Whos getting an iPhone?

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
Slingplayer? How are you going to do that over 2g unless you are now saying I'll require a wifi connection. Awesome.

You forgot streaming radio, GPS, network admin, VOIP, system security, ability to add 3rd party programs.

Once again, this is a fancy multi-media phone not a smartphone as much as you want it to be.

And lack of 3g is huge considering even regular handsets have that.

see my other post on all of this:
http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=1172690&postcount=12

The RAZR does more "smartphone" things than the iPhone.

Give it time? So you can proclaim it will do all of the above without giving time but I have to wait to say it does not compete with a Treo? Sounds fair. :shake:

Below is the definition of a Smartphone per wikipedia .

A smartphone or sphone is any electronic handheld device that integrates the functionality of a mobile phone, personal digital assistant (PDA) or other information appliance. This is often achieved by adding telephone functions to an existing PDA (PDA Phone) or putting "smart" capabilities, such as PDA functions, into a mobile phone. A key feature of a smartphone is that additional native applications can be installed on the device. The applications can be developed by the manufacturer of the handheld device, by the operator or by any other third-party software developer. "Smart" functionality includes any additional interface including a miniature QWERTY keyboard, a touch screen, or even just secure access to company mail, such as is provided by a BlackBerry.

:shake: :shake:
Just because it does not have 3rd party ( which Apple has not discounted completely yet) and 3G . you think it is not a smarphone . You are trying ot lump this phone a mediaphone . I think that is incorrect . A good example of
mediaphone is Nokia N72.
Have you even seen the full length video presentation by Steve Jobs ?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Just because it does not have 3rd party ( which Apple has not discounted completely yet) and 3G . you think it is not a smarphone . You are trying ot lump this phone a mediaphone . I think that is incorrect . A good example of
mediaphone is Nokia N72.
Yes, I've seen the video.

I took a drink of beer every time Steve said "Isn't that cool?!" :p

So the question is, what makes the iPhone a smartphone? A touch screen? A qwerty keyboard? Is that it?

Because everything else: play video, play mp3s, sync calender and contacts, make calls, surf the web etc any high end cell phone can do.

On the RAZR you can have Google Maps, IM, play MP3s, sync calendar and contacts (even with a Mac calander! Sprint is infinitely easier since they did not lock down the RAZR like Verizon did...), use BT, run 3rd party software (thousands of Java apps), use A-GPS for mapping (with OnDemand), run Opera Mini...

How is that different from the iPhone? Oh, you have a touch screen and pop up keyboard. Huge difference?

Once again: What makes the iPhone a smartphone?

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
Here better internet browsing, large screen , better resolution and browser.
IMAP & POP 3 email
Google Maps .
Visual voicemail
Ichat
2 MP Camera.
I think Widgets will handle lot of other functions .
Picture in contact .

I am not sure what you are trying to prove by comparing this phone with Razor . Yes someof the stuff can be doen on Razor but on a painfully small screen like treo's .I would love to browse on large landscape mode with better resolution and browser.
Having used T300, 600, 650. I am done. I was using them as there was no otehr good alternative , but now there is. Currently using a nokia E61 for last 6 month , which will take me to June .
Read my previous posts less than 1000 , I was a big treo fan boy. Now there is something which is way better for me and lot of other people . I am excited . Palm can not compete with this one .

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
IMAP & POP 3 email
Google Maps .
Visual voicemail
Ichat
2 MP Camera.
Picture in contact .

I am not sure what you are trying to prove by comparing this phone with Razor . Yes someof the stuff can be doen on Razor but on a painfully small screen like treo's .I would love to browse on large landscape mode with better resolution and browser.
Having used T300, 600, 650. I am done. I was using them as there was no otehr good alternative , but now there is. Currently using a nokia E61 for last 6 month , which will take me to June .
Read my previous posts less than 1000 , I was a big treo fan boy. Now there is something which is way better for me and lot of other people . I am excited . Palm can not compete with this one .

ichat? You saw a different presentation and online brochure than I did, where was ichat?

stroths

Apr 16, 2006
Visit site
Once its unlocked to install 3rd party software, then it will be a smart phone. Until then, its in the same class as the razor or any other closed system phone. I see no reason why they won't enable that feature eventually, so I will term the iPhone a "Pre-Op Smartphone"

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
IMAP & POP 3 email
Google Maps .
Visual voicemail
Ichat
2 MP Camera.
Picture in contact .

Once again, you have to resort to aesthetics: smaller screen/resolution, etc.

Higher ones do not make a function but rather a "nicer experience". The phone is not any "smarter" though, you have no new function.

iChat is not available yet on the iPhone. Steve said it could be done not that is will be done.

The RAZR can run Google Mail and Google Maps. 2MP camera is found on the newer KRZR (update RAZR), same with Picture contacts.

Widgets are locked down too. Whatever they can do a Java app can do.

You've basically described a high-end cell phone.

You still cannot install software, add GPS, stream radio or video, no real PDA functions, VOIP, remote admin, etc.

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
Once its unlocked to install 3rd party software, then it will be a smart phone. Until then, its in the same class as the razor or any other closed system phone. I see no reason why they won't enable that feature eventually, so I will term the iPhone a "Pre-Op Smartphone"

Did you read the definition ,that 's not the only criteria.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Most of America? Maybe with poor Cingular. (Sprint rolled out it's first 3g device in Sep 2005...)

Wow...everyone I know with Sprint--in this area, obviously--can't wait till their contract expires so they can get the hell out. Their coverage SUCKS here. Not much point to having 3G since Sept 2005, if you drop calls all the time and have lots of dead spots. Maybe that's why I have such a hard time with many of your posts...Sprint simply is NOT an option here.

Anything else?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Wow...everyone I know with Sprint--in this area, obviously--can't wait till their contract expires so they can get the hell out. Their coverage SUCKS here. Not much point to having 3G since Sept 2005, if you drop calls all the time and have lots of dead spots. Maybe that's why I have such a hard time with many of your posts...Sprint simply is NOT an option here.

Anything else?
Obviously if Sprint is not an option than that's a non-starter.

It still doesn't excuse Apple though. The Treo 750 and Samsung Blackjack both can do HSPDA out of the box or with a software update.

What's Apple's excuse? It's a shame to have such a large screen, full browser, etc and not have that...

joele

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
:shake: :shake:
mediaphone is Nokia N72.

See previous post (to yours), Steve has said NO 3rd party...

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Obviously if Sprint is not an option that that's a non-starter.

It still doesn't excuse Apple though. The Treo 750 and Samsung Blackjack both can do HSPDA out of the box or with a software update.

What's Apple's excuse? It's a shame to have such a large screen, full browser, etc and not have that...
You're right. It is a shame to not have it. I've already checked my area and I'm not in a 3G area, except during leisure time. I'm sure it will be extended to my area soon. However, the wifi will help make that much more endurable. And what's my alternative? A Treo 700(P) with no 3G? A 750 with Windows?! I can hold out till June and make an informed decision. Who knows, maybe I'll totally hate the on-screen keypad. Considering the R&D, I would put it as a long shot.

Still, the iPhone is a "Smartphone"...Wikipedia says so :cool:

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
See previous post (to yours), Steve has said NO 3rd party...

He did not say no. From NyTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/t...d98b8686&ei=5094&partner=homepage&oref=slogin

?These are devices that need to work, and you can?t do that if you load any software on them,? he said. ?That doesn?t mean there?s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn?t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.?

Bronxboy

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
I have no doubts as to what this phone could do if Jobs crackes his a** a bit but untill then do you really want your hands tied with this? You all can do what you want but I suggest you don't take it into a board room unless you want to loose your job.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'll tell you what, had this device had the capability of HSDPA and did run full OSX and all that implies, this really would be an amazing device.

I fully understand the whole "controlled environment" thing resulting in a stable user experience, I just don't like it for myself.

That's probably why I'm so hard on the darn phone, because I thought for a brief day that this was going to be the end-all device but came away feeling let down.

Once again though, I'm sure others will greatly enjoy it.

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
"You still cannot install software, add GPS, stream radio or video, no real PDA functions, VOIP, remote admin, etc".

I do not need all these . This is all i need .

Web browsing on a bigger and better screen,
Email
Camera
Contact with Pics
Office documents .
MP3 player , occasional
Calendar contacts
Wireless syncing with my powerbook
Weather, calculator , stocks
Docs to go
Good basic phone including sound quality.

NO RESETS
You can turn your Treo into whatever or call whatever , mine had troubel doin g the basic function .

You can call iphone whatever, I think it still is smartphone and will rock the market in June .
PALM IS DEAD ........
Out of this thread. Arguing with you is not fun..

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
hey malacrap, you should really give it a rest. but if you insist on proof reading and disecting everyone's post, why not become an editor for one of the pc/phone mags? they can always use an imaginative and creative mind like your own. why spend so much of your time on us here? my lord, forget an editorial job, why not just go out and raise some capital and launch a new cell phone company of your own? or would you be afraid of what others might say about it?

:)

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
hey malacrap, you should really give it a rest. but if you insist on proof reading and disecting everyone's post, why not become an editor for one of the pc/phone mags? they can always use an imaginative and creative mind like your own. why spend so much of your time on us here? my lord, forget an editorial job, why not just go out and raise some capital and launch a new cell phone company of your own? or would you be afraid of what others might say about it?

:)
Thanks for you non-contribution to the discussion and the ad hominem attack.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77