
- widescreen (w/ a sliding keyboard)
- BT 2.0
- built in WiFi
- faster proc
- and 4G/WiMax ready (if possible :))

If the next Treo continues to look like last year's technology, I'm gonna start looking elsewhere.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I'm hoping the next Treo will have:
- widescreen (w/ a sliding keyboard)
- BT 2.0
- built in WiFi
- faster proc
- and 4G/WiMax ready (if possible :))

If the next Treo continues to look like last year's technology, I'm gonna start looking elsewhere.

If the next treo is being made by Palm, it wont look anything like what you mentioned above. It will probably look exactly like the 750, but the d-pad will be a little different shape, have alittle more memory, and ofcourse Palm will claim its a huge upgrade.

byronchurch

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
You Know I will ! I'm considering selling my 680 and getting a new 650 to hold me till she arrives . I miss my 650 ,I'm sure the 680 will be a good phone ,But a brand new 650 with a 8 gig sd would be like butte'

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
oh yeah, baby. I just have to decide whether I want to buy an 8525 in the meantime so I can try out 3G (provided they get it switched on in the next few weeks as promised).

What's got me confused is why so many people are absolutely convinced the typing interface is going to be so bad. I'm a fairly decent typist, and I hit the wrong key on my Treo and more recently my 8125 all the time. With all the crazy r/d that is claimed to have gone into figuring out ways to eliminate typing errors on this device, I probably won't have any more typos with it than any other small interface.

Yep, I imagine I'll smile every time that gorgeous screen lights up!
:bow: iPhone

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
This iPhone reminds me too much of the first gen HDD iPod or the first gen iPod nano -- glorious sexy hardware that in no way can with stand more than one year of daily use.

I will consider it when a revision w 16GB memory and replacement battery come out. And I need a leather case with a HARD cover to come out first!

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I was enamored for a day, then I snapped out of it.
It was all the questions in my head that Steve obviously avoided. Its a cool phone... Just not a cool phone for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox