It's a shame we have do this on the web instead of with a big orange crayon like you seem to require: Killing the messenger doesn't kill the message, which is that...

...Apple just made something that will make all our Treos look like second rate gear. Even yours. Even though you post a lot. Even though you gots a calcumalator and alarm clockification on your phone!
    "calcumalator" and "alarm clockification"...BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

I loved it!

ED!!! I'm up to 40!!!
    01-09-2007 09:01 PM
    Are you on or willing to go Cingular for that device?
    A real question? Yes. I have no loyalty to carriers. None. Sprint...Horrible. Verizon....Horrible. ATTWS....Horrible. Come on, they all really, really suck, so I go to whoever has what I want.

And, really, Cingular will be ATTWS again in a few short months, so what does that matter?

Go to SprintUsers and read the horror stories...or HOFO for Cingular/Verizon/TMOB....come on, they are all the same
    01-09-2007 09:04 PM
    Again I ask. You willing to go to Cingular for all that?
    01-09-2007 09:05 PM
    Again I ask. You willing to go to Cingular for all that?
    I answered. I would. If it meant that they have something I want that others dont...Why stay with Sprint just because they have the Treo?

I don't exclusively buy Ford or Chevy...I like what other makers have and buy their cars...same thing
    01-09-2007 09:07 PM
    Toofgoo

Obviously you missed my $33/month tax included for 500 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text messaging, free nights and weekends, free roaming, free sprint to sprint and insurance post.
    01-09-2007 09:11 PM
    What some of you are forgetting is that Palm is not standing still, no matter how it may appear.

Marc
    01-09-2007 09:17 PM
    Time will tell, time will tell.

Innovation and competition in the field will make us all better off.

Myself, iFind the iPhone iNtriguing. However, I am a Sprint/Palm die hard. My Palm's functionality and software library have grown with me over 10 years. I would want to place all that functionality and software into a new device.

1st Strike (transfer of 10 years of software and productivity habits)

I have 1,000 minutes, free roaming, free Powervision $20 plan, free 6pm nights, free 500 text messages, free mobile to mobile , et ecetera . . . . . . for $35 monthly, plus $6 for equipment protection equals $41.

2nd Strike (Cost of new plan at a new carrier) ($480 to $600 more a year just on data.)

I have over 300 RealPlayer songs bought since my Palm Tungsten days. Is iTunes going to replace them?

Strike 2.5

The iPhone (if performance pans out as promised) will carve out a significant market and move the market forward, as well. Will I have one soon? Probably not, but I am glad it came to market.

Cheers, Perry.

As always, a well put, not antagonistic comment to elevate the subject.
    01-09-2007 09:27 PM
    What some of you are forgetting is that Palm is not standing still, no matter how it may appear.

Marc
    No offense, but I just replaced a two year old 650 with a 680 that has the same stodgy, crappy software and a much lamer battery. If that's not standing still, it's, well, ambling. Gently. On Seconal.
    01-09-2007 09:28 PM
    Why did you change from a 650 to 680 then?
    01-09-2007 09:30 PM
    Why did you change from a 650 to 680 then?
    Because I carry my Treo in my front pocket, and the 680 lost some weight and the external antenna.
    01-09-2007 09:36 PM
    Sounds reasonable, expensive but what the hell. But soon it will be time to scrape up the $600 for the iphone, $200 to get out of your current contract and increase your monthly charges to boot. Sure the iphone is cool but is it that cool.
    01-09-2007 09:42 PM
    Sounds reasonable, expensive but what the hell. But soon it will be time to scrape up the $600 for the iphone, $200 to get out of your current contract and increase your monthly charges to boot. Sure the iphone is cool but is it that cool.
    Take an hour to educate yourself. Watch the scrolling contacts, the full page web browser, the Google Maps function. Watch it all. Or, for a quick earful from David Pogue, a Treo admirer, go here. Or look at what happened to Apple's stock price today.

Then you tell me. I think it's a quantum leap.
    01-09-2007 09:50 PM
    Take an hour to educate yourself. Watch the scrolling contacts, the full page web browser, the Google Maps function. Watch it all. Or, for a quick earful from David Pogue, a Treo admirer, go here. Or look at what happened to Apple's stock price today.

