I'm a huge Apple fan & user (and that's the main reason I haven't gone with a Treo 7xx -- no Windows Mobile for me, thanks). So, I'll be looking at getting an iPhone (barring huge problems) as soon as it's available. In the meantime, I've certainly been enjoying my Palm-based 650.

As for the whole no-third-party-software thing, what does that mean? Software by third parties is always being written for the Mac. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to upgrade/update the iPhone with third party goodies. But, isn't this conversation putting the cart before the horse a bit here? I'd imagine that the software for this phone will be spectacular right out of the box. Apple software (and hardware) and UI is what makes Apple fans such big fans.

Also, if you're a Mac user, then you already know how often Apple puts out software updates that are a piece of cake to install. I'd think that this phone would be engineered in such a way that updating the software on this phone would be just as easy (at least a lot less daunting than it has been/can be updating the Treo base software). That being said, I don't know enough about computer/phone & software architecture to be sure about -- I'm simply considering Apple's past way of doing things.

I'm really looking forward to this phone. The idea of such an Apple product has been rumored for long time now, leading me to believe that this has been in the works and testing for a REALLY long time. I would think that Apple is bringing the phone out now because it's finally ready now (Apple's stock price has been quite high lately PRIOR to the release of this news, so the release of the news of this phone now doesn't strike me as merely a financial publicity stunt). This phone should be pretty darn impressive.

We'll see, right?! Can't wait!

/< / /2 /<
    01-10-2007 10:54 AM
    I won't be getting an iPhone. Mainly because:
    - it has no hardkey QWERTY keyboard
    - it's not 3G (yet)
    - it's Cingular (waiting for Sprint)

I'm hoping the next Treo will have:
    - widescreen (w/ a sliding keyboard)
    - BT 2.0
    - built in WiFi
    - faster proc
    - and 4G/WiMax ready (if possible )

If the next Treo continues to look like last year's technology, I'm gonna start looking elsewhere.
    01-11-2007 04:37 PM
    I'm hoping the next Treo will have:
    - widescreen (w/ a sliding keyboard)
    - BT 2.0
    - built in WiFi
    - faster proc
    - and 4G/WiMax ready (if possible )

If the next Treo continues to look like last year's technology, I'm gonna start looking elsewhere.
    If the next treo is being made by Palm, it wont look anything like what you mentioned above. It will probably look exactly like the 750, but the d-pad will be a little different shape, have alittle more memory, and ofcourse Palm will claim its a huge upgrade.
    01-11-2007 04:52 PM
    And then there are those of us with devices that are stable. What a dang shame.

Ben
    01-11-2007 07:58 PM
    I am buying one .......
    01-11-2007 11:46 PM
    Put me down for one.
    01-11-2007 11:56 PM
    I will be purchasing one of these beauties, yes indeed.
    01-12-2007 12:29 AM
    You Know I will ! I'm considering selling my 680 and getting a new 650 to hold me till she arrives . I miss my 650 ,I'm sure the 680 will be a good phone ,But a brand new 650 with a 8 gig sd would be like butte'
    01-12-2007 04:16 AM
    oh yeah, baby. I just have to decide whether I want to buy an 8525 in the meantime so I can try out 3G (provided they get it switched on in the next few weeks as promised).

What's got me confused is why so many people are absolutely convinced the typing interface is going to be so bad. I'm a fairly decent typist, and I hit the wrong key on my Treo and more recently my 8125 all the time. With all the crazy r/d that is claimed to have gone into figuring out ways to eliminate typing errors on this device, I probably won't have any more typos with it than any other small interface.

Yep, I imagine I'll smile every time that gorgeous screen lights up!
    :bow: iPhone
    01-12-2007 08:25 AM
    Count me in for one as well.
    01-12-2007 12:12 PM
    I am byuing at least one. Unfortunately I have to wait til December since I'm in Europe....
    01-12-2007 01:19 PM
    I'll wait for the iFon 2.0 before forking over $600+200/mo.
    01-12-2007 03:50 PM
    iPhone, you will be mine.
    01-12-2007 04:58 PM
    This iPhone reminds me too much of the first gen HDD iPod or the first gen iPod nano -- glorious sexy hardware that in no way can with stand more than one year of daily use.

I will consider it when a revision w 16GB memory and replacement battery come out. And I need a leather case with a HARD cover to come out first!
    01-12-2007 10:03 PM
    I was enamored for a day, then I snapped out of it.
    It was all the questions in my head that Steve obviously avoided. Its a cool phone... Just not a cool phone for me.
    01-12-2007 10:12 PM
    enjoy your 650 laguna
    01-12-2007 11:34 PM
    enjoy your 650 laguna
    You sound like you're getting bitter that not everyone here is not as excited about the iPhone as yourself.

Look, I'm sure it'll be a great device just not necessarily a great device for everyone here. What's the big deal in that? If people are actually happy with their devices, why crash their parade and insult them?

Besides aesthetics (it's thinner, it is lighter, no antenna, it's so "cool looking!") I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to how it is better than a Treo e.g. what can it do more than a smartphone? Or rather, what does it offer that is so radically different? How would it make our lives more productive?

I'm willing to listen...
    01-13-2007 02:27 AM
    I'm not... I'm kind of with cglaguna. It's a really cool phone, but not for me.

The rumblings in the press are that it will be closed to third-party support altogether or at least tightly controlled -- and I use my Treo 650 as a PDA almost more than as a phone, and I use a Treo *because* I don't want to have to lug a phone and a PDA separately. And I use the Treo because it has a lot of third-party software, and this includes the software I use daily: a Bible reader with several translations, including some I have paid precious $$$ for, and Ultrasoft Checkbook. I doubt without a truly open iPhone SDK that either of these apps (or similar ones which meet my needs) will show up on the iPhone which will render it a non-option for me.

It's too bad if that's true, because the one thing I don't like about my Treo is Frankengarnet and its Windows 3.1 / Mac OS 9 era technology, and I am rather convinced, given my experience with Mac OS X on my Mini, that the OS and hardware will be rock-solid, and the built-in apps will be sweet. But I need more than that in my device.

I am also not convinced that I could get used to the virtual keyboard, and having used real, physical keyboards on a PDA since the Treo 90, I am quite used to them. I also wonder if the iPhone will work will one-handed as my Treo does.
    01-13-2007 02:42 AM
    You sound like you're getting bitter that not everyone here is not as excited about the iPhone as yourself.

Look, I'm sure it'll be a great device just not necessarily a great device for everyone here. What's the big deal in that? If people are actually happy with their devices, why crash their parade and insult them?

Besides aesthetics (it's thinner, it is lighter, no antenna, it's so "cool looking!") I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to how it is better than a Treo e.g. what can it do more than a smartphone? Or rather, what does it offer that is so radically different? How would it make our lives more productive?

I'm willing to listen...
    i'm not bitter, just happy that another choice and alternative to the treo will soon be made available. you seem to be the one that has the problem.

enjoy your 700wx pal
    01-13-2007 09:26 AM
    if they offer it with a 30day return policy then mark me down for at least one, absolutely. will make a great secondary device if not a primary one, for me!
    01-13-2007 09:29 AM
    i'm not bitter, just happy that another choice and alternative to the treo will soon be made available. you seem to be the one that has the problem.

enjoy your 700wx pal
    But it's not an alternative to the Treo, that's the point some of us are trying to stress here and that you are ducking.

Maybe an alternative "multimedia phone" in the generic sense but unless you are using the Treo in it's barest form, it is far from an alternative:

- no Outlook synching
    - no Word, PowerPoint, Excel viewing, let alone editing
    - no GPS
    - no IM (yet)
    - no 3g
    - no Slingbox
    - no VOIP (Skype or Google Talk)
    - no choice in networks (locked/exclusive)
    - no 3rd party apps (in the traditional form/may change later, maybe not)
    - no replaceable battery
    - no internet radio

Now, if you don't need any of the above that is totally fine but it begs the question: why are you using a Treo in the first place?

I still ask the question: besides aesthetics (bigger screen, pretty UI, thinner, etc.), what can it do better than a smartphone?

Once again, this is not to take away from anything the iPhone may or may not be but it is people like yourself who are intent on trying to push the argument that this is a "treo killer", not I.
    01-13-2007 11:14 AM
    Another cause for worry, apart from no keys, no 3G etc, is how long will it last physically...

I have an iPod..I use it maybe once a week i.e. not at work, not at home where I have a stereo - so maybe gym, walking, travelling by car...

Now with an Mp3 player I just load a playlist and voila...I don't touch it more than a few times unless I want to adjust volume or change a playlist...

PHONES otoh I use all the time..make a call several times an hour depending on what's happening. Can a touchscreen hold up to this for two years (given that's the contract length I suppose the parts start giving out by then)??

I don't know about any of you but I have never seen truly scratch-resistant screens unless they're using bulletproof glass (which also scratches)...it'll be smart to wait and see what consumers say by October after having the phone for a few months....the nano is still fresh in the mind!
    I love the idea of touchscreen - looked quite cool in Minority report when Tom Cruise was using it eh figured Jobs watched that alright!- but is it practical for the kind of use it's being put to in the long term?!
    01-13-2007 11:28 AM
    if they offer it with a 30day return policy then mark me down for at least one, absolutely. will make a great secondary device if not a primary one, for me!
    So you are going to Switch sim cards back and forth? That is practical... Back in the day Treo users were the ones who were tired of carrying around a pda, phone, and text pagers, later we integrated our cameras, music and a slew of other products. To me, this appears to be going backwards.

For all of us, other than Wifi and visual voicemail, what feature is new?
    But it is missing a huge number of features we have already.

I respect your opinion, I am posting from my Mac right now, the iphone has potential and flash factor... unless the flash is the reason for buying it, there is no real draw.
    01-13-2007 11:42 AM
    So you are going to Switch sim cards back and forth? That is practical... Back in the day Treo users were the ones who were tired of carrying around a pda, phone, and text pagers, later we integrated our cameras, music and a slew of other products. To me, this appears to be going backwards.

For all of us, other than Wifi and visual voicemail, what feature is new?
    But it is missing a huge number of features we have already.

I respect your opinion, I am posting from my Mac right now, the iphone has potential and flash factor... unless the flash is the reason for buying it, there is no real draw.
    Well, I can appreciate that, fellow Mac user. I see you're thinking of going to a 750. How well will that work with your Mac? Will you be going Missing Sync? Have you tried the WM and like it? I've tried my friend's and I guess you can't really get a feel for one in an hour, but I just didn't like it. Personally, I love the idea of a seemless sync of all my data. The one thing I'm trying to figure out is how I'm going to get along without SplashID. I simply love it.
    01-13-2007 12:19 PM
    no, i'm just going to afford myself another line, because i can. i hope this answers your real concern and question.
    01-13-2007 12:31 PM
134 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD