iPhone: the phone which will out-Treo the Treo

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
I love the iPhone because it will force Palm to respond in 07 instead of 09.

On an aside, when Marc says that Palm isn't standing still, that means more than anyone else on this forum saying that. I think (hope?) that Chatter will be bundled with the next Treo device (no reason it shouldn't be and I've emailed Palm several times pleading for it), and I wouldn't be surprised (if I'm right) if Marc knew about and was incorporating features right now for the "Next Big Thing". Just a wild guess, but it just makes so much sense to bundle the best POS app with the Treo.

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
Question is can Palm respond. That iphone is alot to live up to. and Palm hasn't been raking in the dough as of late. Take a look at the stock chart....and Palm was down another 6% today...hmmm wonder why?

2n6s0ex.jpg

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
for you it might trump the treo.

like i said in another thread, i love the screen. if it had a real kb i might be joining you. even at the $1000 it will cost me to probably get an unlocked one so that i can use it on t-mo.

ok, maybe not $1000.

Aren't they selling them at Apple stores also? I read that on one of the sites today...

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
i like pogue, but i wouldnt call him a treo admirer.

I'll wait for mossberg to chime in. i want to see what he feels about the KB.
I can tell you're definitely keyed-in on the keyboard...pun intended.

With all of the benefits of the package, I'm hoping the keyboard is at least workable to me, but I'm willing to bet it'll be better. Steve doesn't suffer mediocrity.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i like pogue, but i wouldnt call him a treo admirer.

I'll wait for mossberg to chime in. i want to see what he feels about the KB.

What is it that you think Mossberg does that users on this board don't?

He is nothing but a writer coupled with his opinion. You think his uses put a device through its paces better than any of us?

bah! mossberg is weak

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
I can tell you're definitely keyed-in on the keyboard...pun intended.

With all of the benefits of the package, I'm hoping the keyboard is at least workable to me, but I'm willing to bet it'll be better. Steve doesn't suffer mediocrity.

That is exactly why the keyboard is a non-issue for me at this point. No 3G, THAT might be an issue, though it might not. There's a LOT of cool stuff going on here that makes me question whether faster download speeds than I'm used to are worth sacrificing all that cool iPhone drool fest stuff. After all, I'm used to my current EDGE speeds, and don't find them painfully annoying - this thing STILL isn't my computer, which is where I prefer surfing. With super fast WiFi, well, that takes the sting out a little, too.

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
Perry,

I know Palm's 07 pipeline is a done deal, but there's reason to believe we might get something revolutionary. Treo prices are dropping-even Palm can acknowledge that. And Ed did say the NBT will be available in 07. I HOPE that's not the LifeDrive, but who knows? Also, weren't there hints that this NBT will run a full desktop OS?

I'm not sure Palm can successfully deliver the NBT anyway, but we'll know soon. The urgency level just got a LOT higher obviously.

Keefer Lucas

Feb 8, 2001
Visit site
That retardation is widespread doesn't make it genius. If the boys in accounting weren't so terrified of learning something new (hm, sounds familiar...), they wouldn't be writing so many checks to service a computer network that crashes all the time...

You can go ahead and tell that to the guys who write the checks and see how far it gets you. I'm guessing they won't make the payments on your A8 either, even though you drive it to work...

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
What is it that you think Mossberg does that users on this board don't?

He is nothing but a writer coupled with his opinion. You think his uses put a device through its paces better than any of us?

bah! mossberg is weak

Mossberg is the tech writer for the wall street jounal.

I say he has a little more influence than anybody writing here.

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site
You can go ahead and tell that to the guys who write the checks and see how far it gets you. I'm guessing they won't make the payments on your A8 either, even though you drive it to work...

I'm not sure I understand the appeal of this logic: "If the company, in all its Flat Earth wisdom, won't pay for it, I won't have it in my life!"

To me a car and a PDA phone are very similar: they're both devices I use all day long for a lot of different aspects of my life. If if one version is much better designed, better built, and better at what it does, I want that one, and for good reason: I use it all day long. Having a bad tool makes me frown. Having a great tool makes me smile. I likes to smile.

To me the object of life is not avoiding ever letting anything escape from my wallet into the sunshine. It's having a great life. Using good gear is part of that.

I use a Mac in my business life, too. Is it a hassle? Not at all. Was it difficult to make the transition? No, because they've organized the whole company around making things intuitive and easy (see iPod, OSX). Has one ever crashed on me in the five years I've been doing it? Not once. Do I get quick, intelligent phone support for it on the rare occasions when I need it? Yup. Do I pay a little extra for all these privileges? Gladly. And though this is impossible to quantify, I'm sure I make it back ten times over -- in life enjoyment, in not spending time pulling out my hair over bad software and mysterious malfunctions, in not spending countless hours on tech support calls.

All these are the same conversation to me. I'm happy to exchange a little money for a better tool, every time. iPhone costs a little more but has a much bigger screen, a user interface and functionality that is a quantum leap beyond that of my (beloved, I remind you!) Treo, full page web browsing instead of the virtually useless WAP, free push email, vastly longer battery life, etc. etc. etc.? Sold, to the man with the smile on his face.:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711