I did look at the stock price. Its in my portfolio. Mostly why I was up on a down day. I really hope the thing sells, I just don't think were getting the full picture yet.
    01-09-2007 09:55 PM

i like pogue, but i wouldnt call him a treo admirer.

I'll wait for mossberg to chime in. i want to see what he feels about the KB.
    01-09-2007 10:47 PM
    ......including a non-replaceable battery. Who ever heard of a cell phone without a removable battery. Jobs totally lost me there!:shake:
    I too read that the battery was not removable and found it difficult to believe. It reminds me of the days when the Treos had non removable batteries and we would just watch them die slowly; it was really quite painful. I like the Apple phone a lot, but, if true, I consider this one of the most serious design flaws. With heavy internet use the battery will be dead in no time at all.
    01-09-2007 10:49 PM
    I love the iPhone because it will force Palm to respond in 07 instead of 09.

On an aside, when Marc says that Palm isn't standing still, that means more than anyone else on this forum saying that. I think (hope?) that Chatter will be bundled with the next Treo device (no reason it shouldn't be and I've emailed Palm several times pleading for it), and I wouldn't be surprised (if I'm right) if Marc knew about and was incorporating features right now for the "Next Big Thing". Just a wild guess, but it just makes so much sense to bundle the best POS app with the Treo.
    01-09-2007 11:05 PM
    Question is can Palm respond. That iphone is alot to live up to. and Palm hasn't been raking in the dough as of late. Take a look at the stock chart....and Palm was down another 6% today...hmmm wonder why?

01-09-2007 11:12 PM
    for you it might trump the treo.

like i said in another thread, i love the screen. if it had a real kb i might be joining you. even at the $1000 it will cost me to probably get an unlocked one so that i can use it on t-mo.

ok, maybe not $1000.
    Aren't they selling them at Apple stores also? I read that on one of the sites today...
    01-09-2007 11:18 PM

I can tell you're definitely keyed-in on the keyboard...pun intended.

With all of the benefits of the package, I'm hoping the keyboard is at least workable to me, but I'm willing to bet it'll be better. Steve doesn't suffer mediocrity.
    01-09-2007 11:25 PM

What is it that you think Mossberg does that users on this board don't?

He is nothing but a writer coupled with his opinion. You think his uses put a device through its paces better than any of us?

bah! mossberg is weak
    01-09-2007 11:49 PM
    I can tell you're definitely keyed-in on the keyboard...pun intended.

With all of the benefits of the package, I'm hoping the keyboard is at least workable to me, but I'm willing to bet it'll be better. Steve doesn't suffer mediocrity.
    That is exactly why the keyboard is a non-issue for me at this point. No 3G, THAT might be an issue, though it might not. There's a LOT of cool stuff going on here that makes me question whether faster download speeds than I'm used to are worth sacrificing all that cool iPhone drool fest stuff. After all, I'm used to my current EDGE speeds, and don't find them painfully annoying - this thing STILL isn't my computer, which is where I prefer surfing. With super fast WiFi, well, that takes the sting out a little, too.
    01-10-2007 12:00 AM
    Aren't they selling them at Apple stores also? I read that on one of the sites today...
    I read that the iPhone won't be available until summer?? Oh, the pain of it all...
    01-10-2007 03:00 AM
    I don't think I want a cellphone, or any mobile device, with a hard disk, or anything, moving or rotating inside.
    And you wouldn't get one with the iPhone either. This bad boy is solid state, just like the 8G iPod Nano.
    01-10-2007 03:07 AM
    Perry,

I know Palm's 07 pipeline is a done deal, but there's reason to believe we might get something revolutionary. Treo prices are dropping-even Palm can acknowledge that. And Ed did say the NBT will be available in 07. I HOPE that's not the LifeDrive, but who knows? Also, weren't there hints that this NBT will run a full desktop OS?

I'm not sure Palm can successfully deliver the NBT anyway, but we'll know soon. The urgency level just got a LOT higher obviously.
    01-10-2007 07:04 AM
    That retardation is widespread doesn't make it genius. If the boys in accounting weren't so terrified of learning something new (hm, sounds familiar...), they wouldn't be writing so many checks to service a computer network that crashes all the time...
    You can go ahead and tell that to the guys who write the checks and see how far it gets you. I'm guessing they won't make the payments on your A8 either, even though you drive it to work...
    01-10-2007 07:21 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD