iPhone: the phone which will out-Treo the Treo

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site
iphone

Apple announced the iPhone today, and it's brilliant (no, I don't work for them or own their stock -- though the latter may soon change). They waited a long time to bring this out because they wanted it to be perfect. It's awfully early to say, but it sure looks close: bombproof OSX (which means full Address Book, iCal, etc.), fantastic interface, brilliantly thought-out design in every respect (watch the little films on the site: http://www.apple.com/iphone/). Everything that makes the iPod the gold standard in music players and more.

I switched to Macs five years ago and wouldn't go back to Windows at gunpoint. The day this phone comes out, I'll say goodbye to Palm. I've loved my 180, my 650, and my 680, but the iPhone will be to everything else what the Treo has been: a better, more powerful tool. And it will be supported by a company that gets how important the relationship with the customer is.

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site
Yeah, well, ignore great stuff at your own expense, and enjoy your Zune. $600 is for an 8G phone ($500 for 4G) that has brilliant design and features no one else has -- what does one pay for a Treo plus an 8G card, to end up with Palm software that was written in the 1700's, and Palm-quality support? My first Treo was expensive compared to everything else on the market ($500, if I'm not mistaken) -- and I paid it because it was worth it.

Watch Palm's sales and stock price plummet between June and next December, when the only phone anyone wants for Christmas is this one.

stringbeanie

Nov 17, 2004
Visit site
enjoy your Zune. $600 is for an 8G phone ($500 for 4G) that has brilliant design and features no one else has .......

......including a non-replaceable battery. Who ever heard of a cell phone without a removable battery. Jobs totally lost me there!:shake:

RICHINMJ

May 28, 2004
Visit site
Yeah, well, ignore great stuff at your own expense, and enjoy your Zune. $600 is for an 8G phone ($500 for 4G) that has brilliant design and features no one else has -- what does one pay for a Treo plus an 8G card, to end up with Palm software that was written in the 1700's, and Palm-quality support? My first Treo was expensive compared to everything else on the market ($500, if I'm not mistaken) -- and I paid it because it was worth it.

Watch Palm's sales and stock price plummet between June and next December, when the only phone anyone wants for Christmas is this one.

TREO is my ipod, my tv, phone, internet, pen, video player, modem, game player, calculator, xm radio, camera, alarm clock, organizer, instant messenger, business document reader and alarm clock. With a SERO plan on Sprint and a company discount I pay $33 a month (tax included) for 500 minutes, unlimited data, instant messaging, free nights and weekends etc etc. No iphone will ever beat that.

Keefer Lucas

Feb 8, 2001
Visit site
The key element that is missing from the discussion is that the smartphone market - including Treos, the Q, Dash, etc, etc are recognized as BUSINESS TOOLS. The biggest hurdle that Apple needs to overcome are corporate purchasing managers. To put it simply - my company pays for my Treo or any other "business class" cell/organizer product. I can tell you that the boys in accounting are NOT going to be reimbursing ANYONE in our organization who wants an iPhone. So, for me the choice would be a Treo for NOTHING versus $500/$600 of my own money for the iPhone. I don't see that happening...

toofgoo

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
TREO is my ipod, my tv, phone, internet, pen, video player, modem, game player, calculator, xm radio, camera, alarm clock, organizer, instant messenger, business document reader and alarm clock. With a SERO plan on Sprint and a company discount I pay $33 a month (tax included) for 500 minutes, unlimited data, instant messaging, free nights and weekends etc etc. No iphone will ever beat that.

Fanboys Unite!

ipod? you can't be serious...just because it will play mp3's doesn't mean it does it as well

your tv? yeah, Sprint's mobile tv is incredible...come on

And, I'll take that bet that "no iphone will ever beat that". Give it time, fanboy...give it time

RICHINMJ

May 28, 2004
Visit site
:bow:
The key element that is missing from the discussion is that the smartphone market - including Treos, the Q, Dash, etc, etc are recognized as BUSINESS TOOLS. The biggest hurdle that Apple needs to overcome are corporate purchasing managers. To put it simply - my company pays for my Treo or any other "business class" cell/organizer product. I can tell you that the boys in accounting are NOT going to be reimbursing ANYONE in our organization who wants an iPhone. So, for me the choice would be a Treo for NOTHING versus $500/$600 of my own money for the iPhone. I don't see that happening...

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site

Oooh, a calculator! An alarm clock! Mos' def!

Er, 3.5" screen...160 pixels per inch...internet like you've never seen it and never will on Treo. Watch, watch the movie before you extol the virtues of the horse and buggy...

I'm a Treo guy since the 180, mind you. And iPhone will trump the Treo.

RICHINMJ

May 28, 2004
Visit site
Fanboys Unite!

ipod? you can't be serious...just because it will play mp3's doesn't mean it does it as well

your tv? yeah, Sprint's mobile tv is incredible...come on

And, I'll take that bet that "no iphone will ever beat that". Give it time, fanboy...give it time

Sling box my friend makes for good TV, free after initial investment. XM radio is great and I have no complaints with my unlimited updates of pocket tunes that I have had since the TREO 600 days. TREO does mp3 fine. I give you the fact that ipod's storage can hold 10 million songs. That comes in handy when you have 12 years to listen to them all.

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site

That retardation is widespread doesn't make it genius. If the boys in accounting weren't so terrified of learning something new (hm, sounds familiar...), they wouldn't be writing so many checks to service a computer network that crashes all the time and is constantly being infiltrated, to great expense, by virii. I bought an A8 instead of a Taurus -- it was my own money, and lots more of it, but hey, I have to do the driving. Why suffer bad design? To save a few bucks? No thanks.

toofgoo

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Sling box my friend makes for good TV, free after initial investment. XM radio is great and I have no complaints with my unlimited updates of pocket tunes that I have had since the TREO 600 days. TREO does mp3 fine. I give you the fact that ipod's storage can hold 10 million songs. That comes in handy when you have 12 years to listen to them all.

Wait, wait, wait....I thought we were comparing device to device....I didn't realize you were counting other companies and their technology....a al Slingbox (and "free after initial investment"?? come on, you even had to chuckle typing that)

I've already seen the widgets for XM and Siri on the iphone

And, yes, I was speaking of storage...to a point...but more importantly the ability to dock to other devices....play with real headphones (don't give me your adapter mumbojumbo)....alarm clock...calculator...yeah, they have that tooo

Listen...I've had a Treo a loooong time...probably longer than you. Palm does not innovate, at least no longer. I've held this and used it. Trust me when I say that, as a "power user" it blows the Treo and any WM5 device out of the water.

Here's my question...why such the devotion to Palm? Why would you immediately say its ****e and not even want to try or even accept that some, if not all, could be better.....

.....wait a minute!!! Ed!! is that you????

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
So this model of iPhon has shortcomings. So what. I have an original iPod and a Nano. Look at the difference. Apple will make it sweeter next time through.

toofgoo

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
800 TREO CENTRAL members with a combined post count of 1,523 can't be wrong. The iphone is a gift from God.

Oh...you're trying to be funny. That's cute.

Here's a better way:

"1 TREO CENTRAL fanboy with a combined post count of 1,247 can't be wrong. The iphone is trash."

See? Now THAT'S funny.

Keep trying, you'll get it.

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
And iPhone will trump the Treo.

for you it might trump the treo.

like i said in another thread, i love the screen. if it had a real kb i might be joining you. even at the $1000 it will cost me to probably get an unlocked one so that i can use it on t-mo.

ok, maybe not $1000.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711