Whos getting an iPhone?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
enjoy your 650 laguna
You sound like you're getting bitter that not everyone here is not as excited about the iPhone as yourself.

Look, I'm sure it'll be a great device just not necessarily a great device for everyone here. What's the big deal in that? If people are actually happy with their devices, why crash their parade and insult them?

Besides aesthetics (it's thinner, it is lighter, no antenna, it's so "cool looking!") I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to how it is better than a Treo e.g. what can it do more than a smartphone? Or rather, what does it offer that is so radically different? How would it make our lives more productive?

I'm willing to listen...

trellus

Oct 13, 2004
Visit site
I'm not... I'm kind of with cglaguna. It's a really cool phone, but not for me.

The rumblings in the press are that it will be closed to third-party support altogether or at least tightly controlled -- and I use my Treo 650 as a PDA almost more than as a phone, and I use a Treo *because* I don't want to have to lug a phone and a PDA separately. And I use the Treo because it has a lot of third-party software, and this includes the software I use daily: a Bible reader with several translations, including some I have paid precious $$$ for, and Ultrasoft Checkbook. I doubt without a truly open iPhone SDK that either of these apps (or similar ones which meet my needs) will show up on the iPhone which will render it a non-option for me.

It's too bad if that's true, because the one thing I don't like about my Treo is Frankengarnet and its Windows 3.1 / Mac OS 9 era technology, and I am rather convinced, given my experience with Mac OS X on my Mini, that the OS and hardware will be rock-solid, and the built-in apps will be sweet. But I need more than that in my device. :)

I am also not convinced that I could get used to the virtual keyboard, and having used real, physical keyboards on a PDA since the Treo 90, I am quite used to them. I also wonder if the iPhone will work will one-handed as my Treo does.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
You sound like you're getting bitter that not everyone here is not as excited about the iPhone as yourself.

Look, I'm sure it'll be a great device just not necessarily a great device for everyone here. What's the big deal in that? If people are actually happy with their devices, why crash their parade and insult them?

Besides aesthetics (it's thinner, it is lighter, no antenna, it's so "cool looking!") I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to how it is better than a Treo e.g. what can it do more than a smartphone? Or rather, what does it offer that is so radically different? How would it make our lives more productive?

I'm willing to listen...

i'm not bitter, just happy that another choice and alternative to the treo will soon be made available. you seem to be the one that has the problem.

enjoy your 700wx pal

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
if they offer it with a 30day return policy then mark me down for at least one, absolutely. will make a great secondary device if not a primary one, for me!

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
i'm not bitter, just happy that another choice and alternative to the treo will soon be made available. you seem to be the one that has the problem.

enjoy your 700wx pal
But it's not an alternative to the Treo, that's the point some of us are trying to stress here and that you are ducking.

Maybe an alternative "multimedia phone" in the generic sense but unless you are using the Treo in it's barest form, it is far from an alternative:

- no Outlook synching
- no Word, PowerPoint, Excel viewing, let alone editing
- no GPS
- no IM (yet)
- no 3g
- no Slingbox
- no VOIP (Skype or Google Talk)
- no choice in networks (locked/exclusive)
- no 3rd party apps (in the traditional form/may change later, maybe not)
- no replaceable battery
- no internet radio

Now, if you don't need any of the above that is totally fine but it begs the question: why are you using a Treo in the first place?

I still ask the question: besides aesthetics (bigger screen, pretty UI, thinner, etc.), what can it do better than a smartphone?

Once again, this is not to take away from anything the iPhone may or may not be but it is people like yourself who are intent on trying to push the argument that this is a "treo killer", not I.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Another cause for worry, apart from no keys, no 3G etc, is how long will it last physically...

I have an iPod..I use it maybe once a week i.e. not at work, not at home where I have a stereo - so maybe gym, walking, travelling by car...

Now with an Mp3 player I just load a playlist and voila...I don't touch it more than a few times unless I want to adjust volume or change a playlist...

PHONES otoh I use all the time..make a call several times an hour depending on what's happening. Can a touchscreen hold up to this for two years (given that's the contract length I suppose the parts start giving out by then)??

I don't know about any of you but I have never seen truly scratch-resistant screens unless they're using bulletproof glass (which also scratches)...it'll be smart to wait and see what consumers say by October after having the phone for a few months....the nano is still fresh in the mind!
I love the idea of touchscreen - looked quite cool in Minority report when Tom Cruise was using it eh figured Jobs watched that alright!- but is it practical for the kind of use it's being put to in the long term?!

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
if they offer it with a 30day return policy then mark me down for at least one, absolutely. will make a great secondary device if not a primary one, for me!

So you are going to Switch sim cards back and forth? That is practical... Back in the day Treo users were the ones who were tired of carrying around a pda, phone, and text pagers, later we integrated our cameras, music and a slew of other products. To me, this appears to be going backwards.

For all of us, other than Wifi and visual voicemail, what feature is new?
But it is missing a huge number of features we have already.

I respect your opinion, I am posting from my Mac right now, the iphone has potential and flash factor... unless the flash is the reason for buying it, there is no real draw.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
So you are going to Switch sim cards back and forth? That is practical... Back in the day Treo users were the ones who were tired of carrying around a pda, phone, and text pagers, later we integrated our cameras, music and a slew of other products. To me, this appears to be going backwards.

For all of us, other than Wifi and visual voicemail, what feature is new?
But it is missing a huge number of features we have already.

I respect your opinion, I am posting from my Mac right now, the iphone has potential and flash factor... unless the flash is the reason for buying it, there is no real draw.
Well, I can appreciate that, fellow Mac user. I see you're thinking of going to a 750. How well will that work with your Mac? Will you be going Missing Sync? Have you tried the WM and like it? I've tried my friend's and I guess you can't really get a feel for one in an hour, but I just didn't like it. Personally, I love the idea of a seemless sync of all my data. The one thing I'm trying to figure out is how I'm going to get along without SplashID. I simply love it.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

no, i'm just going to afford myself another line, because i can. i hope this answers your real concern and question.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Well, I can appreciate that, fellow Mac user. I see you're thinking of going to a 750. How well will that work with your Mac? Will you be going Missing Sync? Have you tried the WM and like it? I've tried my friend's and I guess you can't really get a feel for one in an hour, but I just didn't like it. Personally, I love the idea of a seemless sync of all my data. The one thing I'm trying to figure out is how I'm going to get along without SplashID. I simply love it.

Honestly I am a new Mac user. I have been looking at the OS for awhile from afar, I thought I would try it. My first computer was an Apple IIc, and went PC after that... I was a computer major and the Macs from the 90's in my opinion were horrid by design, the company I went to work for was all Mac. I convinced them to go all Dell and it has been that way for 10 years, without regret...

In the last few years I have relooked at Macs and they are pretty appealing. i do part time video editing (Avid) right now and am semi pro photographer.. So I have been interested in at least trying one.

I was going to jump in with a full featured Macbook Pro 2.33mhz 2GB but chickened out at the last minute cuz of the $2300 price tag.

Found online a new Macbook 2.0 Duo/superdrive for $699. Decided to play with that for a while before I plunge a bunch of money down.

With 3 Pc's at home including home theatre pc, and 2 pc laptops, I have not considered trying to sync the Treo with the Mac. I am hoping for OTA sync for any phone in my future.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
But it's not an alternative to the Treo, that's the point some of us are trying to stress here and that you are ducking.

Maybe an alternative "multimedia phone" in the generic sense but unless you are using the Treo in it's barest form, it is far from an alternative:

- no Outlook synching
- no GPS
- no IM (yet)
- no 3g
- no Slingbox
- no replaceable battery
- no internet radio

Now, if you don't need any of the above that is totally fine but it begs the question: why are you using a Treo in the first place?

I still ask the question: besides aesthetics (bigger screen, pretty UI, thinner, etc.), what can it do better than a smartphone?

Once again, this is not to take away from anything the iPhone may or may not be but it is people like yourself who are intent on trying to push the argument that this is a "treo killer", not I.

alternative, option, choice, extension, replacement, compliment....it's whatever i want it to be. i'm not ducking anything, and never said it was a treo killer. do i really need to explain my device needs to you? i've owned everything from treos to blackberries to ppc's/slideouts, because i can, because corporate america makes these choices available to us as consumers. like i've said in many other posts, half of the people in this place and those who you see walking around with treos don't really even need them but they own them nonetheless. i don't care what you use your phone for, not sure why you're so worried and concerned about my needs. and it's not what the iphone can do better than the treo but what the treo and palm do not have. it's all in the eye of the beholder, and i'll enjoy whatever it is that i see in it that you can't or don't.

you're a gem

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
do i really need to explain my device needs to you?
Of course you don't! And no one is trying to dissuade anyone from buying the iPhone. Just about everyone here agrees it's an awesome multimedia device but not necessarily a smartphone in the traditional sense.

But when you say such things as

the treos out of the box (with the exception of the raised keyboard) will do not much more than the i-phone. why? because given the osx platform available to them and the like, they'd be crazy not to include the more popular pda feature set. they will have what it takes to develop a solid and well thought out device.

apple is thinking in the right way. palm is not.
die hards (or is it blow-hards) will always remain. and remember, there aren't as many as you think. this whole power user thing is freakin' nonsense.

i'm still waiting for all of the Treo power users and Treo die-hards to chime in...they've been awful quiet with the exception of "the keyboard issue" and "EDGE being so slow."

where are all of the supporters?
even as an owner of a brand spanking new 750c.....what does it have that i like? a raised keyboard. anything else? not really. a brick is a brick is a brick.

...Forgive me if I actually want to respond and address those comments and feel that you may be making out the iPhone more than it is. :hmm:

Treolo

Mar 10, 2000
Visit site
Palm has till June to come out with a wide-screen Treo with a better OS and at least 4GB of space. In the case that they keep making the same Treo with minor cosmetic changes I will have to seriously consider the iPhone. However, I don't want to leave Sprint. Therefore, the day Sprint comes out with an iPhone with a 16GB hard drive I will be the first in line to get this baby. After so many years of been a loyal Palm geek I'm willing to go to Apple. At least I never went to the dark side (Win Mobile)

Al

Mtreosexual

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site

- no Outlook synching
- no GPS
- no IM (yet)
- no 3g
- no Slingbox
- no replaceable battery
- no internet radio

Oh Gosh,
The phone was just announced . Do you think DOCs to GO will sit and not make a version for this bad boy or other wise apple would not make an app to open word document or excel for that matter? Similarly Outlook syncing ?
Slingbox will come as the phone comes,for sure by the end of the year .
People will find a way to unlock this bad boy and than T mo users will come .
3G is the only issue , however if wifi is that frequently available , i atleast do n't care about 3G .
You may or may not need that much battery life . I bet the charger is going to be small and easy to carry .
In other words give the phone sometime .;)

Bronxboy

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
To quote Iuliu Blaga of Playfuls.com

"the disadvantages:

- legal battle over name with Cisco's Linksys. Computerworld says: "An Apple executive told PC World that because the Cisco iPhone is a voice over IP (VoIP) phone and the Apple iPhone is a cell phone, Apple is not violating Cisco's trademark." But Cisco has another opinion on the matter. ?Today?s iPhone is not tomorrow?s iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand,? said Mark Chandler, senior vice president and general counsel, Cisco.

- price: $499 for entry level (4GB) and $599 (6 GB) for premium version (you can buy the premium version of PS3 for $600)
- locked on Cingular GSM networks (this also means no access to faster CDMA-2000 internet connectivity); also not compatible with GSM's latest 3G network. "Cingular executives I've spoken with say they anticipate people will change (mobile phone) carriers so they can buy an iPhone -- I doubt that," says Sascha Segan, chief mobile phone analyst for PC Computing Magazine. "People choose call carriers on (cell-phone) coverage, call quality and price -- not device."
- quality issues (some analysts are questioning if iPhone will be able to resist to scratches and drops, as an usual phone is)
- on-screen keyboard may be hard to use (hard to type on such a small surface with your thumbs)
- it?s still unclear it will support third party applications, and Steve Jobs suggested it won?t: ?We define everything that is on the phone,? Jobs said. ?You don?t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn?t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.?

Jobs said Apple plans to sell 10 million units by end of 2008. Many can't see that happening in real life, although it's almost certain people will line up in June when the iPhone (or whatever its name is going to be then) will hit the shelves. Apple also promised it's going to work hard on improvements before the product is going on the market.

I guess it comes down to whether you think the iPhone's unquestionable innovations outweigh its flaws. It remains to be seen if iPhone will follow the iPod in sales. What I can say for sure at this moment is that is certain iPhone will secure a certain niche of buyers, especially among Mac users."

In addition lets not forget about DRM and the battery since its non removable. you can't just pop in another when one goes dead or malfunctions.The I phone also does not accept SD cards and 6GB is your limit. not bad for a phone but we treo users already have 8GB.

"You don?t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn?t work anymore"????? This is why Microsoft whooped your a** Jobs. We all want smaller pc's with built in phones. Nobody wants to lug around laptops anymore when they don't need too.

CGK#IM

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
Palm has till June to come out with a wide-screen Treo with a better OS and at least 4GB of space.

Al

Hum - I really don't see that happening - what is more likely is that you get a new treo XXX with go-faster stripes and they claim it's a "major upgrade".

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Mtreo,

your out of your mind if you think there will be a slingplayer version available by the end of the year. I doubt steve will ever allow a competing video format on this device. Also the makes of docs to go would need to have permission and access to a sdk before they could create anything.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